Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

blight rhino posted:

are there any plants besides cacti that you can grow indoors with virtually no sun exposure?

Definitely a Sansevieria variety. They'll survive and grow in a dark closet, and thrive and get huge with even a slight amount of light, water and care. they are also the easiest plant in existence to clone. you just cut a leaf off and put it in a pot. couple months later, new plant. it's how i started with plants. you can get some variety of them at any home goods store, you've probably seen them in a dentists office or something

Mr. Meagles fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

My partner who is a plant hoarder person says that Wandering Jew is now called Wandering Dude

This was a good call I never liked that name.

I just stick to aquarium plants now, don't have to worry about them much. I do need to get in there and do some tidying up soon tho, the vals have started to take over and it's looking pretty janky.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
For indoor plants that will survive tremendous neglect, I recommend schlumbergera cacti. In fact, I've been watering some for two hours because my stupid depression brain forgot to water them since August. Bonus:if you actually take care of them, they are reliable and grow flowers every winter. They will survive indoors perfectly fine, but prefer a cold window and long dark nights in the winter.

I would suggest any pink variety, because cactus flowers are extremely vivid and don't translate to photo as well (but still bright), but any variety except for the Aspen cultivars are super easy. I've got like fifty different kinds and my aspens always look like they're on the verge of death and have flowered once in five years. Samba Brasil is my favorite kind.

You may also know them as Christmas / Easter / Holiday / Thanksgiving cactus, but unless you're a nerd you won't be able to tell the difference when they're not flowering and it'll just cuz Facebook-tier arguments among people as to which one they are.

You can probably find some discounted at grocery stores and home depots right now, or ask the nearest old person for a piece of theirs.

My oldest is about forty/fifty years old, older than me, and about three feet wide. It's not flowering much this year but it still has about fifty neon pink flowers.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

blight rhino posted:

I was stupid years old when I came to this realization. I was a truth-treer for longer than I'd like to admit.

are there any plants besides cacti that you can grow indoors with virtually no sun exposure?

Plain old Pothos are practically impossible to kill

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
Also the rule is to call wandering jew plants just Tradescantia now because so many people are offended by the usage of the word jew.

You can troll Facebook plant groups very easily by either calling them wandering jews, or post literally any plant and say black lives matter. A bunch of plant groups are either super racist or super anti-racist and a BLM comment will immediately result in chaos in a racist group

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Plain old Pothos are practically impossible to kill

gently caress pothos I can't keep them alive I swear to God, they suck.

Philodendron though, any type, is my jazz. Example: I've had a bushy philodendron brasil in the nonheated garage above freezing but consistently at about forty degrees with exposure to freezing Temps in Minnesota and not a single leaf has dropped.

Meanwhile I have a pothos that is literally just a vine with no leaves that I actually care for. gently caress pothos

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Mr. Meagles posted:

Definitely a Sansevieria variety. They'll survive and grow in a dark closet, and thrive and get huge with even a slight amount of light, water and care. they are also the easiest plant in existence to clone. you just cut a leaf off and put it in a pot. couple months later, new plant. it's how i started with plants. you can get some variety of them at any home goods store, you've probably seen them in a dentists office or something

We have a few snake plants and they're awesome.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

its all nice on rice posted:

OP said plants not cats.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

house plant

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deadeyez posted:

gently caress pothos I can't keep them alive I swear to God, they suck.

Philodendron though, any type, is my jazz. Example: I've had a bushy philodendron brasil in the nonheated garage above freezing but consistently at about forty degrees with exposure to freezing Temps in Minnesota and not a single leaf has dropped.

Meanwhile I have a pothos that is literally just a vine with no leaves that I actually care for. gently caress pothos

Huh weird. Mrs Bags has a pothos up in the corner where it gets zero sun and the drat thing is absolutely thriving. There’s a brazil right next to it that she’s gonna move somewhere else because it’s dropping leaves like crazy.

Plants, who knows what they’re thinking? :shrug:

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
Lol that's crazy

Oh hey I didn't finish watering and organizing because I think I have covid and my fragile idiot mental state shattered and I ended up watching Netflix all night

If I die who will take care of my plants lol

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

a few DRUNK BONERS posted:

you can't own a plant, man

they belong to Mother Nature. not yours to own op. Get over yourself

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

Huh weird. Mrs Bags has a pothos up in the corner where it gets zero sun and the drat thing is absolutely thriving. There’s a brazil right next to it that she’s gonna move somewhere else because it’s dropping leaves like crazy.

"Water me you bald ape"

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Bags Fly at Noon posted:

I'm the humidifier trying to keep these plants in the corner at the ceiling alive.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Full Metal Jackass posted:

I'm the humidifier trying to keep these plants in the corner at the ceiling alive.

No there are actually other plants in a series of lighted shelves below the humidifier. The humidity drifts down for them. The pothos is very much alive and happy. The Brazil has been moved to one of the indoor greenhouses.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I find my plants to be a really good depression-ometer. I have a bunch that are very resilient but will droop sadly when I don't pay attention to them, and I've got myself trained to notice that they're sad and realize I'm probably depressed. It's good for breaking out of those thought patterns, plus it gives me something very easy to do that helps another living thing and has visible positive results, which is also therapeutic.

Also, I grew a potted avocado tree from a seed. It's about seven feet tall now! Only recently after two and a half years has it started to grow any branches, and I'm pretty sure that was only because I trimmed the top several times. They really want to be leafy sticks.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
I planted a popcorn in a pot and it's growing stupid fast, I wonder what it will be, hopefully more popcorns!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Mooey Cow posted:

I planted a popcorn in a pot and it's growing stupid fast, I wonder what it will be, hopefully more popcorns!

Lol pics please

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
I’ll have you know that I only have two pairs of sweat pants, which I’d hardly call “hoarding”. How dare you.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Outrail posted:

Lol pics please

i'm also growing some other things there in the pots to the side, ie grass and rose, and marigold. The grass planted itself tbh.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Nice corn

I'm not sure 'indoor potted lawn' is going to take off but I like the thinking.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Outrail posted:

Nice corn

I'm not sure 'indoor potted lawn' is going to take off but I like the thinking.

They sell tiny indoor lawns for cats to chew on.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

GORDON posted:

They sell tiny indoor lawns for cats to chew on.

I forgot about that. I had the image of a small pot of perfectly manicured lawn. Perfect for high rise apartment dwelling boomer dads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home

Outrail posted:

I forgot about that. I had the image of a small pot of perfectly manicured lawn. Perfect for high rise apartment dwelling boomer dads.

This is genius.