Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ortho
Jul 6, 2021

Cross-posted from Ask/Tell:

What's a good free crash course on Greek? Nothing more complex than "Hello. Where is __? How much is it? (I'll take it || That's too much). Thank you. Goodbye". I'm sure I could do it in English -- I've been to Mykonos on vacation before and all the shops could speak a plethora of languages -- but I'd like to be polite and use their language as much as possible.

Rosetta Stone: I've heard good thing and horrendous things, and it isn't free. For the basics I'm looking for, I don't know if I can justify it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Honestly if it's just basic touristy sentences you're after, then any guidebook you can get from a bookshop will probably be a good start, combined with some Duolingo or similar to practice pronunciation, grammar and to expand your vocabulary. Even your local library may have course books, or more extensive courses with CDs if you want to go a little further.

If you want to move beyond that level then I would strongly recommend doing a paid course with an instructor. I've personally done courses through the Hellenic Centre in London that I'm quite happy with.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I'd just go with Duolingo, personally. But unless you're going to be there for a while, I wouldn't get super invested in it - my experience is typically that learning phrases is great, but not much help if you can't understand the answers. Asking "where is the bus station" in perfect Greek might get you some brownie points, but people will probably think you're a bit slow when their reply of "just down the street, two blocks past the white umbrella, near the souvlaki shop" gets nothing but a blank look. Or they'll just answer in English anyway :v:

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

the Spain Virus posted:

Cross-posted from Ask/Tell:

What's a good free crash course on Greek? Nothing more complex than "Hello. Where is __? How much is it? (I'll take it || That's too much). Thank you. Goodbye". I'm sure I could do it in English -- I've been to Mykonos on vacation before and all the shops could speak a plethora of languages -- but I'd like to be polite and use their language as much as possible.

Rosetta Stone: I've heard good thing and horrendous things, and it isn't free. For the basics I'm looking for, I don't know if I can justify it.

This is Greeks we're talking about. They get off on the exclusive specialness of all things Greek (imagined or otherwise). They definitely don't care about foreigners speaking their own languages.

Now pronunciation of Greek things? That they will care about.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Get the Language Transfer app. It's free and basically a series of audiobook chapters with a method that sticks so well. It's fantastic. I use it to augment in class at the local Greek church and Duolingo. Last summer I was able to speak with random Greeks and my family that don't speak English. I was quite impressed.