Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I don't recognize Kat, either. But there must be something in a previous game or summat. Much like I'm sure David-Hannah-Shanks must be in reference to something.

Also Nico, what they say about omelettes is that you only need to make them with one egg. Because one egg is un œuf!

...I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
Apparently https://brokensword.fandom.com/wiki/Kat_D was a backer in the Kickstarter that was randomly chosen to become one of the side characters in the game. The other one was https://brokensword.fandom.com/wiki/Adam, Nico's next door neighbor with the pug decor, who we met in Fleur's flower shop.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
It seems like they were chosen at random too. Which is pretty cool as they could have easily made that an expensive backer option.

I haven't seen any deaths in this game so far, which is unusual for a Broken Sword game.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

George & Nico enter the chapel and find a couple of old relics, then after they've spoken to Duane & Pearl they solve some puzzles.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That musical notes puzzle really, really annoyed me as well when I played the game. It felt so cheap that you have to know notes to solve it. It was one of two places in the game where I just said gently caress it and looked at a guide online. The other puzzle I think will come up in the next video.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

George & Nico investigate the mysterious alcove and discover a few surprises inside. We're getting close to the end of the game now, things have already escalated and they're only going to escalate further.

fish and chips and dip posted:

That musical notes puzzle really, really annoyed me as well when I played the game. It felt so cheap that you have to know notes to solve it. It was one of two places in the game where I just said gently caress it and looked at a guide online. The other puzzle I think will come up in the next video.

It may well be in this video as there is a puzzle here where I have an issue with.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
The symbol you got stuck on is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of makes sense in hindsight:

From where you start at the east river, directly to the south is the Ju-Ha Young Cities, marked on the map as e. If you read the symbol as "Look towards the region of Ju-Ha Young Cities," you'd be facing directly south.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

The symbol you got stuck on is a bit of a stretch, but it kind of makes sense in hindsight:

From where you start at the east river, directly to the south is the Ju-Ha Young Cities, marked on the map as e. If you read the symbol as "Look towards the region of Ju-Ha Young Cities," you'd be facing directly south.

That actually makes a lot of sense, thank you!

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
That "south" symbol was the second puzzle that annoyed me and I had to look up a guide. I remember I was so convinced I was right about it meaning "Young City" that I didn't bother to double check it. I thought the mistake must have been with my numbers, or with "burning region" which kinda could be volcano as well as desert.

Albu-quirky Guy posted:

Yeah I guess. The more I think about it, the more sense your explanation makes. Doesn't mean I'm happy about it!

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

From what I know about Gnosticism and other esoteric cults, this type of dumb code fits their M.O.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the penultimate video of the game and of this whole LP series. In this video, we say hello again to some old friends and say goodbye to a couple of other friends.

I'm currently trying to decide what to LP next. I have a few games in mind but haven't settled on anything as of yet. I am planning on starting another megathread in the future, I have a couple of projects in mind, but I don't want to jump into another one straight after this one ends.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Well, not-Putin met a very sudden end.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Samovar posted:

Well, not-Putin met a very sudden end.

It was fairly sudden if we discount the Philosophical discussion beforehand. It was quite the surprise appearance though.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
I decided to google the platinum 12 ruble, I don't know much about coins. Seems like top valuation is around $115K

Anyway, the appearance of George and Nico in the chapel is extra funny since the stone door does make noise when it opens, so Langham and his goons didn't even hear it.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I started to record the finale 56 minutes ago and was even thinking about uploading it tonight if I had the time. The game finished half an hour ago and the credits are still rolling. I'm going to upload everything tomorrow as its past midnight now and I was going to get a bit of rest after work and before I go to bed. I think that I'm going to put the credits into it's own separate video. There may be some noise at some point as I gave up waiting after about twenty minutes and decided to out the headset down and stretch my legs.

fish and chips and dip posted:

I decided to google the platinum 12 ruble, I don't know much about coins. Seems like top valuation is around $115K

Anyway, the appearance of George and Nico in the chapel is extra funny since the stone door does make noise when it opens, so Langham and his goons didn't even hear it.

That's still a hefty price tag for a single coin.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Sweet loving Jesus I thought that we reached the end of the backer names, I've just poked my head around the door and it's started off listing a load of people beginning with A again :suicide:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Four minutes later and it's just reached H.

If this lists another load of backers after this lot I'll cry!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

:cry:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Okay, it's over.

Finale - 32 minutes and 57 seconds.

Closing credits - 49 minutes and 27 seconds.

They'll be up tomorrow/today.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

End Credits: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMdU9CIS5hE

This is the end of Broken Sword 5 and the end of the Broken Sword series, for now. I started this thread almost a year ago (February 18th 2022) and it's been fun revisiting the series. It's always fun going back to Broken Sword 1 & 2, they still hold up to this day and I'm sure that I will return to them again in another decade or so.

Broken Sword in 3D was a mixed bag, it's a shame that the developers were forced into it but that was happening to developers everywhere at the time. I wrote extensively about the development of Simon The Sorcerer 3D when I was LP'ing it, the original game was developed in 2D but they were forced to switch to rewrite and redevelop the whole game into a 3D engine and the whole process with some extra bad luck thrown in ended up sinking the company. Despite the change in engine, Broken Sword 3 still holds up pretty well and it's still fun to play even now. The game had issues, some things worked and some things didn't but the main thing is that the developers took the feedback on board. This is one game where I have a lot of false memories, one of them is a couple of block puzzles that I have firm memories of in my mind but they didn't exist during the playthrough.

Broken Sword 4 wasn't a bad game, it wasn't a good game either. It was very messy and clumsy to play through, the writing was the weakest of the whole series.

I really enjoyed Broken Sword 5. The graphics were fantastic, the voice acting was great throughout and the writing was really good. It was nice to have George and Nico interacting like they used to and not have them continually bickering on at each other endlessly. The series definitely ended on a high note.

I'm not sure if and when a Broken Sword 6 is happening. Charles Cecil came out and said that he would love to work on another game but nothing is concrete at the moment, the comments he made about Germany were more about throwing some ideas out there for a potential sixth game. If and when a sixth game happens I will be all over it when it appears. I'm not sure what's coming up next. I'm going to do a test run on a more modern-day adventure game, I just need to know if my system can handle it effectively as my machine is getting old. If not then I also have a very obscure adventure game lined up.

Thank you, everyone, for being part of this megathread. This has been a really fun one!

RBD

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, this was one hell of a ride, thanks for the LP.

I'm glad the series ended with George working together with his oldest and most vicious enemy.

e: It's also a nice depiction of history of the adventure game genre, starting on point'n'click, adopting early 3D despite it bringing absolutely no benefits, adding action/platformer game gimmicks, only to end where it started.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Feb 4, 2023

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Poor Donna :(

^^^ actually... Yeah! That's a really good metatextual analysis of this game.

Thanks for playing through the series, RBD! It was a pleasure to see them - I only ever remember seeing the cover art as a nipper for the first game and having no idea what it was about.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
Thanks for the series, really enjoyed it. Like I said, I was very curious about the other games in the series having only played The Serpents Curse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Thanks for the effort, RBD! It's been a blast following you playing these classics :) I've only just started on BS4, but I think I can say already now, that I'll be giving 5's credits video a miss :D