Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Years ago, I was driving around & switching through stations on my car radio. Eventually I settled on a station playing an old-timey, scratchy recording that I recognized as an instrumental version of Tea For Two, a 1925 pop song by Youmans and Caesar. I was amazed and excited, because I didn't think there was a station around me that played Great American Songbook standards. I recalled reading about this song in the book American Popular Song by Alec Wilder, and also hearing Michael Feinstein discuss it in an interview. I happily absorbed the characteristic sound of this time period; a time when songs had blues chords, and modulated themselves in creative ways, and always managed to come back to a diatonic resolution. And I couldn't help but smile as I recalled the lyrics of this particular song, brimming with optimism and clever wordplay. For reference, the following is approximately what I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMEPYU1Xwg

Then, all of a sudden, a voice on the radio said, "Boy, this music SUCKS, huh? It's a good thing that you're listening to EXTREME ROCK STATION 103.9, because we would NEVER play lovely music like this!" At this point, Tea for Two faded away, and an electric guitar solo started playing. The voice continued: "Stay tuned to 103.9, your home for REAL AWESOME music, not that lovely stuff the OTHER stations play!"

This is a true story. It taught me a lot about how I stand in relation to the rest of society.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heather Papps

hello friend

i'm sorry for your families loss.

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

google THIS

You're listing to one OWNED three nine, WSHD, The Shade

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
that's hosed up

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

How Wonderful!

I only have excellent ideas

blaise rascal posted:

Years ago, I was driving around & switching through stations on my car radio. Eventually I settled on a station playing an old-timey, scratchy recording that I recognized as an instrumental version of Tea For Two, a 1925 pop song by Youmans and Caesar. I was amazed and excited, because I didn't think there was a station around me that played Great American Songbook standards. I recalled reading about this song in the book American Popular Song by Alec Wilder, and also hearing Michael Feinstein discuss it in an interview. I happily absorbed the characteristic sound of this time period; a time when songs had blues chords, and modulated themselves in creative ways, and always managed to come back to a diatonic resolution. And I couldn't help but smile as I recalled the lyrics of this particular song, brimming with optimism and clever wordplay. For reference, the following is approximately what I heard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kMEPYU1Xwg

Then, all of a sudden, a voice on the radio said, "Boy, this music SUCKS, huh? It's a good thing that you're listening to EXTREME ROCK STATION 103.9, because we would NEVER play lovely music like this!" At this point, Tea for Two faded away, and an electric guitar solo started playing. The voice continued: "Stay tuned to 103.9, your home for REAL AWESOME music, not that lovely stuff the OTHER stations play!"

This is a true story. It taught me a lot about how I stand in relation to the rest of society.

You should drive to Maine, I forget the name of the station but when I worked at Bowdoin there was a station that didn't play a single thing later than 1940 and just had incredible jazz and tin pan alley stuff nonstop. I worked weird hours managing evening chamber music concerts so I'd get off work like 10:00 or 11:00 pretty wired but everything in town already closed, so I'd just drive around and the coast looking at the ocean and listening to Jerome Kern Mega Marathons or whatever.

-sig by Manifisto! goblin by Khanstant! News and possum by deep dish peat moss!

nut

sounds like, in the eyes of society, it’s tea for one for you

nut

monster energy shitfuck shocker extra taurine for two

Dr. Honked

eat it you slaaaaaaag
please sign me up for EXTREME TEA RADIO

thanks deep dish pete moss and Plant MONSTER

google THIS

At least make it kombucha for twocha

How Wonderful!

buch for a bunch

Sherbert Hoover

Working hard, thank you!
hey op here's another time, you BOZO!!

this sig is protected by Simsmagic!

blaise rascal

How Wonderful! posted:

You should drive to Maine, I forget the name of the station but when I worked at Bowdoin there was a station that didn't play a single thing later than 1940 and just had incredible jazz and tin pan alley stuff nonstop. I worked weird hours managing evening chamber music concerts so I'd get off work like 10:00 or 11:00 pretty wired but everything in town already closed, so I'd just drive around and the coast looking at the ocean and listening to Jerome Kern Mega Marathons or whatever.
That sounds lovely :) Jerome Kern is certainly one of the greats!

nut posted:

lol

Sherbert Hoover posted:

hey op here's another time, you BOZO!!
(sighs, pulls out a notebook, and adds this to the list)

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

Twenty Four

WKNB : We just play Nickelback, bro

How Wonderful!

those good old Nickel Pan Alley tunes

the unabonger
heres a story about how I was brutally owned:

I was born,

Ass-penny

How long was the clip of tea for two playing before the dj decided to knock it? I'm trying to imagine how insecure I'd need to be in my taste in music to
A) be a dj
B) record a station promotion slamming music I don't play

Like this story is so sad to me, and not just for the op. Modern music wouldn't exist if older music hadn't, because nothing exists in a vacuum. So even if it isn't your cup of tea I feel like you could leave jazz alone while you listen to people shred on an electric guitar instead of the piano or something.

