Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

lol i'm stuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I’m floundering but it suits me. I can be a great striker when I’m 38

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Alikchi posted:

I’m floundering but it suits me. I can be a great striker when I’m 38

Lazio is just murdering your development, its so bizarre. If they don't want to play you, a bad Serie A team or a good Serie B team would have you starting every game on loan. As Lazio won't start you at all you're not getting enough minutes. Something similar but not as extreme is happening to Lynneth.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

11 years in the future

11 years in the future! How's it going at Newcastle?

Huge changes are afoot? The Saudi's are in the process of selling the club! Except they don't, the deal collapses 4 days later for no obvious reason. Otherwise the club is Bayern levels of dominant.

Funding has been completely cut by the Saudi's, but just recently.

Still playing the same 4-4-2 with a lot of familiar names. Wisdom Amey is a real life player they've bought in...because they've sold most of the CBs I was using.

Pitol is the best of the players they've bought in and he's quite - 14 goals from 29 appearances is a good return despite playing quite badly.

The core is starting to age out. Haaland is well on the decline, Mbappe has lost some of his pace and acceleration and the other guys still around and starting to track downhill.

Chelsea has developed a sensational attacking team, and you can see it in the results here. They have the two best English attacking players including a just incredible English striker who is probably the most valuable player in football history, and two world class turkish attacking midfielders. They deploy them in a 4-2-3-1 and it is lethal.

Newcastle dominance is slipping, and Barcelona is resurgent, helped by a certain goal keeping acquisition they have made.

Newcastle has surged back to FA cup dominance after a big surge from Chelsea.

Lol at that Leeds win

Around the Leagues

Most of the leagues are pretty standard:

Real Madrid and Barcalona are engaged in a shootout for the La-Liga title every year, with Athletico Madrid rounding up the top 3

Bayern Munich has won the Bundesliga every year except 2031/32 where Borussia M'gladbach pulled it out a complete miracle based off having the best defence in the league (half as many goals allowed as Bayern!) and finishing 2 points ahead of Bayern, then immediately exploded and didn't finish in the top 6 next year.

Ligue Un Ubereats was won by PSG 5 years in a row, then Monaco won 3 years in a row, then 5 more years of PSG. Sabri Lamouchi who is a former AS Monaco has returned to his club as manager in 2026, immediately lead them to 3 league victories and is widely beloved. Monaco is owned (as it is in real life) by Russian Oligarch Dmitry Rybolovlev who has built a new stadium and named it... Dmitry Rybolovlev Stadium!

Serie A has been won by Inter, Milan and Juventus. Inter winning most recently with both wins being managed by Pep Guardiola who left Liverpool after 7 years.

World Football

England's national team has become very dominant off the back of an absolute golden generation. English Fans are probably insufferable.

3 Euro wins in a row.

Beating Portugal,

Croatia,

and Italy.

Look at that win streak!

They are also dominanting the world cup.

2034 World Cup won by England over Spain.

In 2038 they beat France.

I'll post the goon update shortly.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Apr 7, 2022

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
This world deserves to be nuked.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Two World Wars and four World Cups and three European Championships and an unknown quantity of Nations League trophies (doo dah, doo dah)

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

drat that's quite the domination by the English... does that usually happen in FM?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

Average Lettuce posted:

drat that's quite the domination by the English... does that usually happen in FM?

FM relies on armies of volunteers to assign players their stats, and as an English-based and created game that is increasingly integrated into the English game yeah, it's always been kind to England

Depending on the edition, other countries will also be comically overpowered, depending on whose researchers are a more effective cabal. Plenty of us here will remember the several years of inexplicable Mexican dominance

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Obliterati posted:

FM relies on armies of volunteers to assign players their stats, and as an English-based and created game that is increasingly integrated into the English game yeah, it's always been kind to England

Depending on the edition, other countries will also be comically overpowered, depending on whose researchers are a more effective cabal. Plenty of us here will remember the several years of inexplicable Mexican dominance

"kind" is one thing, winning 6 out of 7 major tournaments is another. I'll just be happy I don't have to witness the insufferableness of the English media in this universe (cue the English national team winning the next major tournaments in real life).

Edit - Also, I'm not sure if it is feasible, but it could be kinda cool to know who's been winning the ballon d'or or equivalent.

