Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Well, that sure was An Ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl
that... that was a thing.

You know, I can see the potential for an interesting story involving timeline nonsense in which you keep getting bad ends due to apparently Deus Ex Machina out of nowhere, and then eventuallly unlock a true path where it turns out that the 'good timeline' was causing those disasters all along by raiding the failed timelines for supplies and killing your other selves in order to create the self that lives, and then the game can ruminate for a while on the morality of this.

But for that to land it really needs to tie everything together. There's just too much else going on which doesn't really have anything to do with anything in the end. Most of the game just feels like a complete waste of time.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Thanks for sticking through with this to the end, and appreciate all your effort. And thanks for LPing the game in general as I was naturally a bit curious about it.
Yeah, at first I thought the meeting between 2 Jordans was cool but seems pretty awkward for Jordan #3 to pop up and give what I imagine must be a massive infodump speech about a lot of quantum stuff that I have difficulty wrapping my head around. I guess you could say it's some kind of meta commentary on the player being aware of all branches of the timelines but not really handled great.

And in the end we never did find out a lot about the rest of the main plot like the Deletion game and Dai and so on other than the "resource crisis" which seems like a poor reason to put everyone through a series of arbitrary death games with overtly sadistic methods of execution. To be fair I guess though, this game's more famous inspirations are not much better like Dangan Ronpa also had a pretty vague motivation behind the death games. But at least in that one it was a bit more forgivable with the whole presentation of the game being much more stylized/zany and over-the-top instead of trying to present itself as a hard sci-fi story.

Sybot
Nov 8, 2009
Thank you for the LP, it was an interesting game in concept if not execution.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

while im not opposed to doing another LP of a game I know is bad in the future I think my next one (aside from the one I still have goin on) is gonna be another one I like :v:

Bombyx
Dec 7, 2022
God, I'd forgotten all about how batshit insane the ending to this game was (and not the good or fun kind of batshit, wah). Thank you for LPing this! As much of a torturous time as it looked to be, your LPs of these sorts of games were what got me to bite the bullet and make an account here, so I appreciate all the dedication you put into these! o7

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

Mix. posted:

while im not opposed to doing another LP of a game I know is bad in the future I think my next one (aside from the one I still have goin on) is gonna be another one I like :v:

I'm currently wading into a game I believe will be mediocre and taking personal bets on whether it will eventually show up as one of your LPs (because we seem to have sufficiently-aligned tastes in picking up VNs that it's probably at least on your radar). Pretty sure it won't be your next one, anyway!

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

It was an educational experience, at least. I feel educated.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

gegi posted:

I'm currently wading into a game I believe will be mediocre and taking personal bets on whether it will eventually show up as one of your LPs (because we seem to have sufficiently-aligned tastes in picking up VNs that it's probably at least on your radar). Pretty sure it won't be your next one, anyway!

lmao honestly probably, i keep tabs on a lot of the people in this oevln scene both because i enjoy these kind of rough indie VNs but also i do actually have plans for something of my own someday, so its good learning seeing what other people do right/wrong

so there's a very real chance i either already own it or at least have it on my wishlist lmao

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

drat, it coulda been good... but here we are.

Thank you for the LP.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I'm so puzzled by this game. I accepted a lot of the gruesome, morbid, "ironic" deaths as acceptable because of the fact that they'd eventually be reversed by time traveling universe hopping shenanigans. Like that was the whole point, right?

But even in the "best" scenarios, one if not both of Melody's parents are dead, the Vogels' father is dead... etc. All that's happened is us being made to witness a bunch of horrible timelines where sure, DAI is gone now, but what was left behind. They still have to carry the horrible trauma of forced, senseless death and being made to play against each other for their lives, and how that will wreck their feelings towards AI.

It's very much like "the end, no moral". Yay, Jordan saved everyone, except for the part where a chunk of the crew is dead and the captain who's nice and your partner could have an unhinged copy of herself show up with a knife. In fact, you get to live with the knowledge that several people on the ship have the propensity to snap and kill someone if sufficiently provoked, or betray you to a horrible death. But at least there's an ending where you play nice and have a cute little colorswap child?

What a strange game. I want to admire what it set out to do, but it's difficult for me with how visibly the creators enjoyed the brutal deaths therein, to the point that the rest of the game feels like it was constructed after the fact as an excuse for it to exist. Like someone who was really into the custom tailored death aspect of the Saw movies... and the unnecessary gore.

