Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

counterfeitsaint posted:

In real life I don't see how you could separate your personality from your gathered life experiences and memories. It seems like people would be a lot more of a blank slate and just develop a new personality to go with their new set of memories. I'd imagine that I'd end up confused and cowed into compliance too, as would most people. It's really hard to say you'd do otherwise without coming off as an internet toughguy.

To a certain extent, but our basic personalities are mostly locked in by the time we're two or so and it's not like we remember much/anything from that period. People would definitely have different reactions and they may even be fairly unpredictable depending on circumstance but overall you'd still be a version of 'you', just without the episodic (as opposed to inherent) memories that make up your adult self

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

counterfeitsaint posted:

In real life I don't see how you could separate your personality from your gathered life experiences and memories. It seems like people would be a lot more of a blank slate and just develop a new personality to go with their new set of memories. I'd imagine that I'd end up confused and cowed into compliance too, as would most people. It's really hard to say you'd do otherwise without coming off as an internet toughguy.

I would fight my way out with my replica katana

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Given they still haven't wrapped filming, and that the first season took like half a year of editing, I guess the release date will be 2025.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Tarnop posted:

I would fight my way out with my replica katana

While you were out partying, I was enjoying each of my katanas equally.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Given that Innies seem to wake up with knowledge but no memories of acquiring that knowledge, I'd assume my innie would compare their situation to the TV show Severance that they can't remember watching but somehow know the synopsis to.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It's basically explicit versus implicit memory.

One is how to walk, eat, language, even driving a car.

The other is your favourite colour, what you had for breakfast, the names of your loved ones.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Irving demonstrates that subconscious memories of the "other side" still exist. So it's probably less of a true blank slate and more like "I am very deliberately trying not to think of my name or history or day-to-day experiences, even if I have conflicting desires to remember these things."

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
I still think outie Helly is a double agent intent on sabotaging Lumon/her family, and I'm hoping we get to see that play out in season 2. The video she sent her innie felt a little too barbed to be sincere to me, like she was intentionally trying to rile her up and push her further.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I never watched Lost, but I did watch Wrecked. That show was great.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

When I realised that, not only was there not a plan, but there had never been a plan, I really checked out of the show.
:same:

Although it was very funny when "they have a plan" was quietly dropped from the opening titles because it had become painfully obvious that they loving don't.

Das Boo posted:

From infuriates me because you have a whole town of people and not 'a one of them does anything that makes sense. Oh, monsters hypnotize you through the windows? Oh, well, too bad we can't board them up for... reasons. Also you gotta pick which group of strangers you live with right now and your decision's permanent for... reasons. Also I leave my daughter alone with an unsecured window that only my absent husband can hammer shut for... reasons. Nobody test the bounds that could help us get out of here for... reasons! YOU ARE MAKING UP YOUR OWN RULES, loving WORK WITH THEM.
The thing about From is that it's not a mystery. They're not setting up a clever explanation or trying to explore the idea of what people would do in this situation. It's pure horror. Every choice they make is based on what will be spookier. The character in a slasher film never checks to make sure the killer is really dead, because if they did that then the killer couldn't pop back up five minutes later. The characters in From can't board up the windows because if they did that then the vampires couldn't look in at them and try to convince them to open up or come outside. You've got a bunch of people living all together in one big house where a one person can gently caress them all over by opening a single window, because obviously that's got to happen at some point. It doesn't even matter if the writers have any kind of plan for any of it, because what's actually important is managing the tension. Letting it out just enough for the audience to relax before ratcheting it back up.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I can't feel tension because it doesn't establish expectations. You know the old Alfred Hitchcock bit about the bomb under the table? It's tense because you know a bomb explodes. If the bomb, say... doesn't explode, but a tiny evil ballerina crawls out and dances menacingly at a character before disappearing and he refuses to address it in anyway and it has zero connection to anything else going on, that's not thrilling. That's an incoherent shitpost that cuts to Spooky Thing and hopes you got more scared than confused for a second there.

From, condensed:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tiggum posted:

I never watched Lost, but I did watch Wrecked. That show was great.

:same:

Although it was very funny when "they have a plan" was quietly dropped from the opening titles because it had become painfully obvious that they loving don't.

The thing about From is that it's not a mystery. They're not setting up a clever explanation or trying to explore the idea of what people would do in this situation. It's pure horror. Every choice they make is based on what will be spookier. The character in a slasher film never checks to make sure the killer is really dead, because if they did that then the killer couldn't pop back up five minutes later. The characters in From can't board up the windows because if they did that then the vampires couldn't look in at them and try to convince them to open up or come outside. You've got a bunch of people living all together in one big house where a one person can gently caress them all over by opening a single window, because obviously that's got to happen at some point. It doesn't even matter if the writers have any kind of plan for any of it, because what's actually important is managing the tension. Letting it out just enough for the audience to relax before ratcheting it back up.

That’s a good point. I was extremely taken by trying to figure out the rules of the world, like if the monsters have consciousness or interests, or if they’re just mechanisms that serve a purpose. But maybe part of the show refusing to develop that idea is because it’s scarier not to.

But if the show isn’t going to develop its weird setting in a logical way and is going to follow nightmare logic instead, I don’t know how long I’ll stay interested. Especially now that my favorite monster Big Smile Letter Jacket Man, is dead.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Das Boo posted:

I can't feel tension because it doesn't establish expectations. You know the old Alfred Hitchcock bit about the bomb under the table? It's tense because you know a bomb explodes. If the bomb, say... doesn't explode, but a tiny evil ballerina crawls out and dances menacingly at a character before disappearing and he refuses to address it in anyway and it has zero connection to anything else going on, that's not thrilling. That's an incoherent shitpost that cuts to Spooky Thing and hopes you got more scared than confused for a second there.

