Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

WarioWare is a long-running side series starring Mario's greedy, gross doppelganger Wario based around microgames: minigames so mini that you only play them for a few seconds, then you're whisked off to the next one in rapid succession. The series is modestly successful but beloved among those who've played it, particularly in how each game finds a different spin on the base concept.
This 2021 Switch entry brings us another creative gimmick: all of those colorful, crazy characters Wario's gathered up over the years? Now you actually play as them in the microgames! Each character has a distinct moveset and limitations, and there are now multiple ways to solve each microgame depending on the character. Unless you get 9-Volt, where you win the game by quitting.

Wario's Excuse This Time: While the WarioWare crew are hard at work on their next game, a plethora of bugs cause the cast to get pulled inside the game. Playing as each character, you must complete the microgames to fight off the bugs, fix the game, and free all of the characters. Sadly with much less voice acting and nowhere as much love and care to the story as we got in Gold.

JigglyJacob returns from his previous, gloriously absurd romps in WarioWare: Smooth Moves and WarioWare Gold to lead this LP. Myself (ThornBrain) and MugiStraw return to just sit back and laugh in a stupor. Jacob's partner CJ also plays co-op with him for Part 5, but they don't take part in the commentary.
This LP is a straightforward, three-part playthrough of the Story Mode, plus two more parts looking at the extra goodies in the game, including the new ability to play the story mode in co-op.

---------------------------------------

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 31, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

This seems like a wonderfully silly game.

Chicken Thumbs
Oct 21, 2020

Time is dead and meaning has no meaning!
I have mixed feelings about this particular Warioware but I'm glad they tried to shake things up.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
This game just vanished off everyone's radar the same week it was released, I remember people talking about it and then nothing.

While I did buy it I feel it was rather overpriced for its offering, I have played every previous WarioWare title and I still felt there was just something missing from this one, maybe the lack of voice acting after Gold soured me a bit?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Learning that Jimmy T's microgames are all about sports hosed me up.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Judge Tesla posted:

This game just vanished off everyone's radar the same week it was released, I remember people talking about it and then nothing.

While I did buy it I feel it was rather overpriced for its offering, I have played every previous WarioWare title and I still felt there was just something missing from this one, maybe the lack of voice acting after Gold soured me a bit?

That and there are no ' concluding stories' really reduces the charm, alas.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Didnt know Warioware became an imsim

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

What happened to Penny? It's a secret! Apparently.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I was hoping we could somehow get Lulu as a playable character, despite how random that is. She also looks like she has quite the practical moveset (if this was a platformer).

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

This game was also a budget, for Nintendo, release which makes me wonder if Nintendo felt a little dubious about the future of the franchise.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
They could very easily make warioware for phones which would give the series plenty of longetivity, but then I suppose they would have to come up with some new way to screw over the user with microtransaction insentives.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

That drat bird and his drat tongue

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

I was one of the people who played the insane 9-Volt challenge on the first Wario Cup, the best I could manage after an hour or so of attempts was a Bronze, it was fun but one hell of a way to start things.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I may have just been a madwoman and used the Wario Cup segment to get in some extra reps on my Ring-Con. One rep, one game.

gently caress you, 9-volt.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
The whole gift giving thing sounds like a desperate attempt to keep people playing after they finished the main story. I mean it's as good as reason as any, but I don't think it would keep me amused for very long.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Tombot posted:

The whole gift giving thing sounds like a desperate attempt to keep people playing after they finished the main story. I mean it's as good as reason as any, but I don't think it would keep me amused for very long.

Alt colours can be funny for about 15 minutes then you just stop playing altogether like I did, there's really nothing keeping me wanting to return to this WarioWare like previous ones.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes WarioWare: Get It Together! Thanks for watching folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

An odd game but oddly charming. It definitely feels like something's missing but a few of those competitive modes that added a new wrinkle on top of the mini-games really did add something back in.