Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Yes but after Vinland it goes to a couple dozen years or so. The Chief even stated it in the wormholes.

Edit: i misunderstood the sentence. What are words? What is meaning? What?

My Face When fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hi, just giving a quick update. I have a third of the post complete but am going through a 'struggle' week. Bi polar and depression dont mix.

In the mean time, since we are going through the dark ages, please enjoy some extra credit videos.

The infographics show on living in the dark ages
Crash Course on The Dark Ages
Puppet History on The Black Death

One of my favorite Adam Driver snl skits

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

This might be my most favorite snl skit ever.

I lost it when bowen yang showed up.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
That is quite the potent combo. Take care of yourself

benjoyce
Aug 3, 2007
Swashbuckler from Meleé island
As a curator and shepherd of nerdcore hip-hop, I feel it to be my utmost duty to inform/remind everyone that Carmen Sandiego has inspired MC Lars to create this gem of a track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZlsZsIf4J0

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Welcome back Gumshoes. Last time we took a quiet trip to Heian era Japan, helped Murasaki retrieve her Genji manuscript, and nabbed Medeva in the process. We're doing a great job so let's get back in the wormhole!

(VIDEO)

What happens if an ACME agent has motion sickness and pukes in the wormhole? Does it swirl with the void or does the puke go back in a certain time?

: We're whizzing down the year to feudal England in the 9th century. By now, William the Conqueror should be done conquering and on his way to kinghood. But William's worried and something's amiss. See what you can find out.

Only if I get a weapon this time. :black101:

: Polly Tix will be coming along as your Good Guide. If anyone can figure out the problems of an ancient political system, she's the one.

I love your faith in teenagers, Chief. Wait, aside from Rock and possibly Renee, are all our Good Guides teenagers?

: Good luck, Time Scout and...don't swim in any moats.

Thanks for the advice Chief. Last thing I need is a flesh-eating amoeba situation.

Polly does the shimmy slide into a GOD drat SIEGE! Holy hell!

: Hey, you two! Watch your heads -- there's a siege going on!

: A siege? That explains all the soldiers outside! We'll help you withstand this siege, King William!

This is Polly Tix. I think the best description I can give for her is Tank Girl vocally but more subdued. She's incredibly 90's that it hurts, using a lot of catchphrases that invoke a bit of cringe. If I put Ivan and Polly together for a 90's off, you'll get nostalgic for the treats. I'm a Ring Pop girl myself. Speaking of Polly, let's ask her a question right off the bat! Hey there, Polly!

: Hey there, Scout.

Silly question, I know, but what should we do?

: Let's talk the talk with King William and figure out how we can help him.

Of course, before we do that, we can get our lovely flavor text out of the way and its pretty battle heavy! Hey, King William, what's with the boiling water? You cooking potatoes?

: That pot is full of boiling water, which we pour down on enemies trying to climb the walls. It them boiling mad. Behold!

:stare:

: Hey! Quit it! That was my best siege uniform!

Uh...well...I don't think that's...hm...all right. Can you add any more insight about the cauldron, Wet Willy?

: In place of water, we sometimes use molten metal or boiling oil, which stick to the enemy's skin.

: Sticks to the skin? Ugh.

Uh....:stare:. Right. Well, let's move onto the archers. Erm...archer? What do you have to say William?

: My archers shoot arrows through the crenels -- those gaps in the parapet wall. They try to prick their Saxon targets without getting nicked in return!

Oh, well it seems your lone archer is having some issues, Will. What about the courtyard below?

: Don't fall in! That is the courtyard down below us, where we store supplies during a long siege.

Oh! Any...extra swords down there? No? Fine. Polly, you got anything to say about that really big butt plug in the distance?

: That giantific device is a battering ram. It knocks down castle gates or walls, so the foot soldiers can run in through the hole, called a breach.

My dark mind is getting the better of me. Quick Will, tell me about the gigantic spoon hurling things at us!

: That mangonel hurls huge boulders up and over the walls. It can even fling dead animals, which spread disease inside the castle.

: Grossola!

It's also one of many reasons why I hate Nilfgaardian decks in Gwent. Many....many reasons. Let's move on to those wooden panels the Saxons are standing behind!

: Those pesky Saxon archers use wooden shields to hide behind, and only peepout when they're firing a volley of arrows. The cowards!

If my Gwent knowledge is useful in this section, I believe the term is mantlet. :eng101: Hey Polly! What about the big ol' crossbow looking thing in the back?

: That machine is a ballista -- a giant crossbow that shoots major spears. Even flaming spears!

