Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Meaty Ore posted:

Welp, so much for my entry. I had three dishes and they were basically worse versions of three of yours--racks of lamb, couscous, and ice cream. Didn't get a write up done because I was busy and all my pictures were terrible due to the poo poo lighting in my kitchen.

Post it anyway! Never hurts to compare, that's how everyone gets inspiration for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Shooting Blanks posted:

Post it anyway! Never hurts to compare, that's how everyone gets inspiration for the next one.

Completely agree. And you’re probably being your own worst critic, I bet it was great.

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

Seconding, I love seeing what people did with this. It was an unfamiliar ingredient for me, so seeing people play in the space is a lot of fun.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Okay, you got me. I've got it written up, but I'll have to wait until later to add the photos and post the thread. It's gotten too drat late right now.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

I'm going to hold off so Meaty Ore can get their entry in, judging post will go up as soon as I see that.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

My entry is posted!

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I usually view the forums solely through my bookmarks, so I nearly missed the voting thread!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Extremely :same: thank you!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scientastic posted:

I usually view the forums solely through my bookmarks, so I nearly missed the voting thread!

After I went to all that (ten seconds of) effort to sticky it, too!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Results are in!

First place - congratulations to the_chavi for Guney Anadoluya Hos Geldiniz! Nar ICSAsi
Second place - congratulations to Scientastic for a meal composed of fruit they don't like
Chairman's choice - TBD, I'm going to review the entries again.

the_chavi and Scientastic, check your PMs. I will announce the chairman's choice on Sunday or Monday as I expect to be out all day tomorrow and the news has thrown my schedule off, as I'm sure it has for many of us. I do plan on doing at least one more ICSA before the end of the year, and I'll try to pick a slightly less controversial ingredient.

Thank you everyone for participating, this was fun!

the_chavi
Mar 2, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Thanks for a great prompt - I had so much fun! And since all of my guests work at NATO headquarters or for NATO Allies here in Brussels, it was a nice distraction before everything went nuts. I loved the other entries - I'm inspired to try making spanikopita for the first time ever now!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Congratulations the_chavi and Scientastic! Well earned :)

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I really enjoyed this one, it’s nice to have a properly challenging ingredient! And well done Chavi, a deserving winner

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I also had a great time and I'm looking forward to the next challenge. Congratulations to the_chavi and to Scientastic!

Grandicap
Feb 8, 2006

This was a super fun first ICSA to participate in. It made me think about an ingredient I have never cooked with before, and host an amazing dinner party!
Can't wait for the next one.
Congrats Sci and the_chavi.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

This was great fun to read, thanks for running it Shooting Blanks, and thanks to everyone who participated!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Congrats to all, and here's my late write up of what I did (and did not do) for this ICSA!

My plan: use my new mini waffle maker for each dish!

What happened: I made one awesome dish but then sprained both my ankles and couldn't walk for almost two weeks.

The (mostly theoretical) menu:
Course one: Sweet waffle with fruit and pomegranate compote
Course two: rice flour waffles with scallions, leeks and pomegranate molasses with aged Japanese rice vinegar.
Course three: "chicken and waffles" Savory waffles with duck confit and roasted pomegranate arils.

Course one actually happened! I looked up a basic waffle recipe for this one. I seeded and juiced two pomegranates and reduced the juice with sugar and ginger. When I went to make the waffles, I found that my milk had curdled so I substituted crema salvadorena and water for milk. It turned out great! I added diced pear to the ginger/pom mixture, and whipped up a mascarpone creme with fresh nutmeg and cinnamon. My partner and I ate a ton of this! I have a few pics but they're pretty terrible.

Courses two and three are still in the pipeline. I plan to make a rice four waffle with scallions and leeks to mimic the scallion pancakes Dino makes. For the third course I need to confit some duck legs and plan to roast some pomegranate arils for garnish/flavor.

Thanks to SB for the topic!