Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: you'll see more confederate flags in this area than anywhere else north of gettysburg. there's also a monument in the next town with a list of people who died putting down "the great southern rebellion". the people who drive the flag trucks have the same last names as the people on the monument

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: ticonderoga area chamber of commerce is a closet at the pub wherein you can do the weakest coke imaginable.

fun ticonderoga fact: Do you enjoy bowling? Well, gently caress YOU! ti had a bowling alley until it plum gave out in a structure fire a couple years back.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: there's a pakistani man gobbling up all the small businesses in town like he's the urdu version of flem snopes from faulkner. he had an elaborate medicaid taxi scam going until he got caught a year or two ago. he keeps his gas station stocked with a random assortment of beer but the beer is both cheap and surprisingly good craft. its called sharkeys and he is hands down cooler than most people in town

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 16, 2022

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

super sweet best pal posted:

His performances hit differently after reading about his divorce and how he broke into where his ex-wife was staying and slipped his meat into her hand while she slept.

Well... gently caress

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
In the summer, the Adirondack Railroad offers a beer & wine train so you get to look at pretty mountains (drunkenly) while someone else drives!

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: its sister city is twin peaks

fun ticonderoga fact: Do you enjoy history? Well come on down and visit opportunity's grave

fun ticonderoga fact: there's a discount meat store on wicker street. dont ask questions. come alone and with small bills

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

fun ticonderoga fact: the lachute river connecting lake george and lake champlain rolls right through town. they dammed it up to sell hydro power to the frogs up north. 60 years ago people had their septic pipes run directly into the river. its still locally known as the LaShit river

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

ellasmith posted:

I have a job that has me traveling to Ticonderoga regularly and I always feel like I should make a weekend trip out of it and do something there but I kind of just look at the pretty mountains and drive home.

There's a recreation of the set from the original Star Trek series and they offer tours and it's cool if you're a fan at all

https://www.startrektour.com/

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I am genuinely having fun with these facts.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

Yeah this is very cool and interesting tbh

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ChunTheUnavoidable posted:

Yeah this is very cool and interesting tbh

fun ticonderoga fact: sarcasm is about as well known as cursive to graduates of ticonderoga central schools so if youre being untruthful im gonna be really mad. edit: i graduated with a dude who couldnt tell time. analog or digital.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Raere posted:

There's a recreation of the set from the original Star Trek series and they offer tours and it's cool if you're a fan at all

https://www.startrektour.com/

fun ticonderoga fact: the dude who built that made all of his money as a local elvis impersonator. he drives around in a pt cruiser that says blue suede coupe or something to that effect.

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

fun ticonderoga fact: sarcasm is about as well known as cursive to graduates of ticonderoga central schools so if youre being untruthful im gonna be really mad. edit: i graduated with a dude who couldnt tell time. analog or digital.

I’m serious, I like your ticonderoga posting. It’s fun to learn stuff about a place that you could only get from someone who’s actually familiar with it

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

fun ticonderoga fact: Do you enjoy history? Well come on down and visit opportunity's grave

I was very happy to visit ticongeroga once!

I was driving to Burlington in the middle of winter and I stupidly decided to go through paradox and eagle lake to get to the bridge, rather than fort ann - whitehall. I didn't know that most of those little towns are seasonal and drat near empty in the winter. I was close to out of gas, it was pitch black, and there were zero lights or signs of life anywhere even when I passed the little clusters of houses. Halfway between the interstate and ticonderoga it started snowing.

Buddy I was really glad to see ticonderoga when I coasted down the hills into town and the first open gas station I'd seen since lake george.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
this guy who worked at the climbing gym i go to hiked the adirondax and trail timing wise he was like a day behind some campsite where some maniac literally macheted a bunch of crunchy granola hikers for absolutely no reason

so there's that.

also, it's fukken cold now. you'll freeze

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Klyith posted:

I was very happy to visit ticongeroga once!

I was driving to Burlington in the middle of winter and I stupidly decided to go through paradox and eagle lake to get to the bridge, rather than fort ann - whitehall. I didn't know that most of those little towns are seasonal and drat near empty in the winter. I was close to out of gas, it was pitch black, and there were zero lights or signs of life anywhere even when I passed the little clusters of houses. Halfway between the interstate and ticonderoga it started snowing.

Buddy I was really glad to see ticonderoga when I coasted down the hills into town and the first open gas station I'd seen since lake george.