: Yes, ballista spears are often covered in a flaming goo called Greek Fire. Quite awful stuff! Its formula is a big secret.

I tried to see if Google actually had the formula for Greek Fire and the recipe is still debated. With all of that out of the way, let's speak to King William. King William, hello!

: Hail, friends! At least, I hope you are friends. Those Saxons always seem to be knocking at my gates!

Well, I've been denied many weapons so it's safe to say you are safe from us, King William. As with every first conversation in this game, tried and true, who are you?

: I am William the Conqueror, Duke of Normandy and also King of England, although those Saxons seem to disagree with that last part.

Yes, they do seem to have an issue with it, King Willy. Why do they call you William the "Conqueror"?

: Although I am from Normandy, I had a legitimate claim to the English throne, so I invaded in 1066. I conquered my rival, Harold, at the Battle of Hastings.

If the sources are true, Harold had quite an eyeful. Hehe. Um...right. What have you done since then?

: As king, I created a feudal society, where peasants work for lords, lords work for barons, and barons work for me! It's good to be the king.

I guess that could be the case, at least for you, Willy. Let's move onto current matters. What is the problem here?

: Oh, the Saxons are revolting. Again. Someone stole my Domesday book and the Saxons, taking it as a sign of weakness, have decided to try and overthrow my castle with a siege!

That doesn't sound fun. What is the Domesday book?

: The Domesday Book is a record of all the people and property in England, from the lowliest serf to the highest noble. It really helps me keep tabs one everyone.

That sounds...invasive. So, why are the Saxons revolting?

: Perhaps they need a bath? But seriously, the Saxons are not happy having a foreign king like me. I burned much of the north country to the ground once, but will they let bygones be bygones? NoOoOoOoOo.

: Y'know, historical figures aren't always angels, but our ACME job is to put history back on track! If William doesn't remain king, all of English history might change!

I mean, I just understand WHY the Saxons would be a little pissed, Polly. With the battle going on, we should ask, how is the siege battle going?

: This stone castle I recently built is strong enough to withstand any Saxon attack. But with this siege going on outside, I'm having trouble bringing in fresh supplies.

I get the sense our mission is on the horizon. Can we help you get supplies?

: Ah, a noble offer! I happen to have a secret passage out of this castle. Squeeze through and go find my barons and lords. Tell them my soldiers need some bread!

Get food for the hungry soldiers. Got it.

With that, there's a big hole for us to walk in. Of course, we can always ask Polly questions. Hey Polly!

: What's on your mind?

Here's Polly's thinking stance. I knew I forgot Renee's last time so I'll show that off in later posts. Let's ask Polly some questions. Polly, What's our goal?

: King William needs some bread! Let's check for some at the baron's castle.

Okay but where can we find bread for the king?

: We'll have to bring in some bread from outside the castle. That secret passage will help us sneak past the Saxon siege!

Sounds good! Hey, what's that paper in the doorway of the secret passage?

: It's a Carmen Note! Our thief must have slipped through this secret passage!

...this sparks many questions from me. Did our thief speak to the Saxons to plan the siege? The Saxons attacked because they found out the Domesday Book was stolen, right? So many...implications. Right, well. Let's head for the Baron's!

: Au revoir! Hurry back!

Don't fall in a moat, Wet Willy!

Welcome to the Baron's castle. There isn't much to do here yet so let's just cover our bases by reading some flavor text. That's a cute little shield above the Baron. Do you have anything to say, Polly?

: That looks like an early version of the medieval "coat of arms" -- where colorful family emblems were painted on war shields.

This reminds me of my Canterbury Tales project in high school where I had to make my own coat of arms. It's not small and I can use it as a weapon, if I need to. It's also a terrible olive green. Hey Polly, tell me about the wall behind the Baron.

: In 11th century England, castles had to be built fast -- so they were usually made of wood, instead of heavy stone. A wood castle could be finished in just three weeks!

Sounds efficient, but might burn up after some serious Greek fire. Baron, that's a cute dog next to you. What's their name?

: That's Lacey, my hunting dog -- Just part of the pack I take on my afternoon hunts. I do the catching, she does the fetching!

I hope Lacey doesn't laugh when you miss. Baron, can you tell me about the castle outside?

: That is a motte-and-bailey castle out there. My men dig a deep moat, piling the dirt up inside to make a tall hill. Then we build a wooden castle on the hill. Viola! Two defenses for the price of one!

That's cool. Let's speak with Polly. Hey Polly!

: Hey there, Scout!

I don't see any bread here. Now what?

: Well, let's ask the baron if he has somebody who can help us.

Oh right, that might be a thing to do. Let's talk to the Baron. Hello, Baron!

