Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

It’s weird, I’m not particularly good at games but I never found Hollow Knight to be that difficult. Like you do die during boss fights obviously but it’s nowhere near as punishing as Cuphead or like 80% of the SNES library

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the "80%" bit gives you away, it's a game designed by and for people who have logged hours and hours playing similar twitch-focused games that are (this is the important part) more forgiving

e: on second thought maybe "more forgiving" isn't the important part, and the hours and hours are. in any case, there isn't really any thought in the design to the possibility that it might be someone's first action game

Gazpacho fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 13, 2022

Schlong Connery
Jan 20, 2014

Pika-Chew
I never beat the true final boss, as the palace part was too much for me, and I never went back to it after getting into other things.
I still think you could make an argument for it being the best of it's sub-genre. The art style and animation is beautiful. Really cute too. And the gameplay is super tight, so even though it gets hard, everything feels surmountable

SOtN takes the crown for me though. I love the rpg elements and monsters. I finally played Aria of Sorrow this year and it was very good, but still not on the same level. A couple of the DS ones are also great.
Bloodstained comes close as well, but visually it's the opposite of HK in that it looks totally hideous, but the gameplay scratches that Symphony itch so nicely.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
hollow knight so far doesn't feel as difficult as, say, Celeste or Demon's Souls for example

but it does very much depend on you having played a bunch of games before. that's not a bad thing. but it's like... it's like finnegan's wake or the third policeman. if you haven't played a bunch of metroids and castlevanias and many other iconic games, hollow knight i suspect would be insanely inscutable, though also eventually solvable

its like an advanced level game in that way. it depends on the player being very versed in the language of games

but yeah the raw difficulty is very manageable, mostlyl because the controls are so tight and everything is so well designed

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

precision posted:

i just lost 1000 geo :mad:

i was about to buy the stupid key too :mad:

i hate this stupid game :mad:

You should give geo to the bank bug. It will keep it safe.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Schlong Connery posted:

I never beat the true final boss, as the palace part was too much for me, and I never went back to it after getting into other things.
I still think you could make an argument for it being the best of it's sub-genre. The art style and animation is beautiful. Really cute too. And the gameplay is super tight, so even though it gets hard, everything feels surmountable

SOtN takes the crown for me though. I love the rpg elements and monsters. I finally played Aria of Sorrow this year and it was very good, but still not on the same level. A couple of the DS ones are also great.
Bloodstained comes close as well, but visually it's the opposite of HK in that it looks totally hideous, but the gameplay scratches that Symphony itch so nicely.

The White Palace can gently caress right the hell off. Yeah, I beat it (using a combination of charms that make it much easier to restore health between separate platforming sections) but I didn't like it. Hell was the king thinking, filling that place with buzzsaws?

I went back there because I heard there's a hidden section called "The Path Of Pain". I took one look at the start of it and, nope, turned around and left.

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Blurry Gray Thing posted:

The White Palace can gently caress right the hell off. Yeah, I beat it (using a combination of charms that make it much easier to restore health between separate platforming sections) but I didn't like it. Hell was the king thinking, filling that place with buzzsaws?

I went back there because I heard there's a hidden section called "The Path Of Pain". I took one look at the start of it and, nope, turned around and left.

The path of pain was the most satisfying waste of a day to finish. My left thumb was sore for the next 48h.

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Ender lilies was pretty good and it wasn't too hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh man i did a few things!!

i found the mantis town... i flipped all the switches but i haven't fought the mantis lords yet bcuz my buddy told me i should go get my bug sword sharpened and now i have the wall jump i can follow Hornet to the town

but first i went and bought the key to unlock the hut... lmao i didnn't know that was such a minor optional thing, oh well

i found the Fragile Charm vendor

i finally got an extra life thing... got a bunch of charms

heck yeah this game owns

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

precision posted:

oh man i did a few things!!

i found the mantis town... i flipped all the switches but i haven't fought the mantis lords yet bcuz my buddy told me i should go get my bug sword sharpened and now i have the wall jump i can follow Hornet to the town

but first i went and bought the key to unlock the hut... lmao i didnn't know that was such a minor optional thing, oh well

i found the Fragile Charm vendor

i finally got an extra life thing... got a bunch of charms

heck yeah this game owns

Did you put your money in the bank? You gotta find the bank. You're taking huge risks, just walking around with all your money unbanked like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
oh yeah i rescued the grumpy old knight haha he is awesome and my friend

edit: it feels like Hornet should be friends. :( i hope later we can be friends