Average Lettuce fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Apr 7, 2022

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
England came 4th in the last World Cup and 2nd in the last Euro. I assume that the media is at the same time insufferable and horrible at them for not winning it all, but I avoid listening to that claptrap.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Average Lettuce posted:

"kind" is one thing, winning 6 out of 7 major tournaments is another. I'll just be happy I don't have to witness the insufferableness of the English media in this universe (cue the English national team winning the next major tournaments in real life).

Edit - Also, I'm not sure if it is feasible, but it could be kinda cool to know who's been winning the ballon d'or or equivalent.

It is! I'm still working on the Goon post, but here you go

World Football Awards - 11 years on

A big thing that has happened is arguably greatest striker in the history of the world is an English 27 year old playing for Chelsea. Obviously that has massively helped the English team as he's just replaced Kane, and players like Bellingham have become amazing.

Best player in Europe

World Golden ball - the Ballon D'Or

World Goalkeeper of the year. Obviously Tergen's replacement at Barcelona is very good.

Current year World Team of the Year

2032's team of the year - the last year of the Juggernaut of Newcastle.

Goal 50 awards winners.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 8, 2022

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Somehow I double posted my bad

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Whats happening over in MLS/America

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Whats happening over in MLS/America

Very diverse ranges of winners. The Media reckon LA Galaxy is the favourites

And this guy is their best player.

The national team has been on the decline.

They have not won very much since the start of the save.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

FYI FM 2022 is doing a valve style free weekend until the 11th of April if you want to give it a go

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

An example of wide reality and xG disparity.

https://twitter.com/Caley_graphics/status/1512860729241747465?t=0PJhsm0Pnh1yOSXrJAJ-7Q&s=19

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

https://mobile.twitter.com/markstatsbot/status/1513007006080114688

Another gem of xG.

Update is delayed as my entirely family got covid. We are totally fine just locked in the house with the kiddos of chaos.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Average Lettuce

I mentioned before that Average Lettuce was one of the weirdest players I've ever seen in FM.

Nothing exciting here

Wait, what the hell happened to spike their value to 102 million pounds? That would be the 5th largest transfer fee ever recorded ignoring what I did at Newcastle.

Oh my god. I have never seen a player develop this much after age 23. TFLlama when shown this only said 'Holy poo poo'.' It's incredible. I literally did not think this could happen. He's become one of the ~10 best players in the world, is the 2nd best striker to ever come from Portugal, and is just sensational. His skillset has really rounded out with top draw pace and acceleration to give him an amazing physical package, great technical ability and first touch that makes him a devastating striker solo or as part of a two man strike team.

If this happened in real life it would be a media sensation. First up there would be a spat of bits about why are we paying 23.5 million pounds for this guy. Then later on everyone would be claiming that they knew it was a genius move all along, along with a million adoring profiles of Leicester's scouting and coaching team.

He hasn't secured much silverware due to the Newcastle dynasty.

But he's been recognised as a great individual player.

Leriaka

Leriaka has had a very strange career as well

Manchester United just would not play them. I have no idea why! So they got mad and left on a free transfer to the biggest club in Portugal, FC Porto

Where they have blossomed in a pretty drat good player. Just a sensationally bad move from Manchester united. Should have had them in and around the first team - or on loan to another English club in the premier league to develop.

Have had quite a bit of success with Porto though, and 100k a week is not to be sniffed at.

Captain Foo

Captain Foo is a really fun and useful piece if he doesn't quite reach the level of some of the other goons.

He made it to Europe eventually! I was surprised how long he spent in Argentina in the end, but he's been solid everywhere

He's a solid, reliable centreback, who's been in a leadership position at all three of his clubs.

FrankenFreak

FrankenFreak has become an elite player, but is not quite world class (and is playing for the enemy!)

111 appearances for Algeria is amazing, and they are a rusted on fixture of the national team.

Quite a strange career journey. The move to city probably didn't do them any favours, and they'd be better off if it came a season later. Nor do I understand what PSG was doing with that one year stint where they hardly played them then sold them to liverpool?

At Liverpool they've done well, battling their way into the first team and refusing to let go of their place.

They've never had a chance to be on a great team but have won some silverware along the way.

Alikchi

Unfortunately Alikchi has been a bit of a bust due to being mistreated by Lazio during the development phase. It hasn't stopped them from having a good career, but there is lots of potential that didn't get a chance to blossom

A well rounded but unexceptional striker up front.

The two year stint in Toronto really helped rehab their career. Coming out of the blocks, scoring a huge number of goals for the club, making the all star team and winning the league probably got them their last big contract at Napoli.

Toronto got two great years out of them and a championship win and shipped them back to Italy at a small profit.

