Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
If I don't finish a game, it's because it's bad.

I usually finish games I don't like too though. I think devoting my academic career to literary criticism and new media probably broke me, because even poo poo I hate I'll finish just so I can ruminate on why it's bad and why the people who liked it are low quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
I’ve been doing this thing for years now where a game will come out, I’ll be excited to play it, play it for an hour or two and have to go do something else and think “That was really fun, I’m excited to play more later/tomorrow.”

And then I don’t, for months, sometimes years. Back in the days where Steam got I dunno, 40-60 AAA releases a year I’d buy nearly every one and complete almost all of them, real pieces of poo poo aside. Now practically everything I play is GaaS, F2P, feeemium etc grind and progression games. The last thing I finished was Dad of War and the gulf of unfinished things on either side of it is extremely wide, relative to how many good games come out yearly now.

I don’t hate or even dislike this state of affairs necessarily, my biggest time sinks in SP games have always been RPGs and far from the revival of CRPGs being my personal nirvana I’ve hated pretty much every single one of them. I think ultimately my brain just has different stuff it enjoys now but it’s interesting that a lot of SA posters seem to have gone in the opposite direction over the years, from heavy MP to mostly SP and story stuff.

Orv fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 8, 2022

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer
My trap has been turn-based iso rpgs. Pillars, Divinity, Pathfinder, etc. I keep buying them, playing them for about an hour and wondering why the hell I thought I would enjoy watching tiny figures slowly traverse a generic dungeon, looking for glowing pixels and dying to some garbage tentacle monster.

And six months later, I somehow convince myself that this time, I’ll really get that Balders Gate feeling back.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
Gamepass is pretty genius. It almost feels directly targeted at the sad, fickle, anhedonic adult who can't let go of their old toys. I always thought I'd never buy into subscription service poo poo but Microsoft takes my money every month for whatever the cost of me downloading a game or two and playing it for 5 minutes is.

ErrEff posted:

22% of players finished Red Dead Redemption 2's epilogue.
30% of players finished the main story quest in Horizon: Zero Dawn.
23% of players finished The Witcher 3.
16% of Fallout 4 players reached one of the four endings.

lol in my mind these stats look waaaaay more like "% of players who finished the tutorial"

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

I bounced hard off fallout 4 after like 20 hours.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I don't really try to finish games, I see no intrinsic value in beating a game for the sake of beating it. Actually often the more I like a game, the less likely I am to finish it, at least if it's a long one. God of War, beat, bout 45 hours, but it's a mediocre game. Fallout 4 is the worst game I've ever beaten, but did nearly 100 hours of that (to be fair I was catching up on years of backlogged podcasts since the game was so mindless).

Death Stranding/MGSV are two games I really love, have poured over 100 hours into each, but have never ever finished their last story quests. I intend to someday. It's a combo of burnout (usually around 100 hours) + completionism holding me back + don't really want it to be over. In general though many modern open worldy trends tend to be things that waste your time in exchange for minimal or no new or challenging content. I only played Dying Light 2 for 2 hours but pretty sure I saw about 80% of the activities they had to offer and I got bored/annoyed/exhausted when they dumped me into the open world map icon spam portion of the game. Sometimes when the activities are really stellar or glued together right it's satisfying, but these days it all feels like videogames-by-numbers. When you can almost immediately see from tutorial combat and your first few game interactions what kind of quests and challenges this game can possibly have, it's hard to want to stick around to see more of what you seen before with a new skin.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
One of the issues for me is that I'm spoiled for choice. Pirating plus legit purchases has left me with a library of literally thousands of games. Which gets added to weekly. I have about 15 TBs of installed games.

Of which I will finish perhaps 5% at most

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Play posted:

One of the issues for me is that I'm spoiled for choice. Pirating plus legit purchases has left me with a library of literally thousands of games. Which gets added to weekly. I have about 15 TBs of installed games.

Of which I will finish perhaps 5% at most

The gamer version of having a thousand channels on tv but nothing seems good to watch.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Crashed and burned on Dying Light 2 but I think that’s less me and more about the game being a tedious dud

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Skeezy posted:

This happens to me all the time, it's why in a year I'll be lucky to finish even like 2/3 games. The habit seems to be that I'll buy whatever the newest game is that's out (did it yesterday with Dying Light 2), I'll play it for a couple days (usually just the weekend) and then get tired of it and never play it again.

I'm the same way, and just about every "gamer" I know IRL ("Gamer" in quotes because I don't mean like, people who play lots of call of duty or whatever, but people who play grognard indie games and are serious about their game opinions and things) has said pretty much the same thing. Buy a new game and even legitimately enjoy it for a weekend while we get our "exciting new game" fix and then a few days later just kind of stare at it in our library and go "ehhh". There are a ton of games that I don't even dislike or have a bad time playing, but that I just can't bring myself to start up because they're not exciting enough to make me anticipate playing.

It's very similar to tolerance in addicts - someone with a very high tolerance needs to find the premium stuff to get the high they want, which becomes unsustainable and eventually impossible as that 'premium stuff' stops being the high they're chasing and they need the next one. I'm not trying to tell us all that we're addicted or anything but as someone who has studied addiction and has lately been particularly engaged with thinking about ways that games use the mechanics of addiction to encourage player engagement, I think this is kind of funny.