From, condensed:

yeah, the spoilered gif is startling not scary. I've never really been into jumpscare type movies, and I also prefer my Weird to have at least some sort of grounding.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

To look sexy in a red dress.

Pounding on the table demanding Michael Hogan in the Six dress

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Season 2 wraps filming

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 28 days!)

oh cool. i thought this was still in some kind of production hell.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Everytime that dude was on screen in the Fallout show, this was playing in my head.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

roomtone posted:

oh cool. i thought this was still in some kind of production hell.
Still another 8-9 months of editing.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

I love how that moment was totally 'normal' in the show, but looks just insanely surreal taken out of context.

Of course, the original moment is also insanely surreal, just normally so.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Seeing it without seeing the show it must just be a goofy gif, but when the show earns its way there it's such an incredible payoff.

yellowD
Mar 7, 2007

Like 5 episodes into a rewatch and it's still so incredible. And picking up on a lot more the second time through

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I dunno, even in the moment it felt like the producers intentionally created it as a ~weird~ showpiece. Like the dance scene in Ex Machina.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I definitely can relate to violent reaction towards TEAM SPIRIT enforcement in the workplace.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Apparently it took forever to get the lights to blink like that in sequence

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Khanstant posted:

Seeing it without seeing the show it must just be a goofy gif, but when the show earns its way there it's such an incredible payoff.

I watched the show purely because I kept seeing the gang tag, put it into Google reverse image search and saw the title. I didn't know anything about it beyond "work self, life self", that gif, and the title.

e: quoted the wrong post

Nobody Interesting fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 24, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Vegetable posted:

I dunno, even in the moment it felt like the producers intentionally created it as a ~weird~ showpiece. Like the dance scene in Ex Machina.

I had to look it up because that scene left no impression on me either time I watched it apparently.

It's definitely a weird showpiece but it's also a good boiling point. It's corporate moral nonboosters that are incredibly diminished versions of fun activities like music and dancing, but the music selection is direly limited and the dancing is compulsory. They're trying to control these people with the whole "party" and trying to trigger that positive reaction only flashes his memory more to the knowledge he has a child and family he is essentially imprisoned away from knowing or seeing.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It felt like a lot of enforced corporate 'fun' times, though obviously played up a bit. I remember one time my company took us to a dude ranch for a weekend and the CEO and one of the VPs did a bunch of coke in their SUV prior to a like almost race into game of tag competition thing we had to do, and everyone was kinda having fun but not enough fun so the VP hollared that nobody was doing it right and then full on plowed into another dude at a full run from behind to show us how it was done.

It was hella awkward and we all had to kind of pretend it didn't happen and keep on hanging out. Anyway, my point is: It was surreal in the same way that scene was and corporate enforced fun often is.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Shageletic posted:

Apparently it took forever to get the lights to blink like that in sequence

Yeah, I wonder if the ceiling lights were a persistent problem for the production. I swear I read somewhere that the sequence where Helly and Mark are wandering through the pitch black corridors, lit by motion censor activated lights in the ceiling, was a nightmare to pull together.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

i would hope the lights were manually controlled

hook em up to a midi controller or drumset on set

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Controlling the dance lights for other cubicle pods is what their job is all day.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Were they using actual fluorescent lights for the office? For that scene I would have just ditched them and put LEDs up there for the dance party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Found the article that I got that from I think

quote:

The process took weeks. Helen Leigh’s script left “a lot of room to play,” Erickson says, and everyone’s creativity took hold. For Tillman, that meant solo dance parties in his apartment “with the blinds drawn” to Earth, Wind & Fire; Stevie Wonder; and Aretha Franklin to perfect Milchick’s moves. While he and Rodriguez collaborated on the choreography to the clip from Joe McPhee’s 1971 song “Shakey Jake,” excerpted by music supervisor George Drakoulias, Gagné and Stiller worked on designing the ceiling’s rainbow-hued lighting and benefited from a happy accident with the dimmer board, which created the strobe effect.

“The gaffer thought it looked cool, so he was like, I’ll just show her,” Gagné says. “And I was like, That’s the most amazing! We’re keeping it!”

Other challenges arose. It took nearly a month to program the lighting, which Tillman — nicknamed “Milkshake” on set after one PA misheard “Milchick” — describes as Severance’s own Studio 54. Tillman and Rodriguez decided he would be unaware of the dance moves the MDR team would perform during the sequence, adding the additional challenge of Tillman organically responding to them during filming. (The actor’s only self-imposed rule for Milchick: “It’s in the Lumon handbook, no twerking.”) During the first day of filming the MDE, with ice on hand to keep Tillman from sweating through a cream cashmere sweater that “traps heat like none other,” the cast and crew didn’t even get to the dancing.

“We get right up to the point where I turn around, drop the needle on the record, and turn on the lights. And I think that was the end of that day,” Tillman says. But on the second day, with the cast and crew hyped, “we’re just having a ball.”

The morning was devoted to the dance number, which Tillman estimates took about 10 takes. “Many years in theater definitely prepared me to be able to dance and be open, because I needed to get information from them and that information was in their dance,” he says. The MDR space, which is Gagné’s favorite set inside Lumon for its contrasting tones and geometric lines, comes alive in shades of purple, blue, and pink as Tillman winds across the floor, doing a ʼ60s-style Mod dance with Helly, soldier-marching with Mark, and getting down with Irv. (Among the takes that didn’t make the final cut were “the Bump with Mark and a little Snake with John Turturro,” Tillman says.)

https://www.vulture.com/article/how-severance-filmed-defiant-jazz-dance-sequence.html