Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

The Problem
For the past year, my computer has been hard crashing randomly when i have been playing games. I know its not related to overheating cause I run temp monitoring software and my cpu and gpu are usually in the 70s when it crashes. They rarely go up to the 80s and pretty much never hit 90s.

I did a complete clean Windows 10 install on a new M2 drive and wiped my other drives about 6 months ago. The crashing still persisted. It wasnt very frequent, and there would be times where i would go weeks without a crash. But it would always creep back every now and then to remind that something was wrong.

At that point, I was convinced it was related to my power supply so I purchased a new Corsair rm 750x to replace my Focus SSR 650FX.

After swapping out all the power cables and the psu, i tried to power my pc on and was unsuccessful. The power button lit up for a split second and the psu made a clicking sound, but it was unable to stay on. Additionally, the ram sticks on my morherboard lit up (theyre RGB. Please dont make fun of me, they were the best deal at the time). The ram stayed lit up, but seemingly nothing else in my pc had power. Hitting the power button again had no effect, the ram stayed lit up. I had to hit the power switch on the back of my psu to get the ram to turn off.

Attempted fixes:
My first attempt at fixing this was to double check that everything was plugged in and try again. That had the same result as before.

I then unplugged and plugged all the power cords back in. Same result as before.

I then tried to plug in my old psu and power cords. This also had the same result, with the ram sticks lighting up but the pc not turning on.

At this point, i am now worried that i ruined my PC and i have no idea what to do next.

System specs:
Windows 10
Intel i9 9900k
Zotac 2080 ti
4 sticks of 8gb DDR4 3200 ram
Z390 Aorus pro motherboard
Old psu Focus SSR 650FX
New psu Corsair RM 750X

Tried to google but most stuff i find says to check my cables or try a new psu. Cant find out what it means when my ram sticks stay lit up. Really hope i didnt fry my pc but im not confident at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's like a 99% chance you plugged the wrong 4 pin into your motherboard. Look at the cables that came with the PSU again and read the labels carefully.

Thankfully, this almost certainly didn't break anything.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

I definitely plugged the correct cord into the 4pin slot. It was labeled and everything. Even ignoring that, i tried to undo what i installed and went back to the old cords and psu that (mostly) worked and now it wont even POST

Something is messed up and I dont know how to narrow down what is wrong

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

New psu came with two cpu cords. Tried both and had the exact same result both times

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Try using one stick of RAM and onboard video and see if it POSTs.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

PC was able to POST with a third PSU so it looks like the new and old PSUs were defective. Gonna RMA the new PSU and hope the replacement is able to work properly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

new PSU arrived and PC was able to turn on and work correctly with it. Looks like the other PSU was DOA and my older one finally crapped out on me at the same time. Bad luck, but its all good now thankfully.