Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Edit: Wrong thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Hunter Hunted which was an extremely bizarre sprite-based 2.5D action platformer published by Sierra in 1996.

You played either Jake, a buff human dude, or GARATHE DEN, a minotaur. If you played the former you would sometimes end up hunted by an AI version of the latter, but there was also local multiplayer. There were “layers” to the levels, so at certain points you move through apertures toward or away from the sidescrolling camera into other areas.

There was no real narrative or rhyme or reason to anything. I think Jake was trying to rebuild his flying car to escape the post-apocalypse, GARATHE DEN just wanted to kill Jake I think.

In retrospect the entire game was very clearly slapped together from various random assets and was very, very janky. You fought ceiling turrets and floating robots and a big nasty knockoff of ED-209 from Robocop, but also little green frog dudes who were kamikaze grenades, and cat people who could turn invisible and do flips. There were also various environmental hazards like poison.

Both playable characters shared some throwable weapons (grenades, exploding shurikens) but there was actually variance in loadout otherwise. Jake getting the standard autopistol-shotgun-bazooka progression that made him best at mid-long range. GARATHE DEN hit hard in melee and started with a spiked club that practically turned Jake into a pinball when it connected and a long electric whip that also spit balls of energy that divided into smaller projectiles as they traveled (and exploded on impact obviously).

The rudimentary physics were really the attraction - GARATHE DEN could leap long distances but Jake could, if jumping from the right ledges, enact a very satisfying Mission:Impossible style self-yeet. And of course when you caught an opponent with the club or a stream of grenades there was the popcorn factor.

The game also had one of those prototypically 90’s, KMFDM-adjacent ambient-industrial-disco-metal soundtracks, by a band named Spine Folder. As a preteen dirtbag I flogged the game disc in my CD player more than I actually played the game:
https://youtu.be/Q69tuEOJfWc

It was not a good game. But whenever I need to pull a vaguely mystical / alien / fantasy character name out of my rear end for some reason, my first go-to is always GARATHE DEN.

Anyway, in terms of fondly remembered turbo-jank games with Unfortunate OSTs it was either that, or STREETS OF SIMCITY, a fundamentally confused attempt to infuse SC2000 with a bloodless take on TWISTED METAL-style vehicular duelling. Maxis did a far better job memory-holing it than they did SIMCOPTER.

And it wasn’t those two, it would the math edutainment game that the YOU DON’T KNOW JACK guys made. Because of it I’ve always remembered that a circular cutout is the only shape that won’t instantly fall into its own hole. Won me a trivia contest once.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 24, 2022

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Hunter Hunted was one of those games that I had completely forgotten about, as I had only played the demo once on a friend's PC back in the day, but like a year ago, the memory of it struck my brain like lightning and I asked in the "What was the name of this game?" thread, and got a quick answer.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 24, 2022

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWePqd5j7V8

chronomaster, an adventure game written by roger zelazny, who i haven't otherwise read anything of

it's a game with an unusual plot: it takes place in a future where rich people can create "pocket universes" where they can live with changed laws of physics and logic, so you can have a world where magic is real or which obeys the logic of arabian nights stories or a world which has continuous warfare for no reason. someone has been going into these worlds and shutting down the flow of time, putting them into "stasis" and the player is an investigator who has to go into these pocket universes, using a bubble of "pocket time" to sustain themselves in a world that is frozen in a single instance, to find out what's happening

this has some weird effects, the bubble of normal time around you makes it so that if you come close to a falling rock, it will continue its fall. there are some puzzles where you have to use this in combination with the logic of the local pocket universe to get out of situations. it's pretty unique. the game plays okay, the movement and puzzles can be a bit awkward but the voice acting is great. the puzzles are very unusual and pretty difficult, although there's nearly always multiple paths that you can take. it's probably my favorite old school adventure game besides larry 7 and discworld

there's just so much variety and a lot of original ideas, it isn't really like anything else, but i have yet to meet a single person that has also played it