There's a dude on the outskirts of ti that runs a gas station/electronics shop/lawnmower repair/liquor store called TUFFERTOWN USA. If you're coming north from 9N it's the first gas station you'll see but it might not look like a gas station. It's the sleaziest place imaginable and rumor has it one time he got busted for fixing laptops by popping old older shittier harddrives and selling the broken ones to tourists. I think he set up a gofundme a couple years back because he couldn't get "kemo" for his terminal cancer but last I heard he's still alive and the whole thing was a scam. You can pay for your gas using a credit card as recently as 2015.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
What's he drive?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

kntfkr posted:

this guy who worked at the climbing gym i go to hiked the adirondax and trail timing wise he was like a day behind some campsite where some maniac literally macheted a bunch of crunchy granola hikers for absolutely no reason

so there's that.

I think I know this one. Robert Garrow murdered a bunch of campers in the 70s in Wevertown for no reason. Wevertown is that place you wind up when you take a left in the fork in Lake George where route 9 and 9N split. Keep going past schroon. It's a worse place than Ti.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I think I know this one. Robert Garrow murdered a bunch of campers in the 70s in Wevertown for no reason. Wevertown is that place you wind up when you take a left in the fork in Lake George where route 9 and 9N split. Keep going past schroon. It's a worse place than Ti.

You know what? I'm mistaken and misremembered. It was the Appalachian trail. https://www.wdbj7.com/2021/04/22/man-accused-of-appalachian-trail-murder-pleads-not-guilty-by-reason-of-insanity/

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

Fun fact: the Adirondacks is genuinely *Upstate* New York, and it drives me insane when people here in NYC refer to Buffalo as being in “upstate New York.” Buffalo is *Western* New York, you imbeciles, and I know because I grew up there. Western. Every time someone makes this mistake I start hooting and gibbering like a chimp, throwing my own feces, etc.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Folks round them parts call it the North Country in between spitting hunks of skoal into a mcdonalds cup, working on a busted arctic cat, and beating their wives

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

fun ticonderoga fact: ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD is a local tourist guide.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
the hot wings at the pub on montcalm street are really fuckin hot

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ellasmith posted:

the hot wings at the pub on montcalm street are really fuckin hot

The Pub was opened by a dude who started his own Fuel place after getting really into competitive motor sports. For a while he was kind of the "local boy makes good" story about how much money he was pumping back into the town. His little brother taught us world history at the high school. Rumor has it he fleeced a bunch of people out of money and skipped town a couple years ago because of some gambling thing. I don't think anything ever came of it.

I'm not sure if it's open in January, but there's this place a little out of town called the Fort View Inn that has really good wings.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

The Pub was opened by a dude who started his own Fuel place after getting really into competitive motor sports. For a while he was kind of the "local boy makes good" story about how much money he was pumping back into the town. His little brother taught us world history at the high school. Rumor has it he fleeced a bunch of people out of money and skipped town a couple years ago because of some gambling thing. I don't think anything ever came of it.

I'm not sure if it's open in January, but there's this place a little out of town called the Fort View Inn that has really good wings.

got any cool stories about crown point?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

ellasmith posted:

got any cool stories about crown point?

Cool? No. Stories, yes.

There's this house on Bridge Road (the road you take to get to Vermont) that looks like it was ripped from an Edith Wharton novel. It used to be a country inn. It's the old St. Pierre house. It's haunted. People say there was a scotsman that drowned in the lake what haunts the house. Other people say the house was built on a burial ground. Either way, folks say its been burned down a couple of times over the years and every now and then some rich dude buys the land and rebuilds the house. It's beautiful in a house of leaves kinda way.

That whole road is full of weird stories like that. I think the most recent one was about 10 years ago these two brothers lived with each other on lake road in retirement. Real Grey Gardens poo poo. They were pretty big into drinking themselves to death in their old age when one of them murdered the other over an argument about beer. Before they lived there apparently the murderous brother was an MIT grad (cant confirm) and pretty successful (can confirm) Kinda makes you wonder how it got to that state. Shits haunted.

If youre into history, peep the ruins of the fort near the bridge. There's a nice lighthouse that I think may be open that has a nice view of the lake. The people that run the fort in Crown Point are super nice and its pretty neat to see the ruins. If history is your bag, there's a maritime museum across the lake that does a lot of dives and puts the stuff up for display. Think 1812 Battle of Plattsurgh kinda era.

