Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Cavauro posted:

random garbage nfl player Kevin Walker totally pulled bo jackson's hip out of alignment by doing a regular lovely leg grab "tackle" that is used somewhere between 15 and 60 times every sunday, or the strongest player who ever lived visibly did not go down to a leg tackle and immediately used all his power to pull away from it, pulling his own hip out of place. must be the first thing

the raiders are enemy #1 above the steelers for placing a false curse on the bengals. like i said i'll kill the raiders

I liked the part where he ran through the boz like he was some punk cornerback

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

please don't quote me from when i was pissed off and mad.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Thread about 2 teams that are at most a minor speed bump to the AFC teams that actually matter

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Bo is probably the best name. Ever

MrLogan
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about Derek Carr's stolen MVP awards, those dastardly refs, and, oh yeah, having the absolute worst fucking gimmick in The Football Funhouse.

Pron on VHS posted:

Thread about 2 teams that are at most a minor speed bump to the AFC teams that actually matter

The Raiders are four games above .500 against NFL teams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Great job Raiders!

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Yay Raiders

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I declare the Tennessee Titans allies to the Cincinnati Bengals until they inevitably meet in the playoffs.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i kiss the titan

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I'm hearing some reports here that everybody loves the Bengals. *Rustles stack of papers*

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Nice job making it there, Bengals.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Joe Burrow

Now that's money.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
Someone post the Sealab UHOHHHHHH video

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Mega64 posted:

I declare the Tennessee Titans allies to the Cincinnati Bengals until they inevitably meet in the playoffs.

yeah, i can get behind this. geaux burreaux.

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH
This thread aged poorly

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Black Sunshine posted:

This thread aged poorly

Not if the Raiders lose to the Bengals.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Lack of Bo Jackson gifs so far, a shameful TFF

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The NFL is scripted.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Bengals I hope you eliminate the Raiders cause they suck for not doing the tie. Plus I wanna see you and Burrow win.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The Raiders are still allies to the Bengals and will be regardless of the result of this game. Personally I hope to finally put to rest the curse of Bo, respectfully.

Highbrow Slick
Jul 1, 2007

it is a fool who stays alive - but such fools are we.
You wanna ring the bell

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So it has come to this. My takes:

Raiders on offense:

3. How are the refs going to call contested balls? The Raiders have been very good at finding opportunities to throw up contested deep routes where they're either getting a reception or DPI. The Bengals are the least penalized team in the league, but their DBs are physical at the catch point and a lot of their success could have been called DPI by a more hands-on officiating team. If aggressive officiating is reciprocal it still hurts Cincinnati, as it lessens the advantage the Bengals have in receiving talent.

2. Can the Raiders limit Cincinnati's interior pass rush? Hill and Ogunjobi are good pass rushers. Reader doesn't have the sack production but demands doubles and pushes the pocket. Hendrickson will has a capable opponent, but the rest of the Raiders line is not great. I don't think the Raiders feel any better about Leatherwood, Simpson and James than Cinci does Spain, Hopkins and Adeniji. It doesn't hurt that Hubbard will be matched up against a weak RT in Parker, so double teams in the interior will come at a price. If the pass rush isn't a factor for the Bengals Derek is very capable of punishing them.

1. Will Waller take over the game? If Cincinnati can limit Waller without sacrificing the boundaries it's hard to imagine the Raiders scoring the points needed to keep up with the Bengals offense. If Waller is available to Carr it mitigates the pass rush and makes extending drives safe and easy. If the Bengals have to sell out to guard him Carr's deep throws will be much safer. Waller could easily be the most productive receiver in this game.

Bengals on offense:

3. Is Burrow going to use the wheels? In previous games against defenses that could hold up down the field (which the Raiders are) Joe had been able to extend the drive with his legs. Can he do this safely today, and will he need to?

2. What is the run game going to look like? If the Bengals can wear down the starters on the Raiders line it eliminates Vegas's greatest advantage, but if the Bengals devote opportunities to the run and lose out it opens the door for the Raiders to establish a lead and make passing much, much more difficult. Basically every Raider DT was on the injury report and their best interior D-Lineman is out, how banged up are they, and how much of their recent success is going to translate?