: Hello! Welcome to my castle!

Thanks Baron! May we ask your name?

: Certainly. I am Baron DuPont, a peer without peer! I am also the ruler of this castle.

Sounds interesting. How did you become a baron?

: Through talent and wisdom, of course! Oh, and it helped that I supported William the Conqueror when he invaded England. William gave most of the baronships to other French Normans like myself.

That sounds...a little shady, but okay. How do you like being a baron?

: Oh, it can be quite tiresome. These Saxons don't like having a foreign baron ruling them. To prevent them from rebelling, I must keep them very busy.

Oh...OH....ohhhhh. :stare: Uhm...so...how do you keep your subjects busy?

: I make sure they're always doing their specific jobs. Knowing their last names helps a lot.

That also sounds like a specific hint. Let's keep that in mind. Baron, can you help us?

: Help you? But I am a nobleman! It is very uncommon for me to help commoners.

Rude. Did we mention we're on a errand for the King?

: For the king? Why didn't you say so? In that case, helping you would be my crowning glory! What can I do to help?

That was a little too easy, but uh...can you give us bread for the king?

: I know little of petty activities like making bread! Here is a list of my subjects. Perhaps one of them can help you.

So as you recall, the last names are a big part of getting what we need for the king. Of course, that would be way too simple for this game. Let's pretend we're not smart and pick Mary Meader.

I want to know what these Normans are eating to have Flash-level speed.

: Hello my baron. May I be of service?

: Can you make bread for the king's noble troops?

: Sorry, I'm better at crocheting than cooking. Blankets are my specialty.

: Well, thank you anyway. Good day.

If you get any of the others, they'll tell what they really do. Of course, we're really smart (and good looking). So let's pick the right one, the Baker.

: Salutations dear Baron! May I help you?

: King William needs bread for his troops. Can you help?

: I would love to bake you some bread, but I am flour-less, and thus powerless. Do you have any flour?

: Hmm, no flour? Well, check with the lord down the road. As I am a baron, and he is only a lord, the feudal system requires that he help me out.

This just sounds like a medieval office of upper and lower management! Polly!

: What's on your mind?

How can we help the Baker?

: We need to find some flour for the baker. Fast!

Okay, but where can we find some flour for the baker?

: I believe the baron suggested we try Lord Maynard's place. It's worth a look.

Oh right. Let's head for the Lord's and get that flour.

: We're off to the Lord!

I love youuuuu Jesussssss Chrissssssstttttt

This is the Lord's estate and if you take anything from this level, anything at all...

Look at this guy. Look at it. Even as an adult it still makes me giggle. It's the face, the bulging eyes, the weird off color where it's hard to tell if it's the stocks or a beard. It's amazing.

Anyway, let's get the flavor text out of the way. Hey Baron, can you tell me about the farmhouses in the area?

: I charge my peasants the going rent for a fine farmhouse: half their crops!

I mean, half? Are you really going to need that...alright alright. Baron, what's with the guy in the stockades?

: That peasant is being punished for stealing a chicken. He must spend one full day locked in the stockades, while people toss rotten vegetables at him.

: Bummer. Must be humiliating! Especially if they use broccoli. Yeech!

What if our friend here was a hero named Chicken Chaser. You ever think of that, Baron? Anyway, check out that windmill!

: Neat windmill! What's it for?

: Oh, my peasants use it to raise water, grind grains -- the usual farmy things.

Farmy...things. You're definitely not hands on are you, Lord? Let's go ahead and see if he can help us get that flour. Hail, Lorde!

Wrong Lorde.

I SAID, WRONG LORDE

: Welcome to my estate, travelers.

Thanks for not killing us because of our clothes. Anyway, tried and true, who are you?

: Of course, I've forgotten my manners! I am Lord Maynard. I report to Baron DuPont.

So yes, this is the guy we need to speak to. Good. Let's ask some stupid questions. Is Baron DuPont the baron up the road?

: Exactly. The baron owns this estate and several others, but I live here and run it for him. He gives orders to me, and I pass the orders on to my peasants. It's the feudal way, you know.

I think you mean...futile...hurr hurr. How do you run your estate?

: Oh, the usual things: I dispense justice, I listen to peasants complain about taxes -- that sort of nonsense. A nobleman's work is never done.

The way you're so nonchalant about hearing the people's complaints is problematic Lordy boy. Is all the land here yours?

: Well, not really. Most of this land was lent to me by Baron DuPont. In turn, I lend some of the land to peasants, who work the soil. The French would call these peasants "villeins".

:stare: Why do you lend land to the peasants?

