Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

No True Scotsman
This is less of a fallacy and more of a bar game. If you speak in a Scottish accent (whether it's your actual accent* or one you're putting on for the game) anyone is free to issue the challenge, "But are you a True Scotsman?" At which point you may either decline or engage. If you decline you have the right to issue a counterchallenge of whatever kind you like, where the loser of that challenge must pay for the winner's drink. If on the other hand you engage, you have to show whether you're wearing underwear or not. If you are, you have to pay for their drink. If you're not, they have to pay for yours.

Schroedinger's Cat
Put a cat inside a box. Now close the box. Is the cat still in the box? If you said "acshually yes AND no!" and made this face :smug: you might have Alzheimer's disease.

Strawman
This is when your argument is so weak another person can blow it away as if it was made of straw. Consider upgrading to a stickman or brickman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

Ad Hominem
literally "ad(vertising) man," this is the fallacy of relying unchecked on the wisdom of donald draper from the hit television series mad men. while mr. draper may have had a certain flair for pitching concepts to clients, his impulsiveness in marrying his secretary megan served as a sharp reminder of his emotional immaturity.

ty nesamdoom!

Escape From Noise

Lol. Phallus.

Thank you Pot Smoke Pheonnix for this Kickin' Rad sig

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

Begging the Question: please bro, i just need one question. i'm desperate man, i'm not joking around

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

Buttchocks

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Appeal to Greenery: the assumption that everything your houseplants tell you is inherently true.

FutonForensic

Sunk Cost: The price to have something sunk in a bog or swamp

Manifisto

False Dilemma: when pointing out a misstatement by your opponent, do you yell "False!" while stabbing the air with your finger, or do you go for a more restrained and confident "Actually . . . "

ty nesamdoom!

Kaiser Schnitzel

Schnitzel mit uns

Apophasis: 'I wont mention all the posts that lurkers didn't make, nor will I complain about all the tacos GaG didn't eat, nor indeed will I stoop so low as to bring up the fiasco wherein GaG attempted to drink a white claw, because that would be extremely unchill'

https://i.imgur.com/R8ctked.mp4
ty Manifisto for this wonderful sig!

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
appeal to authority: if your argument is something someone powerful like elon musk or dick cheney might find appealing, it's most definitely wrong

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nosfereefer

IF YOU FIND THIS POSTER OUTSIDE BYOB, PLEASE RETURN THEM. WE ARE VERY WORRIED AND WE MISS THEM
balls equivalency: making sweeping generalizations about balls

FutonForensic

Bandwagon: everyone is hopping on this wagon because wagons are fun to ride

Manifisto

cherry picking: what cherry miners do all day down in the cherry mines. dangerous work: accidentally hit a vein of maraschino and everyone could drown instantly, however your corpse will be a pleasant garnish for cocktails so there's that

ty nesamdoom!

google THIS

Tu quoque: Attempting to divert your opponent from the topic at hand by flagging down the waitstaff and ordering a Coke for both of you. At least I think that's what it means, I'm not good at French or whatever

Nosfereefer

proof by induction: using electromagnetism to win arguments

Buttchocks

riposte: banning someone because it's not worth your time to explain all the many ways that what they posted is wrong.

Escape From Noise

Slippery Slope: Greasing a slope and getting your debate opponent to stand at the top of it so when they slide down it they'll become injured, thus forfeiting the debate.

google THIS

:justpost: Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc: But I hardly know 'er hoc

The Hello Machine

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
Kettle logic: tea's ready :)

The Hello Machine fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 25, 2022

Manifisto

circular reasoning: pi is like . . . wow, man. do you have any idea how important pi is, it's like--imagine all the numbers, and that's not really all the numbers, because pi and also e and maybe epsilon? not sure about that last one, but whoa. there are these 3d fractal things and it's like, just pi to the pi to the pi or something. also pi is very important in astrology and cancer is in retrograde or . . . anyway what the gently caress was I saying? I think these edibles are kicking in.

ty nesamdoom!

u sp33k l33t br0

Who Doesn't Like Intercourse?
The Just-World Fallacy is the cognitive bias that assumes that "people get what they deserve" – that actions will have morally fair and fitting consequences for the actor.

xcheopis

Argument from Ignorance - Someone is trying to claim that everything is soup in a bread bowl and therefore ghosts are a type of soup.

Fifteen years taking prescriptions
Now a shrink like, "I dunno, maybe get a kitten"

Finger Prince

Encyclopedia of logical phalluses

code:

Horny|Stimulated->Boner
0.    0.          0
1.    0.          1
0.    1.          1
1.    1.          1 

Buttchocks

Argument from Ancestry: Do it because it makes Grandma happy.

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

google THIS posted:

Tu quoque: Attempting to divert your opponent from the topic at hand by flagging down the waitstaff and ordering a Coke for both of you. At least I think that's what it means, I'm not good at French or whatever

tú quoque no es grande

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

David Pratt
false middle: this is when they take some of the triangles out of the Toblerone to save money while making it seem like it's the same size it used to be

Doctor Dogballs

False bottom: A type of cushion you stick in your pants to make your buns look like bigger buns :nice:

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"

google THIS

Texas Sharpshooter: When you hire a cowboy hitman to convince your opponent to concede the debate, suddenly and permanently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prurient Squid

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Bootstrap Paradox
The act of pulling on your shoelaces and achieving self propulsion up beyond the statasphere into space and having adventures with galactic friends with a blase attitude to such questions as "why can't everyone do likewise" and "how do you breathe in a vacuum".