JustJeff88

This guy has had the most stereotypical career path in football history.

Plays well in Brazil, goes from Brazil to a European club in a top 5 league. There he continues to play really well so he gets a move to a top club.

53 million was a ridiculously low price.

Lynneth

Lynneth has had the most straightforward career imaginable. They were Manchester United's hot centre back prospect

And now they've just become Manchester United's starting centreback. Some missed time due to injury (will come back to that in a sec), but otherwise, a regular starter.

Which isn't very surprising, as they are really very good. You might want them to be a bit bigger, but they are fast, have a deft first touch, are good in a tackle and are more than capable of bringing the ball out from the back. Solid mental attributes around out a very useful defensive piece.. who is home grown at club for Manchester United.

One of Englands best players.

Funny where they scored their first league goal though

Lads got their revenge though....

Last but not least

NiftyBottle

Okay they look pretty good and they are still at Bayern Munich.. but how do they have more goals conceded than starts?

I'm not any the wiser for this.

Other than one blip Bayern is still winning the league, and Niftybottle is really a very good goalie (Aerial reach 19!!!). However, more goals conceded that starts is not a metric usually associated with being any good at all. I did some digging but I couldn't work it out. My theory of the case is that Bayern has just said screw defending, CHAARRGGEEE and is relying on scoring more but I have zero evidence of whats going on.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever
A few things:

1) Firstly, which trophy did you not win? I lost count, but someone said 6 out of 7. I assume that it was one of the cups.

2) Secondly, I didn't even know that I had a doppleganger in this game. I don't even speak Spanish!

3) Is it just me, or is Marking not nearly as important for defenders as one would think?

4) Does anyone else find it amusing that all of the English players that have been knighted have their first initial now as 'S'? I chuckled at the fact that the game now thinks that 'Sir' is a forename.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

glad i made it to the big time eventually :unsmith:

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Nice! 33 goals in 49 appearances for the national team is pretty good! Hopefully I will be able to help Portugal break the English hegemony :smuggo:

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

JustJeff88 posted:

A few things:

1) Firstly, which trophy did you not win? I lost count, but someone said 6 out of 7. I assume that it was one of the cups.

2) Secondly, I didn't even know that I had a doppleganger in this game. I don't even speak Spanish!

3) Is it just me, or is Marking not nearly as important for defenders as one would think?

4) Does anyone else find it amusing that all of the English players that have been knighted have their first initial now as 'S'? I chuckled at the fact that the game now thinks that 'Sir' is a forename.

I didn't win the club world championship because I would have had to play a 4th season and this is over.

Other than like, pace, acceleration and sort of jumping reach its really hard to know how much anything in particular matters. The scanty evidence I've seen is that marking matters about as much as tackling for what its worth, but neither of them are hugely significant.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Oh my god. I have never seen a player develop this much after age 23. TFLlama when shown this only said 'Holy poo poo'.' It's incredible. I literally did not think this could happen. He's become one of the ~10 best players in the world, is the 2nd best striker to ever come from Portugal, and is just sensational. His skillset has really rounded out with top draw pace and acceleration to give him an amazing physical package, great technical ability and first touch that makes him a devastating striker solo or as part of a two man strike team.

If this happened in real life it would be a media sensation. First up there would be a spat of bits about why are we paying 23.5 million pounds for this guy. Then later on everyone would be claiming that they knew it was a genius move all along, along with a million adoring profiles of Leicester's scouting and coaching team.

let's talk about why I said holy poo poo about this. In Football manager, 24 is kinda a magic number in that it's basically when most players effectively stop improving. It's a little bit more complicated than that, as things like injuries, getting older losing physical stats but gaining mental ones in return happen, but as a general rule the CA you have when you hit 24 is probably gonna be within about 5-10 points of their absolute highest before they start declining. It's very, very common for players to be some 30-40 even 50 points below their potential ability because their team hosed up their development, or they got hurt or whatever.

This was lettuce at 23

these aren't bad numbers! they're not world class, and when I first saw them I thought "hey, he's almost really interesting, not quite what I'd want out of a world class striker, but he feels like a journeyman who's gonna LIGHT UP the championship or similar talent level leagues. Like, 30 goals a season for Fullham in the championship, gets bought for way too much by a big club and fails. In CA terms, it's probably...140-150ish but allocated in a way that probably makes him way underplay his attributes.

