Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
how is everyone doing this evening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I got layed off yesterday and I don't have enough money to pay my lawyer for my custody hearing next month. good times. yours is worse though, buddy. Sorry to hear that.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i'm doing pretty good op. gonna go pick up food and then eat it at my parents' house

sorry about ur dad

Valko
Sep 18, 2015
The exact same thing has happened to my brother. If the title of this thread is serious then you have my sympathies. It's not going to get any easier.

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
Sad. TBI sucks.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Valko posted:

It's not going to get any easier.
You don't know that, lots of people make a full recovery from very severe TBI

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry to hear that. My uncle got drunk, tried to ride a bicycle, crashed and lost hearing in an ear.

Alcohol is not great in my family.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

feelix posted:

You don't know that, lots of people make a full recovery from very severe TBI

The brain injury isn't what worries me, It's the continued alcoholism. I am truly amazed that my brother is still alive. He wouldn't be unless he had the rest of us looking out for him.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Valko posted:

The brain injury isn't what worries me, It's the continued alcoholism. I am truly amazed that my brother is still alive. He wouldn't be unless he had the rest of us looking out for him.

That makes sense and is applicable to the OP. Sorry about that.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Buy him an account

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

sucks i got hit by a car while riding my bicycle a few years ago and "luckily" went flying and landed on my face and got pretty decent concussion. no lasting brain damage but for 3 months i was actually more dumber, then had a had a hard time concentrating, then weird anger issues and other weird things for upwards of a year, etc. hard to deal with because you are just being yourself when it happens. i feel good now though, probably more chill than i used to be. still have PTSD about cars running stop signs, at yet i still cycle and motorcycle daily.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Valko posted:

The brain injury isn't what worries me,

Man you know poo poo is rough when a sentence begins with that

Dial911
Mar 18, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY LORD AND SAVIOR!!!

Valko posted:

Maybe it will counteract the brain injury?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

wait how long have sid's kids had accounts

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Lotsa people have brain damage why it's practically a prerequisite to post here! My condolences op

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

i got a flat tire fixed at a store and then immediately had the plug fail so im going to just have to get it replaced. also im p worried about the economy.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

You don't have to be crazy to post here... but it helps!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Sorry about your dad, OP. Unless you didn't like him, in which case I'm indifferent

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Man you know poo poo is rough when a sentence begins with that

Dial911 posted:

My brother is in his mid thirties and he is supposed to be taking more pills than both my parents combined. He disappeared today without taking his medication or eating breakfast. He'll probably wander home sometime in a few hours with a 3 litre bottle of nasty cider and a litre of cheap vodka. Then we just wait until he's too sick to drink and inject buccolam into his mouth when the withdrawal seizures kick in.

How powerful an addiction is alcoholism? My brother also smokes - if he had a limited amount of money he would choose alcohol over tobacco.

I'm sorry, OP. I not really trying to hijack your thread. I just needed to... unload I suppose.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
im taking this month off alcohol to lose some weight and train for a big bike ride next month :munch:

sdasdas
Dec 29, 2012

Valko posted:

My brother is in his mid thirties and he is supposed to be taking more pills than both my parents combined. He disappeared today without taking his medication or eating breakfast. He'll probably wander home sometime in a few hours with a 3 litre bottle of nasty cider and a litre of cheap vodka. Then we just wait until he's too sick to drink and inject buccolam into his mouth when the withdrawal seizures kick in.

How powerful an addiction is alcoholism? My brother also smokes - if he had a limited amount of money he would choose alcohol over tobacco.

I'm sorry, OP. I not really trying to hijack your thread. I just needed to... unload I suppose.

drat that's rough, my father was an alcoholic I know dealing with it really sucks. I think it's actually one of the toughest addictions because that mild feeling of euphoria it gives is really attractive to people suffering from depression and can act as an escape for them. Also the withdrawals are life-threatening so quitting requires real planning and willpower.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Sorry man, when I drink too much I usually pass out on the couch and wake up with the dog licking my feet. But I already have brain damange so w/e

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Sounds like a lucky version of Trevor Moore. Not by much though.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

we already knew brain damage runs in your family via your posting op

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

hi i have an uncle this happened to except i am not sure about brain damage. i just know he got drunk, fell, "busted his head" and had to go the hospital. he did stop drinking for a while but now he is back to getting blackout drunk on scotch every night and he is into vaccine conspiracies now.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
Sorry about your dad's brain OP, maybe it can be rewired, brains are pretty crazy at fixing themselves.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Are you sure it happened in that order?

Giraffe
Dec 12, 2005

Soiled Meat

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

:discourse:

YarPirate
May 17, 2003
Hellion
I got brain damage cuz for some reason I stopped breathing in the night (asthma or sleep apnea idk) which stopped my heart for 10-15 minutes and got to have chest compressions and get shocked but on the bright side I had to go back to work a little over a month after cuz they'd cut my health insurance.

I used to be able to type pretty fast which was nice but now my right hand spasms a bunch so I am down to like 40wpm.

Tell ur dad to hang in there. It doesn't get better after like a couple months but don't say that to him obvs.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Dial911 posted:

During the long healing phase after brain injury, when the brain is trying to rewire itself to use non-damaged parts to take over the functions of the damaged parts (dead brain cells remain dead) is about the worst possible time to drink or use recreational drugs at all, as they'd seriously interfere with it.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Huh that explains a lot lol

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Chief McHeath posted:

Buy him an account

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

BigBadSteve posted:

During the long healing phase after brain injury, when the brain is trying to rewire itself to use non-damaged parts to take over the functions of the damaged parts (dead brain cells remain dead) is about the worst possible time to drink or use recreational drugs at all, as they'd seriously interfere with it.

I think this gives the wrong mental image.

But when I try to go "what's better?" I am immediately reminded of overclocking with pencils.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
A soapy shower worries my brain for some slapstick with my feet after a night out.

The untold story of equilibrium and contusion.

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
But what is your excuse, OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
That sucks. My dad once fell down the stairs with a cup of vodka which resulted in a shard of glass in his neck and he bled a lot. Everyone one else wanted to have him lay down until ems arrived and I had to tell them off and sit him up while holding the glass with a rag. Anyways he died like 5 years later from cirrhosis and that's my drunk dad story.