Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I'll start off with noting that I'm still working on a writeup and up until this morning, I was ready to post a different film. In light of current events, I felt it was important to choose this film instead.

Shadows of Forgotten Ancestors
directed by Sergei Parajanov
Originally released 1965

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLZe3muQfss
(Nice DVD rip with English subtitles - working on getting a 1080p version for caps)

While it's technically a Soviet film, it's entirely in Ukrainian, based upon a Ukrainian novel, and starring largely Ukrainian actors. It's somewhat of a polar opposite of Parajanov's next film The Color of Pomegranates where static, icon-inspired shots are exchanged for a constantly moving camera and often expressionistic use of color. This film is a bit special to me because it was one of the first subtitled films I had ever seen and I was in awe of the visual element.

This is one of the most beautiful films ever made and I'd recommend people check it out while a more substantial treatment is underway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
One of the greatest fuckin' movies of all time. Got to see it in 35mm a few years back and it was a transcendent theatrical experience. Lose yourself to this Carpathian fairy tale and don't look back.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Definitely checking this one out.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Made time for this today and wow that was incredible.

The camera was nuts there's so much movement it was dizzying at times.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
This film was an experience, very dreamlike at times. I loved the costumes and music especially.