Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
I was in frants douring a tour de frants and it made the bastille or somewhere crowded but the world cup was happening at the same time and i didn't really care about the bicycle race.

SIDE NOTE: Breaking Away starring Daniel Stern and Randy Quaid is a great movie about bicycles and the perils of wanting to be I-talian

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTZ0N7VTDtY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Klyith posted:

Other sports and races, you have a league commissioner or FIFA or whatever who is in charge. If the NFL changes the Tuck Rule or FIFA changes the definition of offsides, and you don't like it, you can't sue to stop them. The courts would tell you to gently caress off, they're free to run their sport however they like. If you don't like it go make your own football league.

America's Cup is different. The ultimate authority isn't a commissioner or league, it's a legal deed. The guys who originally had the trophy gave it to the NY Yacht Club with a deed that set conditions for how to have a race, and that anyone who won the cup would have to defend it in future races. That deed is based in New York City, so if you think the current owner isn't following the deed you can sue them over it. The NY state court system is the final authority for the sport.

The deed dates from the 1800s. They knew about steam power so they made "propelled by sails only" explicit. But they didn't know about catamarans or hydrofoils or carbon fiber. So, uh, does a catamaran count as a "yacht"? Is a giant rigid carbon fiber wing-blade a "sail"? The original deed said that each side's boat had to "constructed" in their respective home countries, what does that mean in the modern world? Well, you could settle those questions like gentlemen with friendly handshake deals. Or you could drag your opponent into court.

(Actually they do manage to have the race with friendly terms most of the time, but that also makes it more boring -- if everyone agrees to sail the exact same design of boat, what's the point of a "built your own boat" challenge? The one thing that makes America's Cup cool is the history of extreme & crazy boats.)

That’s pretty drat weird. Didn’t know that. Thanks!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

“Dakar” is about to start in Saudi Arabia.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

teardrop posted:

Also, if that part was real, a car with a boost button powered by likes on social media doesn’t sound like a real car either

reminder that formula e also has actual factual mario kart booster zones with a cgi effect overlaid on them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBc8B8KuM5E&t=73s

none of this is the most fucky thing the FIA have done this year

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Yes. You are a monster if you hate wiener dog races
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fV7G7zjGjo

Corgi races are also enjoyable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4_2njKmMdU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay_Zombie
Apr 20, 2007

We're sealing the tunnel!
Put me down for $500 bucks on Mary Poopins.