Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Last month my boss sent me an email on Monday saying just “do you have time for a short meeting on Friday?”

I have enormous amounts of anxiety and that was the worst loving week. Thought I was getting fired or something.

Turns out he just wanted to check in and see how things were going and wanted to catch up since we never see each other anymore. But come on man. Don’t send a message like that.

I had this once with an unexplained meeting put into my calendar with both my boss and the HR director and it was anxiety inducing as hell.

Turned out that the HR director wanted some help with something and wanted to know if I could train her staff. It would have been a lot less frightening to tell me in advance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Collapsing Farts posted:

I was born rich so i havent worked a day in my life. Never had coworkers. I spend most of my day doing coke and videogames and going to my friends to do coke

Nyway, we have staff right? I accidentally implied the crew of our yacht would be let go and they were really upset. I had to apologize to father for my mistake and everything. Though some mean things were said by the crew so we ended up firing them for real. Really ruined my weekend but the new crew is alright

did you ever figure out why both boat engines blew out the next day?

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
always do the fight club thing where you kick your own rear end and then it looks like the boss did it

even if he is giving you a raise and upping the contribution to your 401k

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

steinrokkan posted:

Aren't security guards usually subcontracted from some agency, so totally disposable (eeven more so than regular employees)?

Most places only keep security guards around because they're required to do so in order to receive property insurance. And yes, they're generally subcontractors.

The way they get fired is some sort of security-related kerfuffle happens at the same time as upper management is looking for a changes to make that won't actually change anything (sometimes due to shareholder response to the kerfuffle, sometimes not), so the security agency loses the contract and gets replaced with an identical one. Repeat every few years.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

The Walrus posted:

OP have you started on an amphatamine regimen at all recently? Are you sleeping or eating enough? Do you have hobbies or friends outside of work? This sounds like paranoia from one or all of the above.

Yes, no, does posting count? no

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Rabid bats are welcome in my home
Make sure to post an update Monday so we can laugh at you for either outcome.

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Try bringing a guitar and serenading them from the ground floor.

It's hit and miss in romantic movies, worth a shot.

"Anyway, here's Wonderwall -"

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Hello Sailor posted:

Most places only keep security guards around because they're required to do so in order to receive property insurance. And yes, they're generally subcontractors.

The way they get fired is some sort of security-related kerfuffle happens at the same time as upper management is looking for a changes to make that won't actually change anything (sometimes due to shareholder response to the kerfuffle, sometimes not), so the security agency loses the contract and gets replaced with an identical one. Repeat every few years.

This is also how car valets work.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OP, theoretically you could ask your supervisor or boss their opinion of how you've been performing lately, but instead, since this is GBS...

Surreptitiously record all conversations your coworkers have which could possibly be about you, upload them and post the links here for our considered advice.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I remember when I knew I was going to get fired at the drug factory, I heard someone in the locker room talking about how the office side was breathlessly making GBS threads itself over a filter test someone did on lot ---*** and I was like, gently caress, that was the filter test they made me do when they called me in to work at midnight on my day off.

So, there was a big hurricane in Puerto Rico, and a certain major filter manufacturer had their main plant there. It was destroyed, and considering some orange bitch was in a spat with his own territory over not being nice enough to him, there was no future in sight for their primary production facility; this necessitated contracting out poo poo like PTFE filter membranes. When you contract poo poo like that out, and you also test those filters on equipment designed specifically to test filters from the real factory, they all loving fail because they aren't even near the spec you designed the equipment for, whether they're good or not. This had been an ongoing problem for about 4 months at this point, they didn't pass first try. The solution? loving test critical air filters that were attached to vessels that contained product until they passed. Blow IPA though them, do whatever, they're good.

Every single thing I did that night was dictated by a supervisor, and then when the time came to throw someone under the bus when a major drug manufacturer came calling wondering why the gently caress they were just willy-nilly testing critical filters, it was the team lead.

I was fully compliant with and did a ton of work on the investigation, knowing full well what those rat fucks were about to do to me. I did all that to prove that I was in the right to myself, not for them, because that place was such a mess that I knew that they were going to gently caress something up when they fired me.

Supe texts me to come to work and go directly to the office side when I clocked in 2 hours before work. I didn't bother clocking in. My manager walks in the office, puts his hand on my shoulder and says, "this is the part of my job I hate the most." My supe and manager had both been on my side through the whole thing, and they were not loving happy about firing their lead. They handed me the termination paperwork and I read over it, and here's the fatal flaw of a bunch of idiots running a plant with critical paperwork that is reviewed by customers and federal agencies: they'll fire you for not reviewing paperwork, but they won't review their own. They never ran my termination through HR, or HR looked at it and said they weren't going to touch it because it was going to gently caress a bunch of people.