: Well, it works like this. I lend some land to the villeins, and they, in exchange, give me part of the food they harvest from this land. Such are the ways of the feudal system!

I don't think this feudal system is very...good, Lordy Boy. I wonder if our VILE villain is just trying to rise the workers. Whatever, let's just move on to our next questions. The Baron needs flour. Can you help?

:: The baron needs flour? Well, I'm happy to help, of course. In fact, it is my feudal duty.

Right, right. Well...can you give us some flour?

: Well I do not have any flour on me, at the moment. But one of my peasants may be able to help. Just point one out.

Here's the last names. Also, look how high the Lord looks here. Anyway, just like last time, let's pick the wrong one first. I'll choose Sabrina Cartwright.

: How d'you do m'lord. May I help you?

: We need to bake bread for the baron. Can you get us some flour?

: Sorry, sir, I can't make flour, but I could build you a wagon to carry it in.

: Oh, well, it was worth a try. That will be all.

All right. Let's try again. My lord?

: Greetings once again travelers.

Can you call another peasant?

: But of course! It is such a peasant experience.

Ugh. Okay. Since we're actually super smart, let's pick the correct answer: John Miller!

: Lordy lord, good day! What can I do for you?

: We need to bake bread for the baron. Can you get us some flour?

: Yes I can make some flour for you! I am a miller, after all!

After some working noises...

: Here it is! Fresh-milled flour for the baron's bread! All yours!

Giving the flour bag a quick click gives you...

: Fantabulous! We can get quite a rise out of this flour the miller made!

Just drag and drop into the inventory and now we have the flour. Yay. We can head back to the Baron.

: All righty then, let's head back to Baron DuPont.

Everything is just as it was. Giving Baker a quick click gives you this flavor text:

: We need to finagle some flour for that baker.

Luckily for us, we have it. So drag it and give it to the baker!

: Ah, this flour is perfect! I'll see what I can bake up. Hold on!

More working sounds...then...

: Voila! My best bread -- for the king's best men!

Bob Baker runs off with his flash speed and we can pick up the bread, but first let's click it.

: That bread looks scrumptious. We'd better take it to the king before I eat it!

So let's drag it into our inventory and let's ask Polly a quick question. Mr. Baker cooked us some bread. What now?

: Let's get that break back to the king, fastola!

Then let's go!

: All right, let's sneak past the siege and back into William's castle.

Doesn't look like much has changed. Let's drag the bread to Wet Willy and...

: Mmm, fresh bread! My hungry troops and I thank you! And now, my next task: we need more weapons! Could stop by the baron's place and see if he has any swords?

: Absotively! Happy to help, your Kingship!

...-sigh-. Welcome to my least favorite of the early levels. Let's stop here and we'll continue trudging into Backtrack hell next time. Thanks for your patience!

My Face When fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Mar 30, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Medieval times, check! Sorry to hear we probably won't be doing prehistoria, although I do wonder what Carmen would steal there.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

achtungnight posted:

Medieval times, check! Sorry to hear we probably won't be doing prehistoria, although I do wonder what Carmen would steal there.

I like to think Carmen has dinosaur bones in her personal collection. Maybe the first wheel.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
I remember this level. I thought the tone that William used when talking about the Saxons revolting again was hilarious. That little pause there...amazing. I also remember having some trouble on one of the later puzzles here. I'll mention which one once it pops up, but it had me stumped for a while the first time I played.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I thought the thief stole the Doomsday Book at first, which makes me ask even more questions about King Bill

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Fun fact: The term 'Domesday Book' was the medieval spelling of 'Doomsday Book'. The book was so called because its records were intended to be utterly comprehensive, final, and also not open to appeal - leading some folks to characterize it as though it was the Last Judgement from the Bible.

The name stuck.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Right. A Dome (doom) is old English for law or judgement. So the Domesday Book is the book of judgements that recorded all the legal stuff like land ownership and fealty in England.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hello! So, I've had a very chaotic week so I haven't been able to proceed with part 2. I should be able to get started this weekend. My apologies for the wait.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Welcome back, gumshoes. Thanks for being patient and I hope you all had a good Easter. Last time, we met William the Conqueror and learned about the feudal society and helped Wet Willy get some bread for his lone Archer. We're about to go through some serious back tracking, so let's get it done!

We can ask Polly what to do next. Hey Polly!

: Yes?

What's our goal?

: King William needs swords. We need to find him some!

Did anyone ever think about my need for swords? I just want ONE weapon. One! Anyway, with that out of the way, let's head big for Baron Harkkonen...I mean DuPont.

: Au revoir! Hurry back!