And then at 29 he's not only an elite striker in media reputation, he's gone from being not quite physically good enough for the top level to ABSOLUTELY good enough. Elite striker reputation means very high reputation plus a CA that's not quite world class but not far off, so he's probably gone from mid 140s CA to like around 180. So either he had the single greatest CA gaining season that 23rd season, or he kept improving past the point FM normally allows it. I have litterally played FM on and off for a decade now, and I've never seen a 23 year old kid improve that much by 29. it's amazing.

JustJeff88 posted:

this is one of those long complicated things that mostly comes down to "almost every stat in FM can sorta be substituted with others depending on what your role and other weakness are". Low marking, but with good positioning and good pace can absolutely still lead to a really solid WB/FB type, but bad marking with say, 8 pace is probably gonna completely ruin a dude. On the other hand, a 20 marking/tackling/heading/reach/strength CB probably could get away with sub-10 pace even at the absolute best teams in the world. It's all about understanding and playing around liabilities.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

TheFlyingLlama posted:

On the other hand, a 20 marking/tackling/heading/reach/strength CB probably could get away with sub-10 pace even at the absolute best teams in the world. It's all about understanding and playing around liabilities.

You'd want good defensive mentals on that dude, too, so that he doesn't get caught out of position/doesn't read the play/doesn't react instantly. A 20 Concentration/Decisions/Positioning would make him the limited defender nonpareil. Even then, he wouldn't work nearly as well if you're playing a high defensive line with an offside trap because he just doesn't have the pace to catch up with any upper division attacker who gets past him.

I would honestly like to see how an all 1 CA team with perfectly distributed stats did against an all 200 CA team with perfectly mis-distributed stats.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

You'd want good defensive mentals on that dude, too, so that he doesn't get caught out of position/doesn't read the play/doesn't react instantly. A 20 Concentration/Decisions/Positioning would make him the limited defender nonpareil. Even then, he wouldn't work nearly as well if you're playing a high defensive line with an offside trap because he just doesn't have the pace to catch up with any upper division attacker who gets past him.

I would honestly like to see how an all 1 CA team with perfectly distributed stats did against an all 200 CA team with perfectly mis-distributed stats.

A team of CA 1 players can absolutely blitz the league. You have to play strikerless though

quote:

Everyone: 20 Flair, 20 Aggression, 20 Determination, 20 Natural Fitness. These stats don’t count in CA, so I make them all 20 for the best presented results. But actually they’re not essential, from my other tests, if I make them all 1, I’ll lose 5 more EPL points at most.

Everyone: 212 cm tall, 106 kg weight (max. allowed value in game). Height and weight make a huge difference. 100 times more important than technical attributes.

Everyone: 1 weak foot. WF matters a lot, but it counts so much in CA, can’t have it in this test.

MC: 20 Heading, 20 Dribbling, 20 Pace, 20 Acceleration, 20 Balance, 20 Jumping Reach, 20 Agility, 6 Vision.

2 DMC: 20 Heading, 20 Dribbling, 20 Pace, 20 Acceleration, 20 Balance, 20 Jumping Reach, 15 Agility, 20 Vision.

1 DMC: 20 Free Kick, 20 Penalties, 20 Corners, 20 Dribbling, 20 Pace, 20 Acceleration, 6 Agility.

DL/R: 20 Dribbling, 20 Pace, 20 Acceleration, 20 Balance, 20 Jumping Reach, 12 Agility, 20 Vision.

DC: 20 Dribbling, 20 Pace, 20 Acceleration, 20 Balance, 20 Agility, 20 Vision, 20 Off the ball, 6 Anticipation. Can’t have heading and jumping reach, count too much in CA for DC. Notice that off the ball can change a lot for DC.

GK: don’t really matter. I make it 20 balance, 20 agility, 20 reflex, 20 concentration, 20 vision, 20 off the ball, 3 positioning. Besides, I just notice GK’s penalties don’t count in CA, should have made DM 1 penalties and higher agility.

I use editor to remove injuries. Just being lazy to create backups.

Results: 30-6-2 in EPL, 68 GD. wins both FA cup and carabao cup. MC have 29 29 and 26 goals, DM have 9 13 and 36 assists.

The biggest issue is that for what you're proposing 200 CA is so close to 279 CA ceiling of maxing out all statz lol.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Hmm, maybe drop it to 170 or so, which is world class for defenders and elite for attackers.

Maslovo
Oct 12, 2016

Did Adeyemi ever get to go to Paris?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Maslovo posted:

Did Adeyemi ever get to go to Paris?

He did, and then he bitched endlessly about not winning enough trophies after winning tons of bloody trophies at Newcastle.