So I didn't sign my termination paperwork. I wrote a footnote that said that I disagreed with the plant director's assessment of the investigation, that he and I had plenty of personal issues with each other, and that HR didn't sign the paperwork, and then wrote the ① in the signature and date lines of both my stuff and HR's, then signed and dated with the initials in the FDA/DEA logbook. My supe and manager already knew what I was doing, then when they reviewed it they both just sighed in resignation and asked me if I wanted a copy of it. I told them to go gently caress themselves, and they told me good luck because I was going to do a lot of really good poo poo with my career.

Everyone who touched that paperwork got hosed. The plant director got demoted back to middle management 9 months after his bigshot promotion, 6 months after an investment firm bought the company. My manager got sharked from a very major drug manufacturer for over $1m in salary and fees and they put him in a paper pusher position until he quit. Supe went back to the mechanic shop, where he wanted to be the entire time. I guess he didn't get hosed lol.

And the end result of all of that?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeqApSj7gSU

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

ellasmith posted:

Yes, no, does posting count? no

It's all good OP I have had an Adderall / Vyvanse prescription for the past 5 years and based on what you posted it really just sounds like you're reading too much into things. Like I can almost promise you you're reading too much into things- ask me how I know??

Sometimes I get really moody and perilous thoughts when my blood sugar is low and I'm using my stimulants- I'm not diabetic or unhealthy, not even close, but my #PerceptionOfReality starts to dim as the available-space of my stomach increases.

I think there's a 99.99% chance you still have a job. Just chill, lol

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Just to be on the safe side, on Monday march into your place of work with a red banner and declare yourself in control by the order of the Council of Soviets (which you founded). Then they won't be able to fire you even if they want to!

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So you got fired for being a user on a government channel and then lied to everyone about being excluded from the system.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I’ve been overseeing this silt compaction project, requires very precise mantle calculations over a highly varied surface area with continuous fluid dynamic calculations, and now transitioning into a solid inch thick brick overlay that is impressing a lazer-beveled relief of the entire Milky Way, with the stipulation that the progressing build has zero relative friction (using a full sphere reference proof) and zero erosion, and this fuckin guy fuckin walks in, and you know what he fuckin says? “Eyyyy pal, do you know how to beat final fantasy 12 without the cheat codes?” It was one of those me up hyah, you down hyah moments. But yeah I actually took a whole day off my project to play this stupid game through and I’m just concluding that he’s a loving moron.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

So I’ve been overseeing this silt compaction project...

I initially read that as slit compaction project, which might be a good job, if you can get it.

im saint germain
Jan 30, 2021

i've come from the future to tell you all we have to stop party rock before it returns
this guy's definitely fired

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Patrat posted:

I had this once with an unexplained meeting put into my calendar with both my boss and the HR director and it was anxiety inducing as hell.

Turned out that the HR director wanted some help with something and wanted to know if I could train her staff. It would have been a lot less frightening to tell me in advance.

My boss has this very unnerving tendency to come into my office and say "I need to see you later today in my office".

"Hehe, I'm not in trouble? Can I have a heads up on the subject?"

"Just come see me later today."

*head into his office*

"Please shut the door"

*Jesus christ, what is wrong?*

"Oh, there is no problem, I just need you to do some research on *x thing that is confidential if we are stretching the idea of confidential to the absolute extreme and doesn't really involve any liability to anyone in the building*.

Jesus, when you requested the meeting, could you have at least started with it having no baring whatsoever on anything remotely involving you beyond wanting me to review some old emails for background?

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

I forgot about this. What's the update op?

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
The OP is dead now. They're six feet under concrete. they knew too much. :tinfoil:

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

confirming the op has been fired and killed.

Full Metal Jackass
Jan 22, 2001

Someone update the qcs thread.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
They've been fired... from a cannon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Betty Wight
Jan 1, 2022

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Last month my boss sent me an email on Monday saying just “do you have time for a short meeting on Friday?”

I won’t do that poo poo and actively warn managers I work and train with not to either for the reason you describe. Even if it was a good reason no one likes being called to their managers office. It’s crazy how many times I have to explain why this power dynamic thing exists.