Adios, presidente or what have you.

We're back at Baron DuPont and we'll need to do what we did before. So let's click on him.

: Salutations once again

Salutations Baron. Baron, my man, the king needs some swords. Can you help?

: One of my subjects might give you the edge you need. With whom do you care to speak?

Here is the list again, it does not change through the level. We'll do what we did with the last one and pick the wrong one first, just to show off what we can. Let's go with the Fletcher.

: Good day to you all. What is the baron's bidding?

: King William is calling for more swords. Can you make them?

: Oh, dear, heavy swords are not my specialty. I make my point with a flightier weapon.

: That will be all. You may go.

Let keep her in our back pocket for now and get the actual answer, the Smith.

: How d'you do Mr. B? What do you need?

: The king needs more swords. Can you forge them?

: Oh, I'd dearly love to forge some swords. But the water barrel I use to cool my red-hot metals has sprung a leak. If you can find me a new barrel, I can forge ahead.

: You need a barrel? I believe the lord next door can roll one out for you.

Of course, we can ask Polly for help. How can we help the Smith?

: That smith needs a new barrel of cool water before he can make swords. Maybe Lord Maynard can help.

"Can you bring me back a sward?"

With that out of the way, let's check in with King Wet Willy before we head to the Lord!

At least he asked nicely, I guess. Let's move on to Lord Maynard and get a new barrel.

The Baron's smith needs a water barrel. Do you have one?

: Ah, no, you've got me over a barrel on that one. Let's check with one of my peasants.

Here's the list of people we can call on again. So, this answer may throw you off, if you don't know what you're looking for. Context clues would say that since the cartwright makes wooden wagons, they would be more useful in making wooden barrels, right?

: How d'you do m'lord. May I help you?

: We must get a barrel for the baron. Can you be of assistance?

: Oh, barrels aren't my business, I'm afraid. I'm more of a horse and buggy lass, myself.

: Thank you anyway. Now begone!

So, let's think a moment and go through the last names. We know it's not Cartwright or the Miller because we used them before. Let's change Taylor's name to what we know as the Tailor. Then, there's the Hunter and the Fisher which won't be able to help us. So, the last one left is the Cooper!

: Hello good lord. May I be of service?

: We must get a barrel for the baron. Can you be of assistance?

: A barrel? I'm happy to make you a barrel. Back in a flash!

He runs off like the flash and returns with...

A good-looking barrel!

: Ta-da! The finest barrel a baron could ask for. It won't leak a drop!

The Cooper runs off screen and we can click the barrel before moving it into the inventory. Polly will say--

: That super cooper gave us this barrel.

We'll move it to our inventory and then head back for the not-so-Bloody Baron.

The Smith here is waiting patiently for us. Let's pass along the barrel so he can get to work!

: Ah, now that's a fine watertight barrel. I'll fill it with water and make some swords in no time!

Once more, the smith runs away like the flash and after some working noises he returns with....

Wait, wrong game...

SWORDS!

: There you go. The finest swords in England. A real cut above the ordinary.

The Smith runs off and we have a big pile of swords to put in our inventory. Clicking on the swords, Polly will make a comment.

: Keep a sharp eye on those sharp swords! Let's take them to the king.

With that, we put them in our inventory and head back to King Wet Willy.

And Wet Willy's battle is still going through a stalemate. Let's help him out by passing over our fresh swords.

: Ah, these swords will give me the edge over those Saxons! But now my archers are all out of arrows. This is your final task -- check with my baron and see if he has any arrows to spare!

: Sheesh, King William's got us pulling a lot of strings!

Don't you mean your lone archer, Wet Willy? Regardless, let's finish this off and do this cycle one last time. Before we do, we can ask Polly for help once more. Hey Polly!

: Hey there, Scout!

What should we do now?

: The king needs more arrows to stop the siege. Let's find him some.

Groovy! With that out of the way, let's go to the Red Baron Pizza.

Back at the Baron's again, nothing has changed. So quaint and quiet for there being a siege on the over side of the hill there. Hello Baron!

: Salutations once again.

The King needs arrows. Can you help?

: One of my servants can surely help. Which one should I call?

The Last Names for the last time. Let's say since the arrows are made from wood, we clearly need a carpenter, right?

: Good day your baronship. How can I help?

: William's men need a new bath of arrows. Can you help?

: Arrows? What's the point? That's not the kind of wood I work with.

: Well, thank you anyway. Good day.

So, carpenter wasn't the correct answer. Again, if you've played Skyrim in the past decade or so, you may know the proper answer. If you don't, a fletcher is someone that deals in Archery which is exactly what we need.

