Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

My son posted a very, very, racist and disgusting meme in a group chat. He's old enough to know better. I teach kids his age about this thing in my school. I've lead book studies on Stamped and American Like Me, etc. I'm so pissed I'm seeing red right now. The punishments will be multiple, and of a wide variety. But one I want to implement is a book study, and I'd like recommendations for him to read anything that will snap him straight.

I have Uncle Tom's Cabin, but I don't think it'd help any, to be honest. It's not as in your face and raw as I'd like. Amy recommendations? I'll probably at least start with Stamped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
How old is your son? I assume the racist meme was about black people, but you could add Books like this to his reading list. You're American, but the US also had residential schools like Canada I think.

Violet_Sky fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Feb 16, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
As a general rule, I'd advise against making anyone read anything as punishment. You run the risk of teaching the lesson that reading, generally, is bad and punishment, which could do a lot of damage, and he won't learn anything anyway he'll just learn to resent you for making him read.

What I'd suggest is making your son do volunteer work at a local charity that works with the homeless. Something like Habitat for Humanity or a soup kitchen or something like that. Something that gets him direct, personal contact with those poorer and browner than he is. He might still get super mad at you / about it but at least he'll be helping people and he might get some perspective.

Past that if you really do want him to do a book report type thing I'd probably point to the classics. Uncle Tom's Cabin isn't actually that readable and was written by a white lady and isn't a great choice overall. You'd probably be better off with something like Toni Morrison or Zora Neale Hurston, something well-written with a good story by an actual African-American author.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Feb 16, 2022

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

op, the only real answer is that you yourself become super racist. the child will then associate racism with parental uncoolness.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you are, in no way, going to convince a teenager who is either already too far gone on either the sincerity or the irony end of the spectrum to care via book.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Grem posted:

The punishments will be multiple, and of a wide variety.

Maybe you should read a book about parenting.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cutting promos on one's kid is hard business

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I feel like a few more details would be helpful.

Testicle Masochist
Oct 13, 2012

Look I don't wanna say I know the answers because this sounds like a complicated issue and I'm not sure of the details, but before you launch into a variety of punishments, have you tried talking to him about it? Either your kid is being radicalised from somewhere, and your punishments are just gonna push him further along that road, or he's trying to fit in with shitheads who may be being radicalised.

I know there's some ages where he might just not give a poo poo, but I would say you've got a better chance getting through to him by talking with him about this in a nonviolent communication way. Like have a sit down with him, read beforehand about how to engage in a non violent communication so that you can understand where he's at, and so that he can understand you care about him and don't want him to make bad and harmful decisions.

Just punishing him for this poo poo isn't going to teach him anything except that his parent is one of the people he can't trust.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Testicle Masochist posted:

Just punishing him for this poo poo isn't going to teach him anything except that his parent is one of the people he can't trust.

Yeah kids remember the punishment, not the excuse for the punishment.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Just, like...talk to your son instead of punishing him and calling him a shithead on the internet.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Just, like...talk to your son instead of punishing him and calling him a shithead on the internet.

Send them off to military school.

e: Is there a good book on military schools or whatever you call them? They're a completely alien concept to me and I only know they exist from oldish American movies.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Send them off to military school.

e: Is there a good book on military schools or whatever you call them? They're a completely alien concept to me and I only know they exist from oldish American movies.

I think the goal is to make them less racist not more.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Testicle Masochist posted:

Look I don't wanna say I know the answers because this sounds like a complicated issue and I'm not sure of the details, but before you launch into a variety of punishments, have you tried talking to him about it? Either your kid is being radicalised from somewhere, and your punishments are just gonna push him further along that road, or he's trying to fit in with shitheads who may be being radicalised.

I know there's some ages where he might just not give a poo poo, but I would say you've got a better chance getting through to him by talking with him about this in a nonviolent communication way. Like have a sit down with him, read beforehand about how to engage in a non violent communication so that you can understand where he's at, and so that he can understand you care about him and don't want him to make bad and harmful decisions.

We have discussed it at length and it sounds like an attempt to fit in with other ironic on the internet kids. I'm looking for anti-racist stuff guys, not making him read the dictionary. Joining an anti racist group at sch, changing one of his electives to a cultural literacy program, and stuff along those lines are going along with getting him a book to read. He's loved reading his entire life and this is something we've mutually agreed would be beneficial for him.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
your son should learn to keep being an insane online freak separate from real life mostly, it sounds like. idk what you expect to happen here lol. personally, all that stuff sounds like some dreadful white people poo poo but whatever. i don't really get racism in the first place unless it's in ironic terms so I don't know what to tell you. it's an alien thought process i probably won't ever understand.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

How old is your kid? What kind of books do they like to read? I agree with the approach of getting them to engage and change their views through varied methods (reading, volunteering, etc) but it will probably help to cater to their interests a bit.

If they're old enough to handle denser material and are interested in history or politics or the like then something like Indigenous peoples history of the United States, The Condemnation of Blackness, How the Irish became White, or If They Come in the Morning might be good starting points.

Anything by Toni Morrison, Octavia Butler, NK Jemisin, DJ Older, etc if they're into Sci-fi or fantasy.

If they're getting into that age where dating and relationships are becoming more of a focus then couldn't hurt to introduce them to The Will to Change, Women Race & Class, etc.

There's also lots of great writing out there now on racism in tech or gaming - Algorithms of Oppression, Dark Matters, The Race Card, and Intersectional Tech.

Happy to chat through the finer points of most of those, I've read pretty much all of them and definitely would've benefited from being exposed to them at a younger age.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I assume your kid is in his teens or tweens, OP, and that's a really tough age to communicate the fact that irony isn't real and ironic racism is just straight-up racism. That sucks, and it's something I worry about when I think about having a kid of my own.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
this book helped my beloved adult son Memnoch stop posting Pepe memes on Twitter. It’s available at Kohl’s so convenient to pick up when you need a quick pair of replacement slacks:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Mat Cauthon posted:

How old is your kid? What kind of books do they like to read? I agree with the approach of getting them to engage and change their views through varied methods (reading, volunteering, etc) but it will probably help to cater to their interests a bit.

If they're old enough to handle denser material and are interested in history or politics or the like then something like Indigenous peoples history of the United States, The Condemnation of Blackness, How the Irish became White, or If They Come in the Morning might be good starting points.

Anything by Toni Morrison, Octavia Butler, NK Jemisin, DJ Older, etc if they're into Sci-fi or fantasy.

If they're getting into that age where dating and relationships are becoming more of a focus then couldn't hurt to introduce them to The Will to Change, Women Race & Class, etc.

There's also lots of great writing out there now on racism in tech or gaming - Algorithms of Oppression, Dark Matters, The Race Card, and Intersectional Tech.

Happy to chat through the finer points of most of those, I've read pretty much all of them and definitely would've benefited from being exposed to them at a younger age.

hey this is an awesome post, thanks!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Glad to help.

One more thought - if you're not already planning on doing this I would recommend reading whatever books you assign the kid (even if you've read them before) and setting up time to talk through the material with them (once a week or something like that). That way it is less of a punishment and more of a "this thing that happened made me realize we both need to learn more and work through this together" experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

bell hooks, maybe? I know I found them to be a very informative and easy-to-read author not just on race but on feminism.