Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I have been personally harmed by capitalism.
This poll is closed.
Agree 73 80.22%
Disagree 18 19.78%
Total: 91 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

quarantinethepast posted:

Where did you get that info from? The exact number is irrelevant but a stat to show the concept of surplus labor in action could be helpful in arguments.

CEO salaries are pretty low. Jeff bezo has a salary of 88,840 a year. It's just that wages are not how CEOs are paid anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

quarantinethepast posted:

Where did you get that info from? The exact number is irrelevant but a stat to show the concept of surplus labor in action could be helpful in arguments.
I just googled "CEO to worker pay ratio", and this came up saying it was 351 to 1 in 2020.

$1/351=$0.002849=0.28 cents

I admit I know nothing of this particular source, but I have seen similar numbers before. I remember reading some stories like "CEOs earn in a day what the average worker earns in a year" back when it was around 260 to 1 (the number of working days per year).

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

CEO salaries are pretty low. Jeff bezo has a salary of 88,840 a year. It's just that wages are not how CEOs are paid anymore.
The link I posted says it includes stocks and other compensation, with an average CEO pay of about $24 million. Which is stupid high, but not Musk or Bezos stupid. But it does mean that for a worker to accurately say "boss makes a dollar, I make a dime", they need to be earning about $2.4 million per year.

Inferior Third Season fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Feb 8, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Lmao.

It's .28 cents. I kept reading it as 28c or
$0.28. Which seemed high.

Trollologist
Mar 3, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have to pay to rent movies. And so for internet.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Even when I worked at the local zoo, which is a nonprofit corp essentially responsible for managing a public land grant, the CEO made well over 10x what the lowest paid employees made. “Boss makes a dollar I make a dime” is unthinkably equitable in modern capitalism outside of maybe a sandwich stand with 10 employees total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mafic Rhyolite
Nov 7, 2020

by Hand Knit
Boss made a dollar
Grandad made a dime
But that was poem from a simpler time

Boss made a thousand
Gave pa a cent
But that penny paid the mortgage
Or at least it paid the rent

Now boss makes a million
And doesn't give us jack
Smugly blames the workers
For the labour that he lacks

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)