Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
You know the one

Back in the day this was usually the sign of box with art worth looking at. The games could be hit or miss, but honestly, I think most of the time these games were great example of how you don't have to actually be better than the rest so long as you have more fun doing it.

Bring back Weaponlord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What about Eternal Darkness on GameCube where you had a sanity meter and blood starts running down the walls when it’s low?

Urban Sorcerer
Oct 16, 2005
Chakan was the first dark souls game

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

sticksy posted:

What about Eternal Darkness on GameCube where you had a sanity meter and blood starts running down the walls when it’s low?

I don't think Eternal Darkness counts. We're talkin about embracing that insanity here. In Eternal Darkness, you're a scared little dipshit trying not to go insane as you go through some house. In Splatterhouse, they take your girl, and you're a scared little dipshit, so you put on a mask that turns you into a brutal shitwrecker that just kills whatever wrongs you. We're talkin over the top cartoony Twisted Metal bullshit here baby!!!!! Carmaggeddon AND Quarantine

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
hell yea, I remember buying doom troopers based 100% on the title and the box art

I think the only other game I ever bought knowing totally nothing about it, other than just looking at the box at the store, was probably Battlefield 1942. which was because it had a battleship on the back

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
yep

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjj-iD_YiGE

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

This thread has latchkey kids listening to Slipknot and playing The Suffering while wearing a marilyn manson shirt and zipper off xtra wide raver bondage pants energy. I love the thread idea but thinking back to most of the games I've played with that aesthetic, including many from the OP... most of those games SUCKED! I remember 12 year old me picking up a used copy of reloaded on ps1 in the old huge black cases cause of those siiiiick screenshots and hating it. Same with CRUSADER: NO REMORSE and TUNNEL B1. The Crow game that was a weird rear end longform beatemup was...a little bit better. Weaponlord i remember being kinda fun, better than B. I. O. Freaks at least, generational gap and all.

Ps2/xbox had the better swansongs to that aesthetic with The Suffering and Manhunt 1/2. 2 may have sucked but it was probably THE aesthetic title of the quoted bits in the thread. Honorable mentions to Nightmare Creatures 2 on dreamcast and Condemned on 360. I can't think of anything more modern than that. Dead Space 2 maybe and that's kinda stretching it.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origins might fit the bill for late 90s early 00s edginess.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Well, if you wait long enough, eventually something does come around. There was a splatterhouse remake too, it just wasn't very good. I think of MadWorld as also fitting the bill, and Stranger of Paradise is pretty much a must buy as a Nioh fan here. There's just something very like uhh.. bear with this description, but I think you'll understand- "Reaching too hard to be Todd McFarlane". I dunno what it is about it. Depending on where they go with it I might just get exactly that

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Urban Sorcerer posted:

:drat:

You're right.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Nightmare Reaper feels like a game straight from that era. It's like a Doom total conversion, and the main character is in an asylum that you return to between levels, and there are notes you read between each level talking about what a sick-nasty dangerous freak she is. You get a powerup that turns you into a fireball shooting demon, and there's a chainsaw with a hook and winch on it so you can hook onto enemies and pull yourself to them to chainsaw them. The few songs on the soundtrack are metal as gently caress too.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Urban Sorcerer posted:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

THE SUFFERING

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

forgot about Condemned, thats a good un too. those mannequins man...

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Urban Sorcerer posted:

holy poo poo

SoR Blaze
Apr 12, 2006
American McGee's Alice really fascinated me when it came out. Alice in Wonderland, but this time it's a little... heh... twisted

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Urban Sorcerer posted:

The false ending where he shivs himself and then Death is like "lol, you think this is the only planet in the galaxy you crispy looking pilgrim gently caress?" and Chakan is like "Roooooagh!" with two katanas in his gut was sick as gently caress when I was 10 and also almost 40.

Anyway, the Outlast games would probably be a pretty late outing of this aesthetic, right? Or is the player character too powerless? It has that thing where dudes stare at TV static like they're watching a show, which is the most 1996 edgelord thing I can imagine.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Mar 24, 2022

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

soul sacrifice was an amazing game that noone played, and oh man the art

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
American McGee's getting an Alice movie which could be the impetus needed to get that third game he's been pitching for the last decade greenlighted, so your wish might come true OP

Mordja fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 24, 2022

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Chakan looks like the Iron Maiden mascot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Chakan looks like the Iron Maiden mascot

"Jowl Corpse" is a time-honoured totem amongst kids in your school who wear Pantera hoodies and make deodorant can flame-throwers.