: Good day to you all. What is the baron's bidding?

: William's men need a new batch of arrows. Can you help?

: Sorry, I'd make you the straightest arrows in England, but I'm a little light on feathers right now. Do you happen to have any?

: No feathers for the arrows? You might be able to pluck some from the lord down the road. By Feudal law, he is obligated to help me.

Don't remind me, Baron. Hey Polly!

How can we help the fletcher?

: We'll need to find someone at Lord Maynard's estate who has access to feathers.

Perfect. Let's talk to King Wet Willy first.

That archer is still going strong. Let's head for Lord Maynard.

: Greetings once again travelers.

Looks like you're getting ready for 4/20, Maynard. The fletcher needs feathers. Do you have any?

: I'm a lord, not a lark! But one of my subjects might be able to help. Who should I call?

So we know the fletcher needs feathers. Since we've seen enough of the wrong answers, let's go ahead and move onto the correct answer, the hunter. I admit the backtracking is getting to me and I think you get the gist of it now.

: Hello lord. How can I help?

: My friend the baron requires some fine feathers. Do you have any?

: Feathers? Certainly! I'll use my hunting falcon to bring down some birds for you. Won't be but a moment!

After some chicken being plucked sounds, the Hunter returns with...

some big ol' feathers! They must have been some big chickens.

: I'm back, and I bagged quite a few birds! I hope the feathers help!

With that she leaves, just as fast as she came in. Hey, do you notice something in those feathers? Let's click it!

: Hey. There's something stuck in these feathers. Let's grab it!

...I just said that Polly. Anyway, I think...that's another Carmen note!

: Superific! You scored a shred of the Carmen Note!

Banner. Is his name Bruce and he's green when he's angry? Anyway, let's see if there's anything else Polly says about the feathers before putting it in our inventory.

: These feathers were plucked from the wild birds that the hunter caught.

And with that, we put those big bird feathers in the inventory and head back to the Baron.

I'm wondering what the Baron and his subjects talked about while we do their dirty work for them. Anyway, let's pass these feathers to the fletcher.

: Well, look at all these feathers, just what a fletcher needs! They'll make my arrows fly straight and true!

After some leaving and some work noises, the fletcher returns with...

A quiver of arrows!

: Here you are! These are some of my finest arrows!

And she zips away! Let's see if Polly has anything to say about the quiver now.

: Bulls-eye! Those are arrows!

And with that, our final task for Wet Willy is complete. We can bid the Baron and Lord farewell! FINALLY!

Wet Willy is being a wet noodle and the archer is still doing his best to stay alive. Let's help him out by giving Willy these arrows!

: Aha! Once I pass out these fine arrows, my men will easily repulse the Saxon siege! Victory is certain! How about joining me in a celebration feast?

: Well, I'm not sure, your Kingness.

Nothing like a royal bloodbath to get your hunger going.

: Come on! You can do a jig with my dancing bear.

:stare: Dancing bear, you say?

: A dancing bear? Fantabulous! Count us in!

With that, we cut to the next scene, and I will show the gif of this, but I want to show off this frame.

There's so much going on in this picture. The wagging tail of the dog. The food taster leaning in. The guy with the bread has decapitated Polly with his bowl. The soup guy and the guy with the turkey leg and his Garfield-esque look. Incredible.

: William was right -- the arrows we brought did the trick, and the siege is over! It's time to celebrate at this wild Norman dinner party.

: Yes! Eat, eat!! We Normans specialize in fine feasts!

With a new area comes new questions and flavor text. Let's talk to Polly really quick. Hey Polly!

What's next? Should we start eating? I am a bit famished from all that back tracking...

: No can do, Scout, we're on the job! And we haven't found all of the Carmen Note yet!

Damnit. All right. I guess we'll start hunting for that note. Polly, do you have anything to say about the guy eating the Turkey Leg?

: No vegetarians here. Upper class Normans thought vegetables were fit only for peasants, so they didn't eat many. That excuse never worked with my mother!

How the times have changed. What about the fella slurping his soup?

: Sometimes, instead of bowls, the Normans ate soup using tough bread called trenchers, that could soak up the grease. I don't suppose they used napkins either.

I think I had something similar at McCalister's deli. What about the guy with the bread and the knife, Polly?

: In Feudal England the fork wasn't invented yet. So folks ate their meat with their hands, or from the tips of their sharp knives.

See Mom? I can eat my foods like a heathen! Hey Willy, cute dog!

: Dogs often roam the banquet halls sniffing out table scraps. Their thick fur can make for a handy napkin, you know.

