Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Welcome to my invitation to madness and certain doom Call of Cthulhu recruitment thread! A kind Trad Games Secret Santa gifted me a 7th edition scenarios book, which spurred me onto checking out the 7th edition rulebook. A lot has changed since the last edition I played and ran (4th edition!), and pretty much all for the better. I am fired up about running CoC again with a system that now actually supports finding clues and tracking down leads (and yes, of course Trail of Cthulhu already does that, but I am a sucker for Chaosium's BRP system---I am always still down to run a Stormbringer/Elric! RPG anytime, anywhere).

So here's the skinny:
  • Looking for 3-4 players who can post at least every other day.
  • Will be running a set of one-shot scenarios, but PCs can possibly be carried over.
  • Forums PBP and PMs only. I'm a pseudo-luddite who doesn't do Discord (but open to other options, maybe IRC?).
  • I use Orokos for rolling dice.
  • Maybe goes without saying, but this is a horror game with some very not nice things.

If you are interested, please create a PC with the following guidelines:
  • Setting info: San Antonio, Texas, in April 2016. The Greater San Antonio metropolitan area is the third largest in Texas, with eight counties and encompassing many unincorporated and incorporated areas. The city itself is in central Texas, roughly 75 miles south of the capital Austin. Law enforcement agencies include the San Antonio Police Department, Bexar County Sheriff’s Office, Texas Highway Patrol, and Texas Rangers (last two have state-wide jurisdiction).
  • At least one PC should have a logical reason to be closely involved in the investigation of a kidnapping of a minor. The other PCs should either have a connection to the aforementioned PC, or also have some reason why law enforcement or the victims would involve them. (PCs don't necessarily have to know each other at the start.)
  • You can choose between Options 3 and 4 to generate your character (i.e., five 3d6 rolls+three 2d6+6, then place wherever you want and multiply by 5, or else 460 points to divvy up as you like).
  • Please don't neglect the Backstory part of character creation! Also, please also note any immediate family members (parents and siblings, if any).
  • edit: The Dhole’s House has a handy character creation and storage tool, though you do need to register an account. Chaosium has an autofill PDF sheet for download here.

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Jan 2, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Reserving for game admin stuff

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
I've always wanted to give the BRP system a try, so I rolled some dice, and I'll check out the book and make something.

Piell fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 2, 2022

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
yeah i've rolled some dice as well, haven't played CoC in a drat long time

edit: can we get some more setting detail? I'm presuming the USA but, like, small town? Big city? Maine?

Barbara 'Babs' Matthews.
Police Detective (Texas Department of Public Safety (Criminal Investigations Division (Special Investigative Section.)))

Mid 20's, college educated, Democrat voter, her girlfriend broke up with her for being a cop so fills the void left in her life with work and her pet cat. Parents (divorced) and 2 older brothers still alive, mother owns the family home in Austin TX.

Babs grew up idolizing her uncle Bob Matthews, a Texas Ranger retired after losing an arm in the line of duty. When her parents were fighting she would go to his house and beg to be told 'war stories' or play with his collection of 'confiscated' items until called home, and although he never encouraged her when she talked about following in his footsteps, his death in a suspicious house fire linked to 'cult activity' while she was away at college galvanized her determination. Her exposure to radical viewpoints via her relationship with activist and community organizer Sophie Ordonez took the polish off the idea of a career in policing but her education in forensic science left limited options for paying back expensive loans so she took an offer from the Department of Public Safety. She's not a Ranger, but the bills get paid, crimes get solved, and very occasionally someone gets helped. Her current assignment is as liaison between the state, city, county and federal authorities on a missing persons case involving a kidnapped minor. High priority.

edit: shuffled some points around

thatbastardken fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 9, 2022

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

thatbastardken posted:

yeah i've rolled some dice as well, haven't played CoC in a drat long time

edit: can we get some more setting detail? I'm presuming the USA but, like, small town? Big city? Maine?

Oops, knew I forgot something. This will be set in San Antonio, Texas (added more info to first post).

ibntumart fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jan 2, 2022

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
Interest post, I'll have something up in a day or two.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Logan McKinley
Police Detective - San Antonio Police Department - Special Victims Unit, Missing Persons Squad

Logan was born to John McKinley, an Army veteran, and Anna McKinley in Port Arthur, TX. His childhood was pretty simple and quiet, though he did look up to his father and enjoyed hearing his stories when he was in the service. When he was 10 years old, his childhood was shattered when a group of kidnappers seized him and shot and killed his father. To this day, Logan doesn't remember what exactly happened to him when he was taken away except for one painful memory when his father's killers carved a strange symbol into his back. The police eventually showed up, killed the kidnappers, and rescued him. Logan was told the reasons for the kidnapping was likely for money, as the kidnappers were high on a smorgasbord of psychedelic drugs and intended to ransom him to get more. However no ransom note was ever officially delivered, little information on the suspects or their activities could be found, and the case was quickly and quietly buried.

