Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

My favorite Alone contestant was the cop in one of the first seasons who talked all this poo poo about how he's ready for this because he deals with animals all day in the streets, and then immediately calls for emergency extraction the first night because he can hear animal sounds.

lmao do an All Cops season please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I don't think that was a cop but was in the military at some point. He was def unprepared. Which is still kinda odd because they've shown their auditioning practice in later seasons and they def aren't flippant with it.

That guy also claims he saw the bear and it bluff charged him (not on camera though) and that was really why he tapped out.

As far as what seasons to catch... Honestly you can start from season 1 with Alone. The best thing about that show is that it's very simple and there's no host so there's not much to change from season to season. So they're all pretty quiet and chill.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Oh my god right, the coward rear end cop (i repeat myself), that was absolutely hilarious
Alone's like about the only "I'm gonna put on some reality trash" thing I occasionally put on in the background except for like Cuthroat Kitchen and when I feel like hating every human being on screen on Shark Tank.
HI IM A PRECOCIOUS WHITE BOY WHO'S 12 YEAR OLD PATRICK BATEMAN AND I "INVENTED" A MONTHLY DELIVERY SUBSCRIPTION SERVICE FOR ARTISAL CUPCAKES THAT *ALSO* GIVES BACK TO THE ENVIRONMENT

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ymgve posted:

There sounds like there is too much Alone/Alone-adjacent content out there, what's the best season to grab?

First couple of seasons, after that the contestants are all students of the show and it just becomes a tedious waiting contest over who can go longest before getting yanked by the doctors for starvation.

edti: Actually first few episodes of later seasons are fine because the people who get eliminated first due to stupidity or misadventure are fun to watch.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 27, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ymgve posted:

There sounds like there is too much Alone/Alone-adjacent content out there, what's the best season to grab?

check out season 6. the dude who wins is a absolute legend imo.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
Yeah season 6 is the best if you're only gonna watch one. Maybe watch one of the earlier seasons first just in case you like the show and don't want to ruin it by going straight to the best.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I liked Roland from season 7 better tbh

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I like that Alone has a low key build up and payoff throughout the seasons with the stalking and killing of large game animals.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Enos Cabell posted:

Hundreds of Beavers is amazing, just wildly inventive. Feels like a live action Looney Tunes and had us laughing hard throughout.

Caught it last night. Amazing film. Very smart about being very dumb.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah really wish I'd gotten a chance to catch it in theaters

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Class Warcraft posted:

My favorite Alone contestant was the cop in one of the first seasons who talked all this poo poo about how he's ready for this because he deals with animals all day in the streets, and then immediately calls for emergency extraction the first night because he can hear animal sounds.

I do feel it's kind of lovely of the producers to place them in an area with dangerous wildlife. First episode of season 1 and this dude caught a bear with cubs on camera, no poo poo you want to bail out then. It all seems to come down to luck whether you're dropped into a bear's territory or not.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The cop camps under an oak tree and taps out as soon as he realizes there's acorns everywhere around him

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
There is something funny about a cop seeing a bear in the distance or bear poop and freaking the gently caress out. When later seasons had stuff like a hippie girl seeing a whole big skeleton (cow I think) and then just casually noting that the base of the skull/neck was broken indicating that a puma was in the area at some point and took down a whole cow. And that was roughly where she'd be sleeping.

ymgve posted:

I do feel it's kind of lovely of the producers to place them in an area with dangerous wildlife. First episode of season 1 and this dude caught a bear with cubs on camera, no poo poo you want to bail out then. It all seems to come down to luck whether you're dropped into a bear's territory or not.

I think the behind the scenes thing is that in most places the heavy vehicle and human activity in the weeks beforehand scare off most of the predators (and game animals) before they get there. That's why the pumas and such weren't as big of a threat in the middle seasons (I haven't watched past All Stars). Bears are a little more used to nearby humans so they don't scare as easy.

That said, they have horns and they give them instructions on avoidance if they do see a bear. They have room to maneuver usually. The one cop I remember who had cubs wander into her camp hosed up and ignored their rules about cooking meat away from your camp. She thought that the smoke would cover the scent of the fish :). That was legit scary though.

And...sort of spoilers for kayfabe but the area on Vancouver Island is supposedly really close to civilization. You can apparently find most of the campsites on Google Maps and some of them have been within a few miles of logging roads, buildings and I think even a proper road once. So seeing a bear with cubs is scary, but it's also a thing a bunch of rural people deal with sometimes.

That's probably my one tip for watching. If you think you'd like to watch a lot of it, you should probably start with 1 or 2 since it may be a little boring to go back to an "easier" survival area. If you're looking for one good one, read the suggestions from other goons who saw the later season. Probably skip the 2 people team season. I remember it being a huge letdown. Great concept, terrible execution. I want to say something like almost half of the teams didn't even make it to the meetup.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 28, 2024

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Y’all got me in the mood so I load up Netflix on my phone and they only have Alone season 9 available wtf

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Y’all got me in the mood so I load up Netflix on my phone and they only have Alone season 9 available wtf

It's a History Channel show, so it's on Hulu.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Edward Mass posted:

It's a History Channel show, so it's on Hulu.