I mean, I guess that's efficient. Nasty, but efficient. What about the blonde man at the end of the table, Willy?

: Only my most honored or powerful guests are permitted to sit with me here at the head table. I like to give them a heady dining experience.

I hope that's the lone archer you're giving the VIP treatment, Willy. What about the big guy beside you?

: That loyal fellow is my royal taster. He tries a bit of all my food before I eat, to make sure nothing is poisoned! Tasters are easy to find -- but hard to keep.

Gee, I wonder why. Do you have anything to say in general, King Wet Willy?

: Oh that siege has wearied my bones. I'm much too tired to talk.

...you just...okay whatever.

: No wonder. When he's not battling, William the First must juggle being King of England, and Ruler of Normandy in France, both at the same time!

Well, no wonder they call him the Conqueror then. Hey Willy, what do you have to say about the bear?

: We Normans use live bears for entertainment. I love it when they stand on their hind legs to dance.

: Hmm, that poor bear looks all jigged out.

That bear certainly looks grumpy. Hey Polly, what do you have to say about the tapestry?

: This is the Bayeux Tapestry, created a few years back in 1077. Tapestries like this often told stories using pictures. In a way it means the writing's on the wall!

Interesting. Also, I'm obligated to put this video here. Hey, there's a piece of paper in front of that cute dog. I wonder if it's...

: Superific! The final mote of the Carmen Note!

Banner, Fabric of the story about William winning England? I think we know what the answer is.

: Hold on, I'm activating the Time Cuffs.

With the Time Cuffs ready to go, let's check out the Chronopedia.

With all that information, our answer on the front page and the Animaniacs helping us out, I think we know where our thief is. Let's move these cuffs to the Bayeux Tapestry.

: Good thinking! The Bayeux tapestry is the story banner telling how King William conquered England!

(VIDEO)

: We've slapped the cuffs on that wily warmonger -- General Mayhem!

We're back in the Wormhole and I just realized I haven't made a goatse joke.

: No more warmongering for you, General Mayhem. You're headed back to ACME!

: IIIIII'll just have to plot a whole newwwww campaign while stationed in slammer.

Why does General Mayhem have a weird SoCal surfer accent there? Regardless, we nabbed us another caper. Good job Gumshoes!

Our queen--I mean, the Chief is here to talk to us. Let's see what she has to say.

: Congratulations! You clapped the cuffs on General Mayhem and put that big ol' Domesday Book back on the shelf. Ol' King William is the happy conqueror. And thanks to you, England's noble traditions will survive the centuries.

Despite it being incredibly tedious, I feel pretty good about our work so far, don't you?

: I've decided to promote you. Consider yourself a time trooper. Congratulations!

:toot:

: If you like, we could troop on ahead where another case is waiting. What do you say?

Honestly Chief, I think I want to go check out Karl Marx's Das Kapital and have a nice hot cup of tea after dealing with Royals.

: Okay then, take a break. Great work so far. Come back soon.

Oh we will. But first, I hear my teapot whistling. Let me make a nice cup and gather my notes.

---

Whew! As you can tell, this is my least favorite of the levels so far. You repeat the same three static areas three times and despite some great art and voice work, this was just a slog to go through. Compound that with my chaotic month, making these posts were a little more difficult because how dull it felt. Luckily, I think we'll have a bit more interesting set pieces in the future. Despite the lackluster level, I appreciate the puzzles and their connections to last names, the occupations of feudal society, and my first introduction to siege weapons (The trebuchet is clearly the best).

We have quite a few videos to get through so let's get started.

---

Recommended Videos:
*Starred Links are my favorite.

TED-Ed on The Normans in general (5Mins)
The People Profiles on William the Conqueror (46Mins)
Biographics on William the Conqueror (20Mins)*
Look Back History on the Norman Conquest (7Mins)
Captivating History Explains the Norman Conquest (10Mins)*
Oversimplifed on the Battle of Hastings and its effects (13Mins)*
Chronicle/Dan Snow and the 1066 Conquest (28Mins)*
Chronicle/Dan Snow and the Normans after 1066 (28Mins)*
Chronicle/Dan Snow and the Normans rebuilding England (28Mins)*
Fire of Learning on the history of Last Names (17Mins)
Lindybeige walks the Bayeux Tapestry* (23Mins)

Articles:
Medieval Britain on Medieval Occupations

Extra Credit:
Horrible Histories on the Doomeday Book* (2Mins)
Tasting History with Max Miller makes Makke (17Mins)
Weird History on the average Medieval diet (12Mins)
Kids try Medieval Food (because we need a cute cleanser) (5Mins)*
Ancient Technology Centre on Medieval Arrows (8Mins)
Dan Snow shows off a Mangonel (3Mins)

Modern History TV/Jason Kingsley OBE and a whole channel of Medieval history videos*

Also have some Bardcore.

