Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
Endgame progress that is nothing but highly choreographed puzzle fights where each participant must study the encounters in detail using external materials, rather than engage in a natural learning process involving trial and error (otherwise known as "playing a game") is an absolute kiss of death. It leads to an insane level of toxicity and social barriers between people already inside the club because they rode the first wave VS everyone else trying to get in. Total poison for new and returning players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Scoss posted:

Endgame progress that is nothing but highly choreographed puzzle fights where each participant must study the encounters in detail using external materials, rather than engage in a natural learning process involving trial and error (otherwise known as "playing a game") is an absolute kiss of death. It leads to an insane level of toxicity and social barriers between people already inside the club because they rode the first wave VS everyone else trying to get in. Total poison for new and returning players.

Isn't that the basic WOW raid formula though? Feels like it's been that way in every MMO. The only thing uniquely bad about Lost Ark is that we were getting catch up content from Korea so all the tactics were figured out for everybody period instead of everybody except day 1 raiders.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know WoW back in the day use to be kinda like what Lost Ark is now, but I thought they scaled it way back? Or at least in WoW, there are now really easy versions of raids that you can do with pubbies and still get gear that will let you experience all content minus the hardest versions? The hard stuff in WoW is completely optional and wont gate keep you from seeing everything, where in Lost Ark its a requirement.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015
The huge difference with WoW is there's more to do at the endgame to advance your gear that isn't pinnacle raiding, and they create cut-down versions of the endgame raids that are more approachable for casual players, including matchmade versions that are almost unfailable but people at least get to see the content.

There overall seems to be a much smoother ladder for graduating to more difficult content, as opposed to LA's brick walls (as of the last time I played either game, anyway)

Scoss fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 24, 2024

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Now that Diablo 4 is out I really couldn’t care less about LA and I dumped crazy hours into LA.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Since this is a nice group get-together of Lost Arks Anonymous, I may as well chime in: yes, I was super addicted to Lost Ark myself for a considerable amount of time as the core is so good. No other ARPG has come close to having such satisfying feedback, such diverse and interesting classes, such cool boss fights, and such deep systems that allow for skillful expression. I was addicted to Marvel Heroes and Tera as well back in the day, but this was a whole new level. I had loads of fun just running Guardian Raids over and over solo and trying to do it as fast and smooth as possible: very proud of clearing Velganos solo with loads of classes, for example, as it was considered a bit of an 'initiation' to prove yourself ready for raids.

But as said, there is just so much the game does to breed toxicity and get in the way of the good stuff that I just couldn't take it anymore, stopping around Valtan. I've moved on to playing games like Monster Hunter Sunbreak which get me the stuff I want (boss fights and skillful combat) without any unnecessary cruft. I'm also planning on visiting Diablo 4 and Last Epoch as they look pretty neat, and I'm looking forward to Path of Exile 2 as the combat in the game seems much more slow and deliberate in a Lost Ark-esque way. I'm sure there are plenty of neat roguelikes that also give what I want, such as Ravenswatch.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Apr 25, 2024

Lorem ipsum
Sep 25, 2007
IF I REPORT SOMETHING, BAN ME.

Scoss posted:

The worst part is I super don't mind grinding it out until everyone learns the fight but I don't think anyone else in the game is interested in that. I feel like the game would be amazing if there was a way for everyone to chill out and just fail a gate for like an hour until you succeed.

I also quit just before Brel because pugging is literally impossible due to the above and I never found a super consistant group to play with

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Yeah, that was one of my most fun experiences. I did Valtan week 1 when it released with a bunch of pugs and we all got super close to beating it. But then when it was for farming it was just frustrating.

Guardian raids when I was playing were like the perfect difficulty IMO. They were absolutely carryable if you knew what you were doing and rezzes made it less punishing too. Deskaluda and Kungelanium were the two highest ones available when I stopped playing and both of those were quite enjoyable.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I just looked at my playtime and well…

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I played LA at launch and noped out as soon as progression became tied entirely to doing raid-style content. I'm waiting for Path of Exile 2 since the combat there seems to look more fun and engaging than the zoomy one-click meta that has taken over PoE1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Jossar posted:

And now, even if I wanted to come back, my 1519-ish Deathblade is too low for high level groups, but too high to join a committed friend group.

FWIW at least the ilvl part is a lot less important than you think because the current progression events get you to 1600-1610 pretty easily. Normal mode of the raid that just released is 1610. You probably wouldn't want to come back for *other* reasons, but ilvl catchup isn't as bad as you'd think

They did also add something where you get the skill points from islands / ignea / giant hearts fairly easily