The next town over, Port Henry, has a nice beach that is pretty good. During the summer you can snag a michigan and hang out there and it's a pretty nice place. They redid the pier back when the entire lake flooded in 2011.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
My wife’s family is from the area, so we spend a few weekends a year up in the Adirondacks. The small towns there are usually dead/dying because it’s the Rust Belt. So there isn’t too much going on in terms of things to do. My wife always describes it as like going back in a time machine. Time just moves slower up there. Cool to just chill out by a lake or grill and have a few beers. Great place to visit, but I wouldn’t want to live there.

The hiking is pretty excellent up there. The views are incredible and we try to do a couple of mountains/trails whenever we go.

The stargazing is INCREDIBLE there as well. I’ve lived along the I-95 corridor my whole life, surrounded by the heaviest light pollution in the world. So I feel like I’ve never seen stars as intense before I started visiting the Adirondack’s. Last time I was there there was no moon and a clear night and it was the best stargazing of my life. I ever could make out the cosmic band of the Milky Way, which I’d never been able to see in person before.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

fun ticonderoga fact: they loving closed the wagon wheel restaurant and the hot biscuit is seasonal so the best place to get breakfast is the stewarts gas station. second place is burleigh's.

:lol: One of my in-laws was the owner of the Wagon Wheel. If you want another good restaurant in the area check out Sticks and Stones.

Stewart’s is pretty legit too.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Stewart’s loving owns. It kills me that we have nothing comparable in massachusetts.

ellasmith
Sep 29, 2021

by Azathoth
Cumberland Farms is trying but they have a ways to go.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

kntfkr posted:

so there's that.

This happens way more than you'd think it seems

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Cool? No. Stories, yes.

There's this house on Bridge Road (the road you take to get to Vermont) that looks like it was ripped from an Edith Wharton novel. It used to be a country inn. It's the old St. Pierre house. It's haunted. People say there was a scotsman that drowned in the lake what haunts the house. Other people say the house was built on a burial ground. Either way, folks say its been burned down a couple of times over the years and every now and then some rich dude buys the land and rebuilds the house. It's beautiful in a house of leaves kinda way.

That whole road is full of weird stories like that. I think the most recent one was about 10 years ago these two brothers lived with each other on lake road in retirement. Real Grey Gardens poo poo. They were pretty big into drinking themselves to death in their old age when one of them murdered the other over an argument about beer. Before they lived there apparently the murderous brother was an MIT grad (cant confirm) and pretty successful (can confirm) Kinda makes you wonder how it got to that state. Shits haunted.

If youre into history, peep the ruins of the fort near the bridge. There's a nice lighthouse that I think may be open that has a nice view of the lake. The people that run the fort in Crown Point are super nice and its pretty neat to see the ruins. If history is your bag, there's a maritime museum across the lake that does a lot of dives and puts the stuff up for display. Think 1812 Battle of Plattsurgh kinda era.

The next town over, Port Henry, has a nice beach that is pretty good. During the summer you can snag a michigan and hang out there and it's a pretty nice place. They redid the pier back when the entire lake flooded in 2011.

what's a michigan

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's a michigan

Its when you mich twice

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I took a tremendous califlour infused poo poo in the adirondacks once. A deer was watching me while I had my back up against a tree straining myself, my veins bulging out of my neck.

I don't recommend it.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

what's a michigan

Okay, so in Rhode Island we have New York Hot Weiners:

Up in the Adirondacks in NY they have Michigan’s. Which are basically the same things as hot weiners, except the beef topping is a little bit sweeter and a little more saucy.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

I have been to that Michigan shack in Port Henry and I usually try and get there once whenever we visit :hfive:

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

Fun fact: the Adirondacks is genuinely *Upstate* New York, and it drives me insane when people here in NYC refer to Buffalo as being in “upstate New York.” Buffalo is *Western* New York, you imbeciles, and I know because I grew up there. Western. Every time someone makes this mistake I start hooting and gibbering like a chimp, throwing my own feces, etc.

everything that is not the five boroughs or long island gets called upstate

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

they make a good boat

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Up in the Adirondacks in NY they have Michigan’s. Which are basically the same things as hot weiners, except the beef topping is a little bit sweeter and a little more saucy.

I have been to that Michigan shack in Port Henry and I usually try and get there once whenever we visit :hfive:

I don't even know where to begin with this

ChunTheUnavoidable
Sep 27, 2021

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Cool? No. Stories, yes.

this is some washington irving type of stuff right here

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

kntfkr posted:

everything that is not the five boroughs or long island gets called upstate

I know and it’s loving infuriating. It fills me with white hot rage. Geographic ignorance that’s what that is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Resurrecting this thread as I’m back in the area for the holiday weekend.

Played some golf and had lunch at Gene’s Michigan Stand :gizz: