Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

if a nuclear powered submarine has an accident, everyone drowns and the whole thing gets classified. if a nuclear power plant has an accident, climate change mitigations get pushed back another few metres of sea level rise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i grew up near watts bar, which took 23 years to finish and activate unit 1 and 43 years to do the same for unit 2. watts bar 2 was the only “new” commercial reactor in the us to be turned on in the 21st century so far until votgle 3 was turned on a couple of weeks ago.

lmao

horse_ebookmarklet
Oct 6, 2003

can I play too?
MononcQc but where does erlang fit into solving this
I just ordered normal accidents, this is very much up my alley, thank you for posting it.
At dayjob we are deploying a thing (non nuclear) where our system safety relies on an incredibly complex set of automated decision making from tons of different sensors, all happening in non-human timescales in life or death situations. I need the Feynman quote on a poster, and a drink.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

At dayjob we are deploying a thing (non nuclear)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xfBw1bbV4k

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

rotor posted:

i think a big part of it is that they dont have to buy insurance.

a bigger difference is probably that naval reactors are bought and paid for up front, whereas power plants get financed and the interest continues accruing throughout the construction process

I remember years ago in another thread someone posted a “nuclear power plant cost calculator” and playing around with it it became quickly obvious that the single biggest factor in final cost was the interest rate on the financing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
guess you shoulda started your nuke plants last year then