Logan and his mother both moved on as best they could and eventually went to live in San Antonio. Although plagued with recurring nightmares of the incident and struggling through therapy, he managed to graduate high school and college with a degree in criminal psychology. Inspired by his father and a burning desire for justice, Logan made his way into the San Antonio Police Department and eventually to their Special Victims Unit. Throughout his entire police career, he'd wear his father's dog tags as a memento and to remind him why he does what he does.

He can be a brooding and short tempered man, but can still work well with others and is very passionate about his job . Growing up, he found himself strangely attracted to the occult and the supernatural and formed a hobby studying it. Although considered aloof and odd by his comrades, no one on the police force doubts his abilities or his investigation skills.

Recently, Logan has been assigned a case investigating the kidnapping of a minor. Something about the details of the case, however, seem oddly familiar...and his nightmares seemed to have gotten more intense...

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jan 7, 2022

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug

David O'Clanahan, FBI Forensics Expert

Born in Point Pleasant, WV, David's childhood was marked by a brush with a world he can't explain. While camping in his family's backyard, he encountered the local cryptid, Mothman. Or, at least, it fit the description: almost invisible in the dark, something with wings and a deformed shape landed on the family's shed just a few feet away, making bizarre buzzing noises that occasionally veered close to human speech as it stared at him. Terrified, he ran into the house and got his parents, but there was no sign of it by the time he returned, and they laughed it off as a nightmare. When he crept out the next morning to retrieve his tent, almost believing he had imagined it after all, he noticed a clear foul-smelling slime dripping down the roof of the shed. But within minutes the rising sun boiled it all away.

From that day forward, David became fixated on scientific investigation. If it can be explained, it can't be feared. High grades and a science scholarship got him into Yale, where he went into forensic science and made connections which landed him a position with the FBI upon graduation. David has come to San Antonio to investigate a kidnapping at the request of the police department. His position is technically only advisory at the moment, but the unspoken concern is that the kidnapper may have crossed state lines at some point, and the SAPD clearly wants to avoid accusations of dragging their feet by getting the feds involved early. For his own part, David's superiors have already raised concerns that he gets too personally involved in cases. Only time will tell if it will happen again.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

so far 3 of us have rolled Luck and got 6, 6, 7. that seems ominous.

ibntumart are you open to the Experienced Investigators and Transferable Skill Benefit optional rules?

Mid-Boss
Mar 3, 2013
Judge Taylor, Park Ranger - Big Bend National Park

Born and raised in San Antonio, Judge never did like city life. If asked why, he'd tell you it was his father's fault for always taking him out of the city to camp, hunt and fish as kid. Just out of sight of civilization, his father, a former army scout, taught him the basics of wilderness survival and spurred a lifelong passion. Not long after high school, he left to visit his older brother in Alaska, set out into the wild, and came back months later, a little more lean, but alive, having proved to himself that he was capable living off the land. One degree in ecology later, he moved back to Texas to be closer to his parents and there he fell in love, divorced (amicably), and ultimately found himself working for the National Park Service, a job he loved and continues to love until this day.

Judge is the consummate outdoorsman. Rugged, tough and weatherbeaten, he's spent years alone in the wilderness, sometimes returning to civilization to offer his expertise to the various law enforcement agencies of Texas (usually to help track down missing persons or lost hikers, dead or alive) or visit his aging parents.

While he was never a particularly handsome man, a freak encounter with a mountain lion left the lion dead and Judge down a pinky finger and with disfiguring scars across his face and arms. Despite encountering the worst that nature and men have to offer Judge remains warm, upbeat, and unafraid to be alone in the wild. As for the scars, they're nothing a bushy beard, big sunglasses and a hat nearly as banged up as he is can't (poorly) hide.

Mid-Boss fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 6, 2022

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice

thatbastardken posted:

so far 3 of us have rolled Luck and got 6, 6, 7. that seems ominous.

ibntumart are you open to the Experienced Investigators and Transferable Skill Benefit optional rules?

Transferable Skill Benefit rule is fine; I don’t have a copy of the Investigator’s Handbook yet, though, so will have to say no to the Experienced Investigators option.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

ibntumart posted:

Transferable Skill Benefit rule is fine; I don’t have a copy of the Investigator’s Handbook yet, though, so will have to say no to the Experienced Investigators option.

cool cool cool

is there going to be an issue if the party is Oops! All Cops!? I might recreate as a doctor or something if so.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

College Slice
Quick update: skimmed through all submissions. and will go over everyone’s sheets and backgrounds more carefully tonight. Also:

thatbastardken posted:

is there going to be an issue if the party is Oops! All Cops!? I might recreate as a doctor or something if so.

Having all law enforcement PCs will be fine. But also plenty of time if you want to redo as some other role!

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

how's it going ibntumart?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Are any of you in touch with ibntumart outside of SA? If so, please PM me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no, sorry.