Realistically I think society as a whole has become addicted to on-demand joy, there are an overwhelmingly large number of games these days and tons of them are even extremely good. When Steam Sales first became a thing and so many of us started inflating these massive backlogs of all the games we always wanted to play but didn't want to pay for, there was a long period of just having interesting and exciting new games to play for virtually every minute of every day - either new releases, old games you picked up on sale, exciting new games you had never heard of but they were only $3, etc. Then over time everyone started buying less in sales - we already owned half the games that were on sale, plus ugh there's just going to be another sale next week. We worked through the backlogs of games that we had always been interested in and found that maybe we're not that interested in them, or just don't have time to play them - and the magic started to fade from the high of buying and checking out a brand new game. Now there's less to buy (because backlogs are filled out, not because there are no good games coming out) which means less opportunities to get that fix of starting an exciting new game for the first time, and I'm more judgmental about my purchases because I know from years of experience that I probably won't play the game I buy for more than a few days. But somehow I still keep buying new games hoping I'll capture that same weekend-long excitement I had the last time a game gripped me. Thinking about it in this context I really do feel like an addict who's anxiously awaiting my dealer Gamepass swinging by in 3 more days to sell me some Total Warhammer, and I know the high it gives me isn't going to be as high as the last Total Warhammer was.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 14, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

I lost interest in Horizon Zero Dawn after playing a few hours after the intro despite the endless glowing reviews it gets. Im still spending most of my leisure time gaming, but I stopped caring about finishing every game I touch. I just have different tastes than the prominent throng of reviewers these days.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Almost all games I play aren't good enough for me to finish once I master or even just understand their mechanics. I feel like I've seen the whole game in my mind already and I'm done. It's at this point that I probably think more about the game than actually play it, turn the mechanics or worpdbuilding or visuals over in my head.

I'm not even interested in a video of the ending, much less getting there myself. A jpeg is good enough, or nothing is fine too.

I read a lot more than I used to, and I generally won't play any game with too much story in it, because it will usually not measure up to the effort it takes to get through it. I usually do not care about a video game character's past, struggles, sexuality, or whatever, especially if it has nothing to do with the gameplay part of them being a mass murderer of faceless enemies. Games with heavy character stories remind me a lot of crappy 90's television, like the Xena or Hercules series or something. Earnest and dull plots and lifeless characters who just have amplified attributes to make up for their lack of depth. I don't care.

I do make exceptions, Tacoma and Technobabylon were both really enjoyable places to visit, and I played them all the way through. I also jump into Superhot more than I "should" to basically have the same experience over and over again.

The Mass Effect series would be my nightmare. It looks incredibly boring and lengthy.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Feb 15, 2022

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

like 90% of them lol

Persona 5 was supposed to be so great and I quit it when hours into the first dungeon my little cat friend cheerfully informed me that was only "about 50%" through it. gently caress off

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Feb 15, 2022

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Over time i realized that all the games that hold my interest are the story heavy ones, i guess they give me the same fix other people get from binging tv shows.

On the other hand, i almost immediately drop games that focus on the multiplayer or competitive side, or the emergent storytelling, with a few exceptions. Rocket League and City Skylines held me for months, but people have tried to get me into Dominions 5, Faster Than Light, Don't Starve Together and Dwarf Fortress and it didn't work.

I've long since stopped buying games unless i plan to play them immediately, and organized a list of games on my steam library i actually want to play one day. All of them are single player story games and most are RPGs.

Frionnel fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Feb 15, 2022

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I usually just play dota cuz it's more fun than all the other games op

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Subnautica is one game that is really fascinating and fun but the crafting aspect of it is tedious and going around with no direction sucks too. Death Stranding was ok but then I had to climb a mountain. Then it asked me to climb the mountain again. I think I'll eventually get to it but it's making me dread playing.

Eastward is another one that might be fun but I have so many better games to play.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
It really depends on my mood. Sometimes I can play a game for like 2-3 hours and put it away for a year+, then come back to it and put 100+ hours into it. Its what I'm doing right now with Kenshi.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
When I should be honest these days I am mostly interested in anything but the actual games: I do like to see how game mechanics evolve, the employers' situation and their hopefully growing agency, artwork for games, new tech, new concepts and such. But you can't force me to spend more than an hour or so on a difficult spot while playing. I should have turned to some other "hobby" years ago, but it is not easy when you already know so much about it and are so invested. Oh well.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
It’s probably just some form of ADHD with me because I constantly leave books and tv shows half read or watched as well. Starting new things is just way more interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Stories in games are totally lost on me, I just never seem to give a gently caress about whatever NPCs are waffling about.
I want to not be like that, and my Steam library is littered with games that I thought 'This time I will read everything and listen to everyone' and never did.
From Witcher 3 to Divinity Thing 2, I have tons of them and I do go in with good intentions, but glaze over and nope out after about an hour usually.
Like, yeah dude I'll collect bear asses for you, whatever :v: