Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Wins the Super Bowl?
The Bills
Buccs
The Cowboys, but gently caress 'em
The Eagles somehow
Bill Belichek and then he's dragged to Hell
Out of nowhere with the folding chair, the Jets!
Some stupid clown team nobody thought would make it
The Chiefs again but this time nobody cares
The Titans (goodbye Vrabel's dick)
The Bengals because lol really?
View Results

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

wyoak posted:

no
do we really think Bisaccia was like "well guess i'll just kneel here on 3rd down OH THEY CALLED TIMEOUT DID THEY"

he definitely would've been like "hold on to the loving ball no matter what else," instead of "ok we need a first down so go get yards."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky Ed
Aug 18, 2010

It is important to avoid confusion. This is the one that's okay to lick.

For the record, the Chargers converted more 4th downs (6) than 3rd downs (4) in the game. It could have been beautiful.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

acidx posted:

he definitely would've been like "hold on to the loving ball no matter what else," instead of "ok we need a first down so go get yards."
what the raiders needed didn't change at all

i guess if you think the chargers defense was more organized than the raiders offense in that situation the timeout is dumb, but it's the chargers defense, it's like 75% they give up a td run there

edit this:
https://twitter.com/WillBrinson/status/1480411557209296896

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

wyoak posted:

i guess if you think the chargers defense was more organized than the raiders offense in that situation the timeout is dumb, but it's the chargers defense, it's like 75% they give up a td run there

Time outs favor offenses over defenses unless your defense just isn't set.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/doomscroll_bot/status/1480411751996960768?s=21

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Darko posted:

Time outs favor offenses over defenses unless your defense just isn't set.
I mean yeah but I'm guessing Staley didn't like his defensive look and thats why he called the timeout

if he called it in some weird attempt to convince the raiders to kneel then i guess that's really dumb

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

wyoak posted:

yes it did, because if there's no timeout, the clock keeps running, and the raiders can try a bullshit field goal on 4th down with a couple seconds left. instead, if they didn't convert on third down after the timeout, then they would've kicked the field goal and if they missed it would've given the chargers the ball back with enough time to take some shots.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Zwabu posted:

There is in fact football on Monday night!

Ew I don't want to watch Saban win another title. I'll catch up on Season 2 of The Witcher or start Station Eleven.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

acidx posted:

yes it did, because if there's no timeout, the clock keeps running, and the raiders can try a bullshit field goal with a couple seconds left. instead, if they didn't convert on third down after the timeout, then they would've kicked the field goal and if they missed it would've given the chargers the ball back with enough time to take some shots.

there was 4 seconds on the play clock and 38 seconds on the game clock when the chargers called timeout, it made at most 3 seconds difference in game clock which does not matter at all in how the raiders approach the next play since it's a 40 second play clock

now i do think if the raiders don't gain 10 yards on the play maybe they don't try the kick, but you can't really say the chargers definitely woulda stopped em without the TO

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

Ew I don't want to watch Saban win another title. I'll catch up on Season 2 of The Witcher or start Station Eleven.

Personally I am going to plaster a smile on my face and watch the Bachelor with my wife to spite the SEC.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

It's upsetting because a beautiful rare unicorn was on the brink of coming into existence through rather unlikely circumstances, of one team converting a million fourth downs but also being unable to keep the other team from gashing them for a million 8-10 yard running plays. The rare unicorn would have involved ending Big Ben's career too.

All these moments will be lost in time.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Thread got played by a selective quote.

https://twitter.com/danny_heifetz/status/1480413599118024712?s=21

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
No, the part that invalidates what I want to believe is a lie but the part that confirms it is the truth

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

xbilkis posted:

No, the part that invalidates what I want to believe is a lie but the part that confirms it is the truth

I’m ok with this given the circumstances.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

wyoak posted:

there was 4 seconds on the play clock and 38 seconds on the game clock when the chargers called timeout, it made at most 3 seconds difference in game clock which does not matter at all in how the raiders approach the next play since it's a 40 second play clock

now i do think if the raiders don't gain 10 yards on the play maybe they don't try the kick, but you can't really say the chargers definitely woulda stopped em without the TO

ah yeah, good point. but by breaking the timeout truce, who's to say that the chargers wouldn't have called another timeout if the raiders didn't convert on 3rd. then it's 4th down with 30 some seconds left and the clock stopped.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
that was a possibility either way though, that wasn't LA's last timeout

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Yeah the raiders made the right decision at every point of the game for them, as much as we all wanted the tie going for the field goal was gonna get them in regardless of whether he made it or not so they figured why not go for the win

This loss is San Diego’s defense’s fault. You can’t blame the offense because they did their job twice, and the kicker did too. The defense letting that first down go sealed the game

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

gently caress the Raiders.
gently caress the Chargers.
gently caress the Steelers.

And as always, gently caress the Cowboys.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

WaffleZombie posted:

gently caress the Raiders.
gently caress the Chargers.
gently caress the Steelers.

And as always, gently caress the Cowboys.

Also the Ravens. This is also their fault.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

acidx posted:

ah yeah, good point. but by breaking the timeout truce, who's to say that the chargers wouldn't have called another timeout if the raiders didn't convert on 3rd. then it's 4th down with 30 some seconds left and the clock stopped.
Yeah that's the issue, that time out changes the mentality of what they think the Chargers are going to do. Another time out and it's 4th down w/30+ seconds left, kick a 50+ yard FG to win or maybe miss and put yourself in bad position. Without the timeout they kick a FG of whatever length without fear of missing or a mistake.

Oh and Bisaccia just said they were discussing taking the tie, and the TO changed things there.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Lol, Chargers.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:
Nice meltdowns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

none of this would have been possible without the Colts making GBS threads the bed against the Jacksonville by-god Jaguars, too!