Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Problem description: With no warning my PC is running at what seems like 1% of its normal speed. The normal initial splash screen to choose a boot device seems fine, but the ASROCK with the spinning load indicator stays up for minutes when it's usually 15-20 seconds to get to my desktop. When it does get to Windows the mouse moves normal speed, but clicking anything takes on the scale of a minute to respond.

My wife experienced it Monday, then it booted up fine when I got home. Last night was my first time seeing it run so slowly. I restarted a few times when it was trying to load and ended up at the Windows repair screen. That ran incredibly slowly as well and said it didn't find any issues. Before last night it hasn't been running poorly, crashing, or anything.

Attempted fixes: At first I thought Windows wasn't working at all, so I burned a bunch of time trying to make a new install USB. Me being distracted doing that is when I realized it was actually booting, just incredibly slowly. I haven't figured out how to search Google for PC runs slowly without getting a bunch of hits for doing ccleaner type stuff.

Recent changes: Windows updates?

Operating system: Windows 10

System specs:
AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3466 CL16 Memory (Running slower than 3466 due to motherboard compatability)
Samsung 860 Evo 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (C:/ drive)
Seagate SV35.5 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (D:/ drive pulled from old PC for picture storage)
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC2 Video Card
EVGA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I'd disconnect the D drive temporarily and see if that speeds things up.

You could also disconnect the video card and try using onboard video temporarily to see if things loads quicker.

That would isolate the issue a little more.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Zogo posted:

I'd disconnect the D drive temporarily and see if that speeds things up.

You could also disconnect the video card and try using onboard video temporarily to see if things loads quicker.

That would isolate the issue a little more.

Got it in one, it seems. It has now booted up normally twice without the D drive.

So that thing is toast? Not surprising, if so, I suppose. It was originally from 2013, at best.

e: Also one million times, thank you. Very doubtful I would have been able to troubleshoot that on my own under good circumstances, but being on tilt after lovely work weeks months I was ready to just say gently caress it, buy everything except a video card, and figure it out some other time. You're the savior of Deep Rock Galactic night to kick-off vacation.

Blowjob Overtime fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Dec 23, 2021

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Blowjob Overtime posted:

So that thing is toast?

Possibly. There's a small chance the power cable/SATA cable went bad.

So you could try connecting it with different cables and to a different port on the motherboard. If it's still slow then you could try connecting it through and external USB enclosure to see if you can get data from it that way.

You could also run CDI to check the HD health:
https://osdn.net/projects/crystaldiskinfo/downloads/76462/CrystalDiskInfo8_13_3.exe/

Blowjob Overtime posted:

e: Also one million times, thank you. Very doubtful I would have been able to troubleshoot that on my own under good circumstances, but being on tilt after lovely work weeks months I was ready to just say gently caress it, buy everything except a video card, and figure it out some other time. You're the savior of Deep Rock Galactic night to kick-off vacation.

No problem.

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Zogo feeling the love. Good on ya.