Anyway, sorry you got dunked on op. Below I've enclosed my emptyquotes.

nut posted:

i flunked out posted:

heres a story about how I was brutally owned:

I was born,

thank you so much to nesamdoom for the scurry fall sig!

(┛◉Д◉)┛彡┻━┻ #YesNutNovember - add this to your sig if you love and support BYOB's own nut

How Wonderful!

Let's post about our favorite versions of "Tea for Two."

For me I think it is-- easily the 1933 Art Tatum version which sounds so effortlessly joyful and free that just listening to the first five seconds of intro just now in this lovely week made me burst into tears.

I will cheat by saying my second favorite is also by Art Tatum, the... 1950 (??) recording which segues into "Honeysuckle Rose."

Number three I will cheat again and say the 1953 Art Tatum recording, which is a lot more... abstract I guess and on a bad day it sounds manic to me but on a good day it sounds to me like someone suddenly realizing that there's no such thing as gravity and nobody in the world can convince him otherwise.

Number four is Bud Powell in 1951 which still sounds to me like music from the future.

Number five is Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Basie. Tied with the version off of Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette which is often not the right song for whatever mood I'm in but I can't argue that it doesn't rule, it sounds like eating cake feels.

Honorable mention to Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson trio, just because remembering it existed got me to put on The President Plays With the Oscar Peterson Trio. Another honorable mention to Yuja Wang's which feels like a really sly and loving homage to Art Tatum.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Feb 28, 2022

blaise rascal

rear end-penny posted:

How long was the clip of tea for two playing before the dj decided to knock it? I'm trying to imagine how insecure I'd need to be in my taste in music to
A) be a dj
B) record a station promotion slamming music I don't play

Like this story is so sad to me, and not just for the op. Modern music wouldn't exist if older music hadn't, because nothing exists in a vacuum. So even if it isn't your cup of tea I feel like you could leave jazz alone while you listen to people shred on an electric guitar instead of the piano or something.

Anyway, sorry you got dunked on op. Below I've enclosed my emptyquotes.
It wasn't a live DJ saying those words, it was a prerecorded "stinger." Not sure how long Tea For Two was playing, since I joined in AS it was playing, but I'm guessing not for very long. I will add that they tried to choose a slow version of the song, so that it would sound boring and lame. (When I made this thread, I couldn't find a perfect recording to match what I remember hearing, so I just picked Art Tatum's.) I think that the tone this radio station was trying to go for was humor - and I do think it's pretty funny, actually, all things considered.

How Wonderful! posted:

Let's post about our favorite versions of "Tea for Two."

For me I think it is-- easily the 1933 Art Tatum version which sounds so effortlessly joyful and free that just listening to the first five seconds of intro just now in this lovely week made me burst into tears.

I will cheat by saying my second favorite is also by Art Tatum, the... 1950 (??) recording which segues into "Honeysuckle Rose."

Number three I will cheat again and say the 1953 Art Tatum recording, which is a lot more... abstract I guess and on a bad day it sounds manic to me but on a good day it sounds to me like someone suddenly realizing that there's no such thing as gravity and nobody in the world can convince him otherwise.

Number four is Bud Powell in 1951 which still sounds to me like music from the future.

Number five is Ella Fitzgerald and Duke Basie. Tied with the version off of Cattin' with Coltrane and Quinichette which is often not the right song for whatever mood I'm in but I can't argue that it doesn't rule, it sounds like eating cake feels.

Honorable mention to Lester Young with the Oscar Peterson trio, just because remembering it existed got me to put on The President Plays With the Oscar Peterson Trio. Another honorable mention to Yuja Wang's which feels like a really sly and loving homage to Art Tatum.
These are all great! And I hadn't heard most of them before. Your comment about "there's no such thing as gravity" is very well said and brought a smile to my face.

Usually Ella Fitzgerald or Nat Cole record my favorite version of a jazz standard, but I think my favorite version of Tea for Two is this recording by Doris Day & Gordon McRae. This intimate, simple vocal style is what I enjoy most in jazz. Don't get me wrong, I also appreciate the bravado of big band, and the creativity of bebop, but this ballad style is what made me fall in love with jazz in the first place many years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CrPx5GhvTrw

Sorry you had a lovely week. Hope it gets better.

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

alexandriao

nut posted:

sounds like, in the eyes of society, it’s tea for one for you

lol

Too much is always not enough!

(Thanks to tvsveryown for the spring sig!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Dogballs

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxtmQDCyLE8

----------------
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/HopefulSophisticatedIndianrhinoceros-mobile.webm
"The Bad Boy of Comics"