Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tingfinder
Oct 21, 2013
This only hurts the users. Trying to find a how-to video or a guide, the dislike button was a way to find out of the guide actually worked, if you went to a how-to video and it was disliked, then it was probably not worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Tingfinder posted:

This was obviously done to protect major corporations from backlash from their increasingly anti-consumer practices, and immense greed.

I don't think anyone believes the blatant lie they told to justify this.

I think you'll find that at least 30% of people fully believe the blatant lie they told to justify it.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

its all nice on rice posted:

Who TF actually clicks the (dis)like buttons?
That precious time could be spent clicking the next youtube video.

I like to contribute to society and give people a helpful hint if the video is indeed awful. But now I’m only helping the creator of the video by clicking dislike. That’s if they even care about that information.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
If I want to share information about a video I prefer to chat with people in the comments section.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
How many videos did you watch that weren't stuff like 1.4k likes and 13 dislikes anyway

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

buglord posted:

YouTube already gets $10 a month from me because they correctly guessed that i'd pony up that amount to avoid the hell that is advertising (and even then there's still in-video ads that talk about skillshare/raid shadow legends.

Get SponsorBlock, it does a really good job of eliminating in-video ads.

crazy eyes mustafa
Nov 30, 2014

Pladdicus posted:

it really bummed me out to see dislike spikes whenever any particular channel featured a trans person on any level, so trading that for not being able to brigade blizzard making a mobile diablo game or people who disliked the rewind having to yell about it on twitter rather than click a thumbs down or whatever seems worth it to me.

“Awesome”

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Lol @ iphone users

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

buglord posted:

YouTube already gets $10 a month from me because they correctly guessed that i'd pony up that amount to avoid the hell that is advertising (and even then there's still in-video ads that talk about skillshare/raid shadow legends.

is it? I can kinda see it but i've learned to distrust anything a tech company says about anything so i'm of the mind its done to get me to watch more vids but now im less willing to spend time on a video that im unsure of because of the like ratio being gone.

there are ads on youtube?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

every view should automatically convert into a dislike unless you click the like button

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

there's nothing greater than hate watching some terrible video overloaded with dislikes and they forgot to turn the comments off, these social media sites sure seem to hate interacting with other people socially

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

they could have at least made it so you can't rate and see ratings for videos until an ad has been successfully viewed until it is skippable

not allowing people to see ratings on videos is a huge and very dangerous moral hazard

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
The only time I ever even thought about likes/dislikes was when Ellen made her bullshit apology that everyone hated after everyone found out she was godawful to work for.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I am finally able to see the dislike count on the Rick Perry presidential ad again for the first time in months. G*d bless Vanced YouTube (only available on Android™)

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i had to take this boring rear end seminar on metaethics in college and i think this is a win for one of those nerds

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

Tiberius Christ posted:

there's nothing greater than hate watching some terrible video overloaded with dislikes and they forgot to turn the comments off, these social media sites sure seem to hate interacting with other people socially

That's the big problem with the internet, most of the people using it are people too dysfunctional to socialize with others in real life.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

20 Blunts posted:

i had to take this boring rear end seminar on metaethics in college and i think this is a win for one of those nerds

Tech bros bad, there we go ethical problems solved for another generation.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like that they removed the dislikes because seeing the dislikes hurt my feelings

**is now the only person the dislikes are visible to**

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sometime in the last 4-5 years I got very detached from the internet as a whole, I don't think I've watched a video on youtube in quite a while and I've never seen it as a place to "find content" or whatever, it was just a video hosting site like waffleimages was for images. I wouldn't miss it if they got rid of the whole site

It never needed anything except volume control and fullscreen buttons, I never engaged with likes/dislikes/channels/subscribing/etc in any fashion

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Youtube is to videos what Teen Cosmo is to literature

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Surprisingly leftist?

E: maybe that was Teen Vogue, hmm

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

deep dish peat moss posted:

Sometime in the last 4-5 years I got very detached from the internet as a whole, I don't think I've watched a video on youtube in quite a while and I've never seen it as a place to "find content" or whatever, it was just a video hosting site like waffleimages was for images. I wouldn't miss it if they got rid of the whole site

It never needed anything except volume control and fullscreen buttons, I never engaged with likes/dislikes/channels/subscribing/etc in any fashion

I'm in the same boat but I think that basically makes us "I don't even own a TV" people these days.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I have a hard time getting engaged with video media / anything with sound so I don’t really use YouTube beyond tutorials. But being able to subscribe to a channel and / or make a favorite list for when I wanna learn to hang a picture with a laser level to avoid Grovering my dwelling is p useful

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug
I really don't care, and I'm glad to see my fellow indifferent goons in this thread.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Pladdicus posted:

it really bummed me out to see dislike spikes whenever any particular channel featured a trans person on any level, so trading that for not being able to brigade blizzard making a mobile diablo game or people who disliked the rewind having to yell about it on twitter rather than click a thumbs down or whatever seems worth it to me.

Ah, that was the one. Blizzard literally had youtube remove dislikes on that video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
If anything, I find I watch youtube more these days as I enjoy the video essay format as a quick way of learning about or considering a topic.
I never really like or dislike videos though, and usually if a video is to show me how to do something I will check the comments to see if anyone feels it is not a good tutorial.
I guess dislikes could be a faster way of determining that.