Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Problem description: My Google fiber was acting a bit finnicky the other night and I power cycled the modem, great success internet isn't finnicky, but now I can't get anything out of my switch. For my WFH setup I have a switch with an ethernet cable going to my PC and one going to my work laptop. Neither my work laptop or my PC is detecting the hardwire connection (but wifi works fine)

Attempted fixes: I power cycled the switch and power cycled the modem again. I have tried ipconfig /release (and /renew) and that didn't do anything.

Recent changes: The only change that would've effected this is power cycling the modem

Operating system: Windows 10 for both machines.

System specs: My modem / router is the basic Google "puck" looking one and the switch is a 4 port netgear unmanaged switch (GS305)

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes. Googling my question has yielded some information, but everything I've tried has not worked. I also don't know if I'm googling the right thing because largely the questions that I'm seeing that are similar are working under the assumption that the netgear device is the modem/router and not a switch. I'm sure the solution is simple and someone will go "Do X dumbshit" but I'm at a loss as to what to do. I've had this switch for a year and half and have not had any issues with it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sixfools
Aug 27, 2005

You be the Moon,
I'll be the Earth
And when we burst
Start over, oh, darling
Do the lights from the Router port to the Switch port light up? Switch port to Computer ports are lighting up on all ends as well? Have you tried swapping cables?

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sixfools posted:

Do the lights from the Router port to the Switch port light up? Switch port to Computer ports are lighting up on all ends as well? Have you tried swapping cables?

All lights are lit up, I haven't tried switching cables yet because I don't think cables are the issue, but I'm willing to try it if nothing else.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

When a basic switch stops working it's usually a cut-and-dry situation AKA it's dead and something on the board may need to be soldered to repair it.

It's rare but possible that one of the cables (or one of the ports on the switch or the computer port) has malfunctioned though. That could cause a network storm which would stop traffic sometimes. Trying different cables/devices etc. would determine this.

It's also possible the switch power cord is failing but that's also a rare issue.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib
Even though I have no clue why, swapping the loving cables worked. I noticed that the clip on the cable that was plugged into the modem was gone so I think maybe it wasn't fully seated in the modem. loving strange.