Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cruft

Right. So. I happen to live near this off the wall art exhibit called The House of Eternal Return, by an art collective named Meow Wolf.

When this place opened, I felt like I'd missed my calling. I can absolutely 100% put together all the tech they use, everywhere in the entire joint. And I love hanging out with artists: I even dabble in (tech-based) art myslef. But I'm solidly a tech guy.

Viginti Septem posted, apropos of nothing, this badass animation about a clock. I'll let them post it here. People got ideas about it, and it reminded me of The House of Eternal Return. That exhibit is about people who sort of broke reality. I bet we could do something like this about time, on a much smaller scale of course. Clocks wind up being something that are pretty doable from a tech perpsective: here's one I made for the local makerspace, shamelessly stealing an idea from Meow Wolf. The thing I'm really great at, and are really easy to make things with, are multi-color LEDs. Meow Wolf's stuff uses these all over the place: they're cheap, easy to work with, and pretty foolproof. VS's animations could be easily displayed by a Raspberry Pi with an LCD, maybe $20 each. And those RPis could trigger arduinos to turn motors or begin LED animations.

What I'm thinking here is with some sort of story to build on, and some creative people, we can probably come up with a workable set of buildables for something like a haunted house, but is really just a meow wolf style art display.

I think we should start really basic at first, maybe work on a story, and then plan out one or two gadgets for October 2022. A whole lot of the work is just going to be designing something people can actually build and set up, without soaring prices.

So I think let's start with just deciding on the skeleton of a story. When someone enters this exhibit, what's going on? What caused it? What evidence are they going to see of it all?

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jan 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
I think I知 legally obligated to be here?

w/e I値l be in my dungeon PLEASE KNOCK

cruft

I updated the OP. It's possible BYOB isn't the right forum for this, but the idea started in BYOB so I figured the thread should too. There are a whole lot of artsy people in here though, so who knows.

teen witch posted:

I think I知 legally obligated to be here?

w/e I値l be in my dungeon PLEASE KNOCK

Yes we 100% require the presence of a teen witch, thanks for being punctual.

cruft fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 12, 2022

Ass-penny

When I visited my cousins in AZ in December one of them was telling me about the Meow Wolf house you're talking about I think. I know they have a couple of different installations around. And about a year ago one of my hippy friends was telling me about them too. I really need to go see one of these things.

Anyways, I'm interested in this idea, bookmarked.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

BoldFrankensteinMir

I used to write for escape rooms so I can help turn whatever story you want into a usable script. And there's some great voice-actors on the forums.

If it's a time-related thing then a character needs to decay into a skeleton before our eyes, that's the most bad-rear end time horror effect.

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae
Very interesting. This might be the crossover episode I've been looking for. My desire with art is to make large wall art that is animated of some sort as in either lights or screens. I have a very rudimentary and cursory knowledge of rPi boards, but I'm not a coder. My talents are making pretty things.

Here's the link cruft was speaking of. I just made it for fun because I like colors and spinny things.

https://streamable.com/l/rh36o6/mp4-high.mp4

I can animate a bit, but colors and setting moods are more my thing.

Percy Teatwillow

let us go out this evening for pleasure, for the night is still young
I live pretty close to the Midwest equivalent, Otherworld, and I致e always wanted to make something for them. I do kinda larger scale wall art, maybe I could lend some assistance here? I知 always looking for cool stuff to work on.

THANK U Heather Papps !!

Gluehead posted:

i met snow at a restaurant once and i was like 'man, informer is a really good song!' and he just looked up from the bowl of french onion soup he was eating, mouthed the words 'gently caress off' and then he gave me the finger twice with boths hands, then crossed the two fingers to make a cross and aimed it at me
cruft

Maybe for the first go-round the story could be as simple as "broken clocks"

Ass-penny

someone once told me even a broken clock is right twice a day. but that only applies to analog clocks, and people that use 12 hour time.

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoldFrankensteinMir

cruft posted:

Maybe for the first go-round the story could be as simple as "broken clocks"

rear end-penny posted:

someone once told me even a broken clock is right twice a day. but that only applies to analog clocks, and people that use 12 hour time.

I'm digging this direction, throw some Salvador Dali melting clocks and maybe a giant hourglass in there, maybe the pendulum that knocks over wooden blocks like at a children's museum, and you got a real art show going.

Are you thinking narration? Or will the visitors be guided by text/ some other method?

Edit- oh man what an easy room to fill-dress too, you can just go buy 30 thrift store wall clocks and squeeze them into all the corners where large works don't fit. Maybe rearrange all their numbers so there's like a clock of all 4's and another that goes 1-11.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 14, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps