Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Would you have given the man the catch or not?

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1480971108010631173

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Mike McCarthy not wasting a challenge is truly a historic moment.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
umm gently caress the Dallas Cowboys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
By today's standards it's a catch, without a doubt. With the old standards who loving knows I can't even remember what they really were beyond making no sense

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Even if I think it was a catch the game was over anyway. Cowboys defense could not stop Rodgers.

The whole thing still sucks complete rear end.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Play posted:

By today's standards it's a catch, without a doubt. With the old standards who loving knows I can't even remember what they really were beyond making no sense

Remember the Calvin Johnson non catch?

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

don't know

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
That was definitely a catch. Horrible horrible call. He catches it and is clearly reaching it forward to try to score the TD! If that's not "a football move" then what is

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020

Kawalimus posted:

That was definitely a catch. Horrible horrible call. He catches it and is clearly reaching it forward to try to score the TD! If that's not "a football move" then what is

Agreed.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Wasn't that before the new catch rules and the phrase 'football move' became a thing though? Or no

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Play posted:

Wasn't that before the new catch rules and the phrase 'football move' became a thing though? Or no

The phrase "Football move" is right in the video. I'm pretty sure that phrase has been around at least since I started watching in 99/2000.

Even if there was some ambiguity the call should have stood. The call on the field is supposed to be deferred to in such situations but refs routinely break this guideline.

Kawalimus fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2022

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Kawalimus posted:

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
The Cowboys were hosed by the call? Then objectively it had to be the correct call. gently caress the Cowboys.

It was a catch.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

fartknocker posted:

The Cowboys were hosed by the call? Then objectively it had to be the correct call. gently caress the Cowboys.

It was a catch.

I agree with this sentiment on principle but if I remember correctly the exact same bullshit hosed the lions the week prior and that's just not right.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
Was a catch then, and a catch now.

Romo :smith:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kawalimus posted:

The phrase "Football move" is right in the video. I'm pretty sure that phrase has been around at least since I started watching in 99/2000.

Even if there was some ambiguity the call should have stood. The call on the field is supposed to be deferred to in such situations but refs routinely break this guideline.

So what I was actually thinking about here was the simplification of the catch rule in 2018, which made it ONLY control of the ball, two feet or another body part down, and a football move.

This was the really confusing element of the catch rule before 2018, and the one that was relevant here. The 'going to the ground' part of the rule:

quote:

A player is considered to be going to the ground if he does not remain upright long enough to demonstrate that he is clearly a runner. If a player goes to the ground in the act of catching a pass (with or without contact by an opponent), he must maintain control of the ball until after his initial contact with the ground, whether in the field of play or the end zone. If he loses control of the ball, and the ball touches the ground before he regains control, the pass is incomplete."

That rule was an absolute clusterfuck and honestly the NFL simplifying the catch rule by cutting that out was one of the few smart things they've ever done

Pungry
Feb 26, 2011

JUST PICK ONE. ANY ONE.

Eifert Posting posted:

I agree with this sentiment on principle but if I remember correctly the exact same bullshit hosed the lions the week prior and that's just not right.

Yeah, this was part in the weirdest series of karma I've seen in football. The Lions got hosed over to start it and the Cowboys benefited. That next week, the Cowboys got hosed over by this call, and the Packers benefited. Then, in the NFC Championship Game, the Packers didn't get hosed over by refs, but lost to the Seahawks in the stupidest comeback possible. Finally, the Super Bowl had the Seahawks losing on The Interception to the Patriots, ending the chain because nothing bad ever happens to the Patriots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Pungry posted:

Yeah, this was part in the weirdest series of karma I've seen in football. The Lions got hosed over to start it and the Cowboys benefited. That next week, the Cowboys got hosed over by this call, and the Packers benefited. Then, in the NFC Championship Game, the Packers didn't get hosed over by refs, but lost to the Seahawks in the stupidest comeback possible. Finally, the Super Bowl had the Seahawks losing on The Interception to the Patriots, ending the chain because nothing bad ever happens to the Patriots.

Hey man, that INT was preceded almost immediately by a bullshit circus catch by Kearse