Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
I was cleaning out some drawers and came across an old iPad 2 32gb (A1397). I totally forgot this thing existed. It has been off for probably 5+ years. I think that OS9 is the last supported version for this. My 5 year old thinks it is cool and wants to use it. She has an Amazon Fire that she uses currently. I just bought a 30 pin charger from Amazon for like $7 because I am curious to see what is even on it.

Will this just be garbage for all intents and purposes or is it capable of doing basic web surfing? I highly doubt that it is even updated to OS9. Will it still update to that version automatically when powered up?

Sorry. I am pretty naive when it comes to Apple products aside from iPhones.

The processor is an Apple A5 1.0 GHz dual core and ram is 512 MB.

drunkb fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Yeah, it should still update to the latest compatible iOS if you try. As far as apps downloading I've seen some old Apple devices download to the latest eligible version okay. Then others can be a little annoying to get working. You might have to uninstall/reinstall them.

The experience will be very random depending on what apps you try to use. Some apps still work okay on very old iOS versions (much older than 9) and others won't work at all. You'll get a message to update to the latest version but then the Apple store will say you need a newer iOS. So you're stuck in a loop.

Some web sites will load fine but others won't load at all and some will work only partially.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 27, 2022

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist

Zogo posted:

Yeah, it should still update to the latest compatible iOS if you try. As far as apps downloading I've seen some old Apple devices download to the latest eligible version okay. Then others can be a little annoying to get working. You might have to uninstall/reinstall them.

The experience will be very random depending on what apps you try to use. Some apps still work okay on very old iOS versions (much older than 9) and others won't work at all. You'll get a message to update to the latest version but then the Apple store will say you need a newer iOS. So you're stuck in a loop.

Some web sites will load fine but others won't load at all and some will work only partially.

Thanks! That might make it worth it just to try. I really have nothing to lose except the 7bux for the charger. I will report back when nothing works and I can’t remember the password after I plug it up.

drunkb
Aug 14, 2009

The Great Twist
It booted up just fine and I reset the device. No new apps have installed yet, but Chrome works just fine for surfing the net. The OS updated to 9.3.6 by itself as well. I will mess around getting anything installed later.

E: I have installed seven kids learning apps without issue just now.

drunkb fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Feb 28, 2022