Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

thinking of doing a new thing where I pretend I cant tell rap and country apart

Rap is for poor black people what country is for poor white people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing
It's a mistake to think that Black people can't be country and/or western, though. There is erasure of Black people in the country music industry and marketing.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
the south shall lie flat on its face again!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Country has been popular among upper crust dumbass jersey types for a while now and so is rap but it's the country that gets played as (bad) wedding songs. We call it "poo poo kicker music" in my house.

I'm cool tho. Our first dance song was New Disaster by Elliott Smith.

:cool:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Cafe Barbarian posted:

It's a mistake to think that Black people can't be country and/or western, though. There is erasure of Black people in the country music industry and marketing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C02M0bd53AM

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

kntfkr posted:

Country has been popular among upper crust dumbass jersey types for a while now and so is rap but it's the country that gets played as (bad) wedding songs. We call it "poo poo kicker music" in my house.

I'm cool tho. Our first dance song was New Disaster by Elliott Smith.

:cool:

Our first dance was to “Then” by Brad Paisley, one of many country wedding songs my wife picked despite Miami not even remotely being part of the South. Being a cool guy, I of course picked Foreigner’s “Feels like the First Time” for the garter toss.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

signalnoise posted:

Counterpoint to this and the OP at the same time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ8fmuTHN7g

Wow, I forgot about this awesome song that I always loved :allears:

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

YeahTubaMike posted:

Wow, I forgot about this awesome song that I always loved :allears:

member this bullshit? lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oe9qb5yPQgA

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Cafe Barbarian posted:

Willie Nelson said Ray Charles did more for country music than any other artist.

but Bob Wills is still the king i guess

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Uuuuuuuggggghhhh yes :cripes:

Even more annoying than "Halle Berry", if such a thing is possible

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Southern rap is a thing, OP. Might I recommend Jelly Roll?

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

Cafe Barbarian posted:

its funny how much country riffs off cowboy culture when they were mostly the absolute lowest classes, because the job was such poo poo, and made up of mostly non white people. something like a 1/4 of cowboys were black!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyqs0PoBgE

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Rest in peace, Bushwick Bill. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yaldabaoth posted:

Rap is for poor black people what country is for poor white people.

actually country is for rich white people

poor white people listen to slipknot and ICP

country music is for people who own brand new F-150s

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Hello Sailor posted:

Southern rap is a thing, OP. Might I recommend Jelly Roll?

Proposal to make this a Southern rap instead, whether or not country is also involved

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5W73HaVQBg

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

no people say they don't like rap and country because they hate poor people.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
other than country and rap what is there? Muse?

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

precision posted:

country music is for people who own brand new F-150s

Hey, it's not just poor white people. My other half is regrettably a juggalo who legit cried when the drummer from slipknot died and he's not white. Admittedly, he was raised by white folk, but there are apparently a lot of juggalos on the rez.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Everything but rap and country died when the towers fell. Toby Keith made that one dumbass song and the Wu Tang Clan made that song about killing terrorists.

Your theory is 21 years late.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

a new study bible! posted:

Everything but rap and country died when the towers fell. Toby Keith made that one dumbass song and the Wu Tang Clan made that song about killing terrorists.

Don't forget the USA remix of "Raise Up" by Petey Pablo, true Southern rapper.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

20 Blunts posted:

other than country and rap what is there? Muse?

I hear a lot of stuff that goes “hey ho” and has a kick drum these days

Cafe Barbarian
Apr 22, 2016

There's one roulade I can't sing

EA Sports posted:

its funny how much country riffs off cowboy culture when they were mostly the absolute lowest classes, because the job was such poo poo, and made up of mostly non white people. something like a 1/4 of cowboys were black!

Yeah I feel like a huge amount of cowboy culture comes from latin sources, like the wide brim hat comes from sombreros, chaps are from spanish colonized areas, a lot of cowboys were latin and black, but that got whitewashed in the movie biz and the huge TV western industry of the 50s into stories where all the speaking roles are white.

So that concerns western stuff, but on the country side I feel like there's a seemingly ignored history where the banjo is an african instrument, you get the minstrel acts of the 1870s on with white performers in blackface performing fake slave music on banjos and doing comedy skits about Black people. In the era 1910-1930 or so this becomes socially unacceptable, and then some of those same performers continue without the blackface, and the music is marketed as old timey music from appalachia and the minstrel show becomes Hee Haw, with the same jokes but about hicks or rednecks instead of Black slaves.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

signalnoise posted:

YALL DONE UP N DONE IT MAN YALL DONE UP N DONE IT

gently caress. I actually played this loud tonight, I haven't listened to it in at least six or eight years. I 'm from Kentucky and was in college when Nappy Roots was coming up, some friends came up from Bowling Green with this song on a mixtape before it was released on a label.

On that first listen in years, I knew almost every lyric, I wore this song the gently caress out.

What we do to get here? SAY DAT BOY.

PLUS YOU KNOW THEY GOT DRO

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K71AbGKq5Zk

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

precision posted:

That's poor northern white people, well the younger ones. The poor white northern boomers listen to classic butt rock.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Mozi posted:

well my name's rappin cow and i'm here to say
i like to chew my cud most every day
people try to tip me that's some kind of hooey
cause when i fall down i just go mooey mooey

:five:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Mozi posted:

well my name's rappin cow and i'm here to say
i like to chew my cud most every day
people try to tip me that's some kind of hooey
cause when i fall down i just go mooey mooey

finally some rap music that is not about bling, necklaces, gold necklaces, expensive cars, rap guns, and bling jewelry

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Oh America.:allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zL6Xh7umuMw

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Every time i listen to rap i have to listen to a country song and vice versa, they cancel each other out hope this helps op

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

a new study bible! posted:

bin laden weed is my favorite country song

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Grape posted:

With the exception of Everlast, every single one of the countryish rap songs posted here is from the South. I'm not really sure if that's part of the point being made, or is the point being missed.

Yeah that's how country works