Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheOldMan
Jul 6, 2004
You call this a glitch!?
Problem description:

I recently built a new computer and finally got it to start and was able to install Windows. However, I noticed that my GPU wasn't recognized and was shown in device manager as a generic EVGA device. I figured I just needed to reinstall it so I shut everything down, disconnected the power, and pulled it out and stuck it back in the PCI slot. After doing that, when I turned the computer back on it booted but it froze at the ASRock logo and Windows never started. The VGA and Boot LED's on the post-status checker are also red now. I'm able to get into BIOS but nothing I do there seems to fix the problem. I'm at loss here as it appeared to be working before so any help is appreciated.

Attempted fixes:

To try and fix this I have:

Pulled out and reinstalled the GPU
Ensured power is connected
CMOS reset
Set PCI speed for the port the GPU is in to 3.0 rather than Auto since it's an older card
Enabled compatibility support mode and changed PCI device ROM priority to "Legacy"

I don't have an onboard graphics card so I was unable to try booting with that rather than the GTX.

Recent changes:

Taking out and reinstalling the GPU appears to have triggered this

Operating system:

Windows 10 64 bit

System specs:

I've also noted below which parts are new and which parts were in my old build.

ASRock Z590 Steel Legend - NEW
Intel i5-11400 2.6 Ghz - NEW
OLOy Blade 16GB (2x8 GB) DDR4 3200 RAM - NEW
GTX 1060 6 GB - OLD
Western Digital Blue SN550 NVMe 1 TB - NEW
Power: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 W - OLD

USA

I have Googled and read the FAQ:

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOldMan
Jul 6, 2004
You call this a glitch!?
A quick update on this, I was able to get into Windows using the recovery mode on the USB it came in. However, in device manager my video card is still displayed as "EVGA Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" rather than GTX 1060. Downloading the drivers online didn't seem to help and Windows crashed a couple of times while I was in it. It looks like something is going on with the video card that's causing these issues but I'm not sure what.

TheOldMan
Jul 6, 2004
You call this a glitch!?
One final update for the day on this. I was able to get into safe mode and update the drivers and Windows correctly recognized my graphics card, which was good. Shortly thereafter it crashed, which was bad. Now whenever I start up the computer it starts to load but then I get a "system thread exception not handled error" and it restarts, and gets the same error again and so on until I turn it off. I can't get into safe mode again to try and fix it so I'm at a loss now on how to break out of this cycle.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
This sounds like it has to be a bad video card period. Do you have another graphics card you can try?

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.
Double post