1. Can Jonah Williams hold up vs Yannick Ngakoue? IMO this is sneakily the key to the game. Maxx Crosby is going to do terrible things to Isaiah Prince. The Bengals almost certainly are going to be working to help him, and Joe is going to do whatever he can evade the losses they will still take. Williams is probably the best pass protector on the roster, and him being able to take Yannick one-on-one and win a reasonable amount of the matchups would be huge.

General thoughts:

* The Raiders are underrated, and would be even with the Bengals, at least, in a neutral environment. That said, one team played two starters on offense last week and gave one defensive starter spot time, and the other played five brutal quarters about 5.5 days ago and has to spend one of those days traveling. Are the Raiders going to show that? Are the Bengals going to be sharp after, basically, a bye? Does Derek really care about the cold?

* Both teams outclass the opposing offensive line with their defensive line. To me that says it will be an up and down game with momentum shifts. Time of possession is the equalizer when it comes to that mismatch. Is one team going to be able to hold the ball long enough to decide the game?

* What happens if the Raiders ARE able to run? There isn't a lot of reason to expect they will, the Bengals Defense has been very good vs the run and is remarkably healthy. But, if the Raiders can run, are the Bengals going to be able to get explosive plays against a defense that has been remarkably good at preventing them?

* I'd like to mention special teams, but honestly the teams seem very equal here. Great kickers, iffy kick coverage. Slight edge, I guess, to the Raiders because their returners are better.

* Are the Bengals going to Bengal? Are the Raiders going to Raider?

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Eifert Posting posted:

* Both teams outclass the opposing offensive line with their defensive line. To me that says it will be an up and down game with momentum shifts. Time of possession is the equalizer when it comes to that mismatch. Is one team going to be able to hold the ball long enough to decide the game?

Can you elaborate more here?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

matchup

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Starpluck posted:

Can you elaborate more here?

Defensive lines fatigue. Sacks and pressures cause big momentum shifting plays, losses, fumbles, bad throws.

Magicpants
Sep 15, 2011

Certified Poster
this matchup is wild tigers against pirates. watch out for those ferocious jungle cats or those maneaters will hunt you down with their huge claws and fangs. but dont you dismiss those pirates, they are wily and they are armed with blunderbusses.

e: also tigers can smell human flesh from miles away and sneak around and hide in the underbrush. then again pirates could get on their ships and cats dont like water. tough matchup.

Magicpants fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 15, 2022

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
go bengos

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
Please win bengals....

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
This game will probably be good.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Obviously the biggest thing I hope for is a Bengals win, but after that I really hope just neither team does anything incredibly stupid to cost themselves the game. These are two good young fun teams and I don't want either one of them to have their entire season boiled down to "lol what a dumb _____."

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Obviously the biggest thing I hope for is a Bengals win, but after that I really hope just neither team does anything incredibly stupid to cost themselves the game. These are two good young fun teams and I don't want either one of them to have their entire season boiled down to "lol what a dumb _____."

I think that Burfict play at the end of the Steelers game was the closest I've been to having an actual aneurism.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

there aren't any games where people won't say 'wbat a dumb' whatever while jerking their little knockoff slim jims. greasy snack sticks. they love doing that and using the scrolling lol smilies. that's the way it is. someone's going to be bullied. probably me and you

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Eifert Posting posted:

See, I want the opposite of this. That's why it's a shame this couldn't be Chargers/Bengals.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The Puppy Bowl posted:

See, I want the opposite of this. That's why it's a shame this couldn't be Chargers/Bengals.

I think we both know who's more likely to get their way.

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

yo what the gently caress, how on earth have I never seen that before

Starpluck
Sep 11, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

surf rock posted:

yo what the gently caress, how on earth have I never seen that before

And if he hosed that up, he may not even be looking for a new team, but an entirely new league.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Game of friendship

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
:powercatte:

THE BENGOS HAVE WON THE SUPER BWOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Eifert Posting posted:

The football gods saw the loophole here:

"I really hope just neither team does anything incredibly stupid"

Forgot to say anything about the refs.