Oh! I thought it was a Netflix deal, ty!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

Oh! I thought it was a Netflix deal, ty!

History channel stuff is all over the place. Chasing down Forged in Fire was like that "How to Watch Pokemon in order chart."

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
Speaking of kayfabe, how "real" is Alone actually? There was just a shot of a dude in his canoe from really far away, and I'm pretty sure he didn't go all the way out to an island then back just to set up that single camera shot. I also assume they do periodic check-ins with the team just to make sure they haven't been eaten by a cougar or something. (And possibly supply drops of fresh camera batteries because I assume they don't last for more than a few days)

ymgve fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Apr 28, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

To my knowledge in alone they are just given some cameras. They might be guided by the producers to set them up a certain way for better television but I don't think there's a camera crew. I could be wrong about that though.

Im pretty sure all of those shows have more crew involvement than it appears though. Like, they are at the very least going to need fresh batteries regularly. it makes it look like the producers only come out in a medical emergency, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were there every day just to keep the show moving and watchable.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
Making my way through Tokyo Vice S2.

Of course Lynn Minmay's voice pops up lololololololololololol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There are frequent camera battery dropoffs and wellness check-ins, more of them than the editing would suggest. Also they get a whole bunch of camera tech and filming training/orientation before they are sent out to the woods.

withak fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 28, 2024

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

ymgve posted:

Speaking of kayfabe, how "real" is Alone actually? There was just a shot of a dude in his canoe from really far away, and I'm pretty sure he didn't go all the way out to an island then back just to set up that single camera shot. I also assume they do periodic check-ins with the team just to make sure they haven't been eaten by a cougar or something. (And possibly supply drops of fresh camera batteries because I assume they don't last for more than a few days)

They have a weekly medical checkup iirc where they also give them fresh batteries for the cameras, and have other sorts of checkins, but also I've heard some of the contestants have set timelines in terms of max stay and so when someone seems to be doing great but then suddenly goes home I think it's often that

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
They claim that the crew don't really talk to them during the battery changes, hard to say if that's true obviously. They start showing some of the wellness check-ins once they start to matter so you get an idea of how much interaction they have. Not much beyond the reminder that you're not literally alone. I think they're also more brief in the beginning because they're not having to do BMI math and all that.

Supposedly they do all film their own shots. But the crew do also get establishing shots and interstitials during the setup phase. They always make sure to get a scary-looking video of a dangerous animal to put in the previews that was taken before anybody showed up. But some contestants have fun doing cool nature shots. It'd help keep you from getting bored.

Papercut posted:

They have a weekly medical checkup iirc where they also give them fresh batteries for the cameras, and have other sorts of checkins, but also I've heard some of the contestants have set timelines in terms of max stay and so when someone seems to be doing great but then suddenly goes home I think it's often that

Mild kayfabe talk but I'll follow suit There are some that definitely don't seem to plan on winning who are just grateful for the experience. They're at least fun to watch, so I don't mind. At the same time, the producers have said that the issue is that since they are reliant on the people to self-film they're at their mercy for narratives. Some of the people who suddenly drop out were eating poo poo for days and either put on a brave face for the camera or they just stopped filming as much footage. I think they've said before that they've had that problem occasionally where someone doing bad just stops giving a poo poo about filming and it makes it hard on them to edit together a satisfying exit. Also at least one guy who probably hurt himself on purpose so he could tap out.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

withak posted:

There are frequent camera battery dropoffs and wellness check-ins, more of them than the editing would suggest. Also they get a whole bunch of camera tech and filming training/orientation before they are sent out to the woods.

They're not usually shy about their medical check-ins but they don't usually start showing them until later in the season when they become more impactful. They're pretty transparent about their practices.

As for the camera stuff... Yeah they really do have that training you mentioned and often complain about having to basically do so much of their poo poo twice (once for their camera then for real).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Honestly most of them probably do a pretty good job because there’s literally nothing else to do. Making a cool video is basically the only form of entertainment they have and there seems to be an insane amount of downtime between bouts of surviving.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

Offensive Clock
What I'm specifically talking about is this shot (and probably more I didn't notice):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwyHU-zgUn0&t=95s

Am I to believe he canoed all the way out, placed a camera, then went back for that single shot, then back again to fetch the camera, four trips in a canoe he wasn't even sure was gonna float?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Oh, I think they get more than 1 camera. All the search results keep saying that they get 5 but that may just be for recent seasons thanks to GoPro and tiny camera tech. Not sure if that was true back in Season 1 but I think they got more than 1. So I assume he set up the cameras on the bank and then went out. It would explain why it's a steady shot.

In each season there are a few people who are really proud of their projects and they probably put a little too much effort into them. Definitely, some people who want to be nature doc people more than they care about winning. But again, I guess it also fights the boredom.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Also, keep in mind the possibility that he made a wide shot of himself canoeing around on some later date when he knew the canoe worked and they edited it into the original test to make it more interesting. That's a lower-key bit of fakery than secretly having camera crews out there.