Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
my dad is still alive but my best memory of him is when I was a senior in high school and had a girlfriend in college about 4 hours away. He took off of work and drove me to the bus station, but I read the times wrong and there was no bus leaving for like 8 hours. He said "gently caress it" and drove me to see her. Drinking together many years later I mentioned that memory to him and he said "you don't often get to be alone and just talk with your son for 4 hours when he's 17." I wanted to cry but didn't because he's not into that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
My mom was a 70s punk girl who raised me on The Clash, Ramones, and Black Flag. She was also a massive Trekkie and we would watch first run TNG/DS9/VOY together when I was growing up. She was cool as poo poo and died way too young from cancer.

My dad was a radio producer and had weird and awesome connections to record and tv industry. Grew up in studios and hung out backstage with bands when I was a kid. Too bad he was a super lovely person who abused and bankrupted my mom, disappeared for 20 years, and then became a right wing radio host in Texas. He died from Covid. Lol

hotdog feet
Nov 3, 2005

HD DAD posted:

My mom was a 70s punk girl who raised me on The Clash, Ramones, and Black Flag. She was also a massive Trekkie and we would watch first run TNG/DS9/VOY together when I was growing up. She was cool as poo poo and died way too young from cancer.

My dad was a radio producer and had weird and awesome connections to record and tv industry. Grew up in studios and hung out backstage with bands when I was a kid. Too bad he was a super lovely person who abused and bankrupted my mom, disappeared for 20 years, and then became a right wing radio host in Texas. He died from Covid. Lol

your mom was rad as hell

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Marcade posted:

If only he had been cremated, your wish could come true.

This is the kind of sensitive response I've come to know and love from these here forums. Not mad, I lol'ed.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Even mine are still alive

Sorry about your loss OP

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

All in all they were probably B- parents I guess. They didn't abuse us physically at least.

My Dad still made us live in near-poverty level conditions like we were holocaust survivors because he grew up an extremely poor black kid in Detroit in the 1960s and was the 6th of 8 kids. When I say poor I mean that two of my three uncles died before I was even born and the other one was in jail for robbery levels of poor. My dad didn't know anything else and thought that work and struggle made you a better person when in reality it just made life miserable.

My mom never knew her father because he ran off before she was born, and her mom's rotating husbands and boyfriends would abuse my mom and her sisters physically and sexually, so my Mom was the flipside with us and was way, way too hands-off which led to me being a lazy kid who never did his homework.

The good thing is that they both saved a bunch of money and so the inheritance is pretty sizeable and I can probably retire off of it. Two rentable houses in very desireable areas and a bunch of cash and stocks.

Honestly my mom, my dad, my brother and myself are all so completely different that I can't imagine we are a real family. We all look and act like four totally different people.

AHH F/UGH fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 1, 2022

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

AHH F/UGH posted:

Honestly my mom, my dad, my brother and myself are all so completely different that I can't imagine we are a real family. We all look and act like four totally different people.

I can relate to that last bit. Having extremely hands-off parents meant when we get together for the holidays we have nothing really to talk about, and we have nothing in common. We just get together because we believe we should. I love my parents, but I don't even understand the way they think sometimes because they're kind of strangers to me.

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

This is the kind of sensitive response I've come to know and love from these here forums. Not mad, I lol'ed.

Cremated my father in October last year. I'm qualified to shitpost.

Phone autocorrected to poo poo potatoes. I have no idea.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

ChubbyChecker posted:

they had s*x

ChubbyChecker ... CC ...Chelsea Clinton... SAX!?

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
Mom could go through half a crate of beer and 2 packs of cigarettes on a good weekend evening. Godspeed mom, getting shitfaced together and listening to 80s music was some good poo poo :guinness:

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My mom died when I was 8 and I don't remember a whole lot of my childhood in general. I remember she slept a lot since she was sick and I spent a lot of time at her friend's house with her kid during sleepovers. I also spent a gently caress-ton of time alone as a kid since she was sleeping all day. I'd just wander the apartment complex playing in the trees, climbing giant rocks (once saw a black widow!) and playing around the boat docks. My aunt gave me an adult sized bike with no brakes that I would ride down the hill at full tilt into oncoming traffic. Somehow I never got hurt.

Between being completely unsupervised around roads, the bike and the lake, I'm sometimes surprised I lived with 0 injuries.

Probably the weirdest thing is that I remember very clearly was her sending me to a co-worker's Thanksgiving dinner where it was just me and another woman I didn't know eating a full Thanksgiving meal by candlelight and then me walking home in the rain.

That was weird, right? Like, I remember it and I thought it was weird at the time. I'm still not sure why she did that? Maybe to give me a Thanksgiving when she couldn't when she was sick?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Produce snot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

empty sea posted:

That was weird, right? Like, I remember it and I thought it was weird at the time. I'm still not sure why she did that? Maybe to give me a Thanksgiving when she couldn't when she was sick?

Maybe that and trying to give the co-worker company on thanksgiving as well