Even the way DAI disappears, the horrible villain who is probably the most interesting part of the game with how she simultaneously has personhood and a desire to be loved and the moral quandaries of deleting her and AI, is extremely abrupt and without fanfare. It feels like the game just kind of had its second half deleted.

Thank you for LPing it! I have a strange fascination with mediocre to bad OELVNs and the ways in which they fail to accomplish their goals. I'm not sure I would have seen this one otherwise.

Flytitle
Nov 12, 2012
Thank you for this Hot Nonsense. I'd say I felt enriched by the experience, but that would be a lie. So many good concepts, so much weird execution.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for LPing this game. It wasn't a good game, but definitely one worth watching the car crash. There's clearly a good high-level concept going on here, I can absolutely see how the initial elevator pitch got attention and I reckon you could make a great game out of that!
...this just isn't that game. It spends 95% of the game noodling around a handful of thin romance stories with egregious fanservice and executions (sometimes even at the same time!, and then ends up in the final routes telling you what the game would have been if they'd written that.

It's a great object lesson in game design, both of how not to do it and spitballing what could have been changed to fix it. The quantum suicide/quantum immortality idea is a great combination with this branching narrative concept, but combining it with a dating sim makes the branches both too long for the branching narrative with bad ends and not long enough for satisfying romance plots (although the case could be made that it just doesn't do enough with the time it takes). On top of that, the nature of the whole finding-the-right-ending clashes with the idea of picking your favourite person to date. It's just trying to do too many things at once. But I don't think it's impossible to thread that needle, if the right writing and editing was done. You'd probably have to sacrifice the idea of having two different protagonists and cut the amount of work in half, but I don't think that'd actually be a significant loss, either in content or thematically.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The "good" female Jordan ending with Kimiko just feels like a giant WHY? on top of a lot of the rest of the mess.

In the end it's such a weird game and a huge waste of the central concept. This game is desperately trying to be 999 with romance shoved in and it fails utterly. I guess the art's decent?

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Cloacamazing! posted:

Thank you for playing this trainwreck so we didn't have to

:emptyquote:

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Mokinokaro posted:

The "good" female Jordan ending with Kimiko just feels like a giant WHY? on top of a lot of the rest of the mess.

In the end it's such a weird game and a huge waste of the central concept. This game is desperately trying to be 999 with romance shoved in and it fails utterly. I guess the art's decent?

And apparently the game wants you to just think "Isn't this wacky??" since the "The End" screen for that ending has "WHAT IS THIS NONSENSE??" written in tiny text on the bottom right.
That was part of the original game, right? Not something added by the LPer?
e: Plus "what is this nonsense" is also an odd thing to say when at that point I think it's guaranteed (?) you've already seen the scene that shows how psycho Kimiko came into being.

Item Getter fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Dec 25, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Item Getter posted:

That was part of the original game, right? Not something added by the LPer?

every 'the end' screen has some text like that. :shepface:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I... I never noticed...

Why the gently caress would you put text like that in your own game. Why would you call your own writing "nonsense" when, yeah, you should have seen the scene where Kimiko goes nuts already. It's just such a slap in the face.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
I think one of the subtle points they're trying to get across that fails to properly land due to the writing issues is that none of the timelines we see are a perfect "everyone lives" ending because if we had found that timeline it would have invalidated the 3rd Jordan's journey since he hasn't yet found it...

Also, calling it now: the reason why Male Jordan's true ending had so much resources in the end was because one timeline they raided was post-ending Female Jordan's timeline, and that's after Female Jordan got a rotten start due to Male Jordan having a few "quantum moments" head start.

ZCKaiser
Feb 13, 2014
You know, even as low as the bar has been set for the finale, I somehow did not expect it to be so lazy as to have someone warp in and literally both solve and explain the entire plot. Really, that's the core issue with this game; it's bad, but not in a way that's especially interesting. It's bad because it's copying tropes from better games and didn't have the time, budget, and/or skill to pull it off, so everything just comes off as kinda half-assed rather than a total dumpster fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyrfalcon2138
Jul 26, 2022
Finally caught up with the end of this - and drat. It really seems like scope was this game's main enemy (well, that and the whole situation between the Devs). Appreciate the effort dragging this one across the finish line!