Again, thanks for your patience. I'll try to get back on the proper schedule. Until next time, Time Troopers.

My Face When fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 19, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
General Mayhem? I wonder if Queen WhateverIWanabi is funding Carmen or something? Maybe I shouldn’t make jokes about movies no one else might remember. (Lego movie 2, if you care.)

Backtracking is always a pain.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

achtungnight posted:

General Mayhem? I wonder if Queen WhateverIWanabi is funding Carmen or something? Maybe I shouldn’t make jokes about movies no one else might remember. (Lego movie 2, if you care.)

Backtracking is always a pain.

I saw the first one and liked it but didn't check out the 2nd one or the Batman spin-off.

But yes, I do love how goofy the names are as we continue on the journey. I think there's a few more new ones on the way, as well, so the puns will always keep making us groan in the future and I can't help but love it.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
General Mayhem is the main henchman of the Queen, who is the second closest thing the second Lego movie has to a villain. I also understand it's a popular name among Generals.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat
Yeah, that was it. Figuring out who could make me a barrel really messed with 8 year old me. I had no idea what a cooper was, except in relation to the tire company, so I kept repeating all the other options because I was sure I had to have missed one. Felt really dumb when I finally got it.

One thing I did love is how happy the bear is once the muzzle comes off and he gets to eat a general. I assume it's very cathartic for him.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Yeah, I remember as a kid having thought that maybe i did something wrong. I had no idea what a cooper was.

It's crazy how adult me is solving these puzzles compared to what i remember as a kid. I was incredibly impatient.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

It's been an incredibly busy week for me...again. I haven't had a chance to sit down and record this week at all and with finals looming and other household things, I'm finding it difficult.

That hasn't deterred me from learning more history. I've been adding Byzantine Empire, Islamic Golden Age and Chinese Golden Age to my diet and frankly it's keeping me very full and I love it.

Captivating History on Byzantine Empire
Ted-ED on Byzantine Empire

Crash Course Science on Islamic Golden Age
Kings and Generals on the Islamic Golden Age

Crash Course on Chinese Golden Age
BBC 2 on the Chinese History

Also, if you're a movie buff like me, take the time to watch The Last Duel and also go to the movies for the recent release of The Northman.

The Last Duel is a Ridley Scott epic about the Last Duel in France. It was released during Covid and when I went to see it (after a rave review from Chris Stuckmann), I was the only one there. Be aware the sexual assault in the movie is incredibly real and raw, but the three perspectives and the acting was fantastic (particularly from Driver and Comer). It deserved much more credit than a lovely joke at the Oscars.

The Northman is a Robert Egger epic about revenge in the Viking Age. Egger brought his visual style in The Witch and The Lighthouse (another dreadfully underrated piece of work) to the movie and thought the historical accuracy is a bit off, it's still a great story about Revenge, Fate, and the consequences of both. Also, naked bodies and blood. And Bjork. And Willem Dafoe. And Ethan Hawke.

Anyway, I hope this will tie you over for now gumshoes. We'll go back in time soon, I promise.

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Hello!

Just wanted to give a heads up that I have not forgotten the thread. I've been having some needed rest and relaxation after doing three Spanish classes back-to-back (Fall, Mini, and Spring). The spark was kind of lost and as national tragedies came in (I live in Texas and Uvalde was extra hard on me), it was hard to bring myself to want to record or do anything. I decided to go ahead and push myself back into it.

I will be recording tonight, and I have an idea of how I'm going to bring us back in to the fray that is Carmen Sandiego. It might involve lovely art sketches and an improvisation from Chief.

I'll put up a hint for the next mission as well.

Stay alert, gumshoes!

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Here's your hint:

Forget Xanadu and see for yourself
the feat of one man who saw more in oneself.
From barbarians to merchants, cultures collide,
and dip your toe in silk to aid a Polo and guide.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Marco Polo on the Silk Road?

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

sb hermit posted:

Marco Polo on the Silk Road?

:ssh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's amazing how many of these I remember. This one made me salty :downsrim:

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

FoolyCharged posted:

It's amazing how many of these I remember. This one made me salty :downsrim:

Oh, same. I hated this one as a kid and I had no idea what I was doing wrong for the longest time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Face When
Nov 28, 2012

Hide your healthcare.
Hide your wife.

Actually that particular salty wound wont be until the next mission with a certain golden boy.

And yes i had problems with it as an adult too