Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

a red dot making aiming slower seem incredibly silly to me

glad to see more of this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
It makes sense to me, the add-on also puts a bit more weight on the gun.

Kirk being completely unhelpful because the pathing didn't make him run away in time feels unhelpful in a realistic sort of way? Like, I can totally buy someone just panicking and not exactly reacting well to the giant monster in their face.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Good to see this back! This LP was what got me into Cataclysm in the first place.

Keldulas posted:

Kirk being completely unhelpful because the pathing didn't make him run away in time feels unhelpful in a realistic sort of way? Like, I can totally buy someone just panicking and not exactly reacting well to the giant monster in their face.

Speaking in completely game-based, amoral terms, he was plenty helpful. He was a meatshield, which counts for a lot. Taking down a Jabberwock is really dangerous, especially this early in a playthrough. Kirk soaking its hits left plenty of room for Mellifera to gun it down. Taking it on solo, you either need a lot of armor, or...

... more gun.

Gwyneth Palpate fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2024

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Fun bit of drama created by the AI there, that was great.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?
I should stress that Kirk's underperformance was 100% my fault. The AI behaves in pretty deterministic ways and it's up to you to set up their behavior properly. I had Kirk on standing orders to stay within 4 tiles of Mel which made it hard for her to get distance from him so that he could act as ranged support.

They work a lot better as melee buddies, but that comes with its own risks. I plan on using the NPCs pretty heavily in this run, as I find they generate stories pretty well just by being around.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Oh, also, the latest video taught me that there is an "Unload Containers" button and that it is awesome. Knowing I can dump the contents of any containers in my reach towards one direction (say, into a shopping cart) has seriously improved looting places with a lot of stuff in containers, like medicine in bathrooms.

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013

worm girl posted:

I plan on using the NPCs pretty heavily in this run, as I find they generate stories pretty well just by being around.

I'll be interested to see more of NPCs being used by someone who has a better handle on them than I do. In my last run (that I was talking about on the previous page) where for once I tried actually using NPCs, I found the interface (where it concerns NPCs) to be too much of a pain for it to be worthwhile. Maybe if the faction camp system and whatnot is developed further so that it's more useful and easier to work with?

Or maybe I'm just not familiar enough with it - so yeah, I'll be interested to see more of that.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 16 - Nestor

This one took me a minute because I had to draw a new portrait.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
But if you go to the refugee centre you'll have to leave behind your beautiful goblin cave :smith:

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
Simple, find a big rig and fix it up into a mobile goblin cave!

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

proactively taking out the portal storm was rad

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

biosterous posted:

proactively taking out the portal storm was rad

I'm not entirely sure that's what happened - Is that what happened?

EDIT: Spoiler removed

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

RabidWeasel posted:

Yeah, small pistol rounds are really not useful long term so you should use them liberally.

As a plus it's fun to shoot up a load of zombies especially now that it's not so easy to get to a point where you can safely melee down early game threats

There was a balance pass on smgs a while back and now a lot of them do more damage than pistols, using the same ammo. 9mm continues to be useful into the late game because the mp5 just goes so hard. +P+ does 30 damage with 4 ap, and the gun gives +1 damage on top of that, for a base of 31. That's only a few points behind 5.56, and while the range is worse, the MP5 is a lot easier to carry around and whip out in a hurry.

You can handload +P+ as well and it only loses 3 base damage. If you have good perception and some gun mods, you'll more than make that up in crit damage, and the recoil's nowhere near as bad as an M4. Weakpoints mean you aren't completely shut down by bone and kevlar boys either.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

worm girl posted:

There was a balance pass on smgs a while back and now a lot of them do more damage than pistols, using the same ammo. 9mm continues to be useful into the late game because the mp5 just goes so hard. +P+ does 30 damage with 4 ap, and the gun gives +1 damage on top of that, for a base of 31. That's only a few points behind 5.56, and while the range is worse, the MP5 is a lot easier to carry around and whip out in a hurry.

You can handload +P+ as well and it only loses 3 base damage. If you have good perception and some gun mods, you'll more than make that up in crit damage, and the recoil's nowhere near as bad as an M4. Weakpoints mean you aren't completely shut down by bone and kevlar boys either.

I thought some of the SMG buffs got reverted (maybe it was just discussed but it was decided that it didn't need changing?) but they have got much better recently, I've not actually tried going full bullet hose because it used to not be terribly effective but it might work now

biosterous
Feb 23, 2013

Inglonias posted:

I'm not entirely sure that's what happened - Is that what happened?

EDIT: Spoiler removed

i don't know the mechanics at all but it felt like that's what happened so imo narratively that's what happened

Antistar01
Oct 20, 2013
Yeah, I was about to ask if shooting the "absence" was what caused the portal storm to dissipate in this case. When I was playing the game recently and I got a portal storm, it didn't occur to me to attack the various "things" that appear in them.

There's some spooky effects in portal storms, but I'm not sure how dangerous the storms are, if at all?

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

biosterous posted:

i don't know the mechanics at all but it felt like that's what happened so imo narratively that's what happened

It's not! The portal storm actually ended based on its duration running out right before I found the absence. I was looking for a specific thing to trigger, but didn't find it before the timer ended.

Still, shooting the absence was cooler, and Mel isn't smart enough to know the difference, so we went with the emergent storytelling.

RabidWeasel posted:

I thought some of the SMG buffs got reverted (maybe it was just discussed but it was decided that it didn't need changing?) but they have got much better recently, I've not actually tried going full bullet hose because it used to not be terribly effective but it might work now

I'm not sure if I can recommend autofire in most situations unless you're facing a high-HP low-armor target, but they're really good in single fire mode.

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

Yeah, automatic weapons in this game are really only effective at point blank range as a panic weapon. If you're firing on full auto in this game, something has gone wrong. Bullets are precious. Even if you stockpile them, you can only carry so many magazines with you at once, and reloading an entire magazine with bullets during a fight is going to get you killed.

This may change if your character has a high skill with the relevant weapon. I don't typically live long enough for that to matter.

worm girl
Feb 12, 2022

Can you hear it too?

Episode 17: Roadtrip

Alternative title: The Gang Gets Political

VideoWitch
Oct 9, 2012

Well the hot wiring definitely could have gone better

Also excellent choice in driving music

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH
I like that Mel brought in the mattresses for her companions but still chooses to sleep in an arm chair in front of the fire. It's simultaneously very punk and extremely dad.