Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacing in vienna
Jan 4, 2007

people they want us to fall down
but we won't ever touch the ground
we're perfectly balanced, we float around
til no one is here, do you hear the sound?

Lipstick Apathy
TL;DR: recently deceased cat was on fancy internet "raw food." We have quite a bit left over and no idea where/how to donate it. Ideas?

I'm hoping goons can help me out, here.

Yesterday, we lost Josie, our feisty tortie. This isn't a memorial thread, although I did include some pictures at the bottom. Please ignore how tiny she looks -- we absolutely couldn't get her to put on weight, and I promise you, we tried.

Josie had been abandoned in the woods for several months (by her previous shitstain owners) and had a number of intestinal issues. She had chronic diarrhea, and most food only made it worse. After trying a lot of different options, we landed on some expensive over-the-internet "raw food" that was delivered in bulk by mail.

This stuff she loved, and it helped her intestinal problems quite a bit, so we switched her over to it. We tried offering it to our other two cats, but they won't touch it.

And then yesterday happened, and we lost Josie, which we knew was coming but still loving sucked.

Since you have to order this stuff in bulk -- I mean, they send it in three-month-size chunks at a time -- we've got about a month, month and a half left. Since they packed it in dry ice, it's not really something we can ship anywhere, and it would be expensive to ship.

I tried calling a local shelter, but they won't take frozen or refrigerated pet food. Our vet didn't have any ideas.

Surely somebody could use some of this fancy weird pet food before it goes bad. Preferably a shelter or a foster or somewhere that really needs it, but if I can't find one of those, I'd settle for just saving a fellow pet owner some money.

Who do I call? How do I find places that might take this? Do any local (Pittsburgh area) goons want some raw cat food?

Specifics: it's Darwin's Natural Pet Food, the 8 oz packs. We have 14 chicken and 6 turkey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Try smaller independent rescues near you. FB groups are a good resource to find them. You might get lucky and find someone who feeds Darwins. I fed my cats Darwins for a long time and they did great on it, but it was nerve-wracking having to depend on the shipments (one of which was stolen from my porch!) I hope you find someone to take it!

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
It may be because there isn't a seal on the food. The fresh food that I've seen doesn't have one.

Try a no kill shelter in your area