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Shibawanko posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWePqd5j7V8

chronomaster, an adventure game written by roger zelazny, who i haven't otherwise read anything of

it's a game with an unusual plot: it takes place in a future where rich people can create "pocket universes" where they can live with changed laws of physics and logic, so you can have a world where magic is real or which obeys the logic of arabian nights stories or a world which has continuous warfare for no reason. someone has been going into these worlds and shutting down the flow of time, putting them into "stasis" and the player is an investigator who has to go into these pocket universes, using a bubble of "pocket time" to sustain themselves in a world that is frozen in a single instance, to find out what's happening

this has some weird effects, the bubble of normal time around you makes it so that if you come close to a falling rock, it will continue its fall. there are some puzzles where you have to use this in combination with the logic of the local pocket universe to get out of situations. it's pretty unique. the game plays okay, the movement and puzzles can be a bit awkward but the voice acting is great. the puzzles are very unusual and pretty difficult, although there's nearly always multiple paths that you can take. it's probably my favorite old school adventure game besides larry 7 and discworld

there's just so much variety and a lot of original ideas, it isn't really like anything else, but i have yet to meet a single person that has also played it

How did I not know that one of the last things Zelazny worked on was a 90s adventure game? That has Ron Perlman and Brent Spiner in it!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Raze's Hell came out in 2005. Republicans controlled the government, Sean Hannity and Bill O'Reilly were on every TV in every restaurant and motel. If you were young enough, or if you worked hard enough not to think about it, things were okay. Raze's Hell wasn't subtle about things being very "Not Okay," but it did its best to cloak that message behind juvenile irreverence.

I never saw the ads for it, but they got the point across:

Your enemies, the Kewletts, are effectively Teletubbies. They run around being cute, saying funny things, and generally taking delight in everything they do. They have cars, television, celebrity gossip, candy, a beautiful princess and a news media utterly devoted to praising Kewlett Culture and it's constituent/subservient races (teddy bears, rabbits, squirrels, etc.)

The main character, a weird humanoid creature, is driven from his village by the Kewletts. The Kewlett Princess has decreed that the ugly creatures of the Hinterland need to be enlightened, namely by murdering everyone not considered cute, and enslaving the rest. Kewlett Sean Hannity is loving this poo poo.

The Kewletts, armed with jack-in-the-box lasers and candy-cane axes, have the initiative against the unarmed creatures of Raze's tribe. However, after a tutorial telling you to look to the Heavens for help (and finding none), the player is chased into a cave containing an ancient relic. Raze is overcome with the power of the ancients, becoming an unstoppable killing machine dedicated solely to pushing the Kewletts back. Raze's revenge is not pretty, and the Kewletts quickly come to panic at the sight of him, for good reason.

As gratuitous as the violence against the cute characters gets, the real gut punch is the impact the war has on everyone. Raze is made into a monster immediately after seeing his family killed. After their offensive stalls, the Kewletts are then forced to defend their walled, suburban haven. Increasingly desperate, they strap explosives to teddy bears and send them at the Hinterland forces. Some small squirrels are even used to guide rockets as kamikazes. Even the Kewlett dialogue becomes more cynical, repeating famous movie lines like "The dead only know one thing, it's better to be alive" in cute cartoon voices. The game also becomes quite difficult, especially when the Elite Kewtenators start showing up.

As most of these stories go, the indigenous races of the Hinterlands unite against the invaders and push them back, eventually striking at the Imperial Core. The game's ending isn't as simple as killing the Princess and making everything great, however. By the time Raze steps foot beyond the Kewletts' broken walls, he's already lost everything he ever was, as have the Kewletts. You're free to murder Kewlett civilians and rampage, or not. Avoiding civilians is hard though, and they're more likely to get blown up by friendly fire and Royal Guard attacks than any Hinterland monster.

The story of Raze's Hell is literally told by a narrator, gradually paging through a fairy tale book, chapter by chapter. The game crafts a unique and interesting world, and slowly rips it apart. It maintains a good sense of humor throughout, but the message is inescapable. The war broke the world and everyone in it. The war ultimately doesn't end in total victory for either side, nor does it guarantee a lasting peace. In the end, the fighting stops due to political chicanery and exhaustion, on both sides. By the game's end, all anyone wants is to go home, maybe play some mini golf.

Grammarchist fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Sep 24, 2022