Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Henchman of Santa posted:

I dunno, he did a European tour but it’s not like he was playing arenas. I see him as famous in the same way that like, Freddie Gibbs is famous. Enough to earn a good living, but not a superstar.

Well, I think he said he had just done an arena tour in the Young White Avatar episode with the point being that he was probably peak/post-peak. To be fair, going off of that episode I assumed that he was doing well but was also pissing away a lot of money. In the season opener conversation with Darius he mentions that he's been flying places on a whim and that he's bored with it. Same point as New Jazz where Alfred just wasn't really paying attention to his money and he realized that he probably should.

But it was always kind of a fuzzy problem. Even back in Season 2 I remember having that issue judging how bad Earn was doing managing him. I remember saying at the time that we didn't have a good feel on whether it was reasonable for him to expect Earn to get him a track on the Black Panther soundtrack, or whether he had enough juice to just blow off that marketing company that he didn't want to humor.

Then again, jokes about it all being a dream aside, the point is that he's famous enough and rich enough for whatever the season calls for :shrug:.

Comedy option that he blew up for a year or so because Clark County died on the first tour (there's a R.I.P. Clark County card in the collage title screen for New Jazz) and Paper Boi stepped up to fill in and got famous that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

lol I wish I would’ve caught that RIP card live, that is a hilarious background detail.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
uhh, holy loving poo poo. I had no idea about that lmao. guess that answers that!!!!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Haha yeah I completely missed that. I guess not having around his gun-toting manager who loved guns so much he just had to have a gun on him all the time came back to bite him on the rear end!

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, i can't claim to have caught it either. Saw it linked somewhere, maybe here :).

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtlantaTV/comments/ul5hhq/full_view_of_the_clark_county_tribute/ in the top right corner.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Yeah, i can't claim to have caught it either. Saw it linked somewhere, maybe here :).

https://www.reddit.com/r/AtlantaTV/comments/ul5hhq/full_view_of_the_clark_county_tribute/ in the top right corner.
Aw drat that's amazing.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Catching up. Just watched The Goof That Sat By The Door and I feel like such a chump, but there's something about the combination of hand drawn animation and generic sad music that tickles the sad part of my brain -- even though the episode was at least 40% trolling.

I'm surprised Disney let them get away with something so pointedly allegorical, particularly just before Wakanda Forever came out. "He was offered 75 thousand dollars..." / "We offered him 75 million dollars". Yeah right.

"Who ordered the white rice? (...) I didn't get it." lmfao.

Problematic Pigeon
Feb 28, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm surprised Disney let them get away with something so pointedly allegorical, particularly just before Wakanda Forever came out. "He was offered 75 thousand dollars..." / "We offered him 75 million dollars". Yeah right.

I'm pretty sure the joke is that they really did offer 75 million, but he told his family they lowballed him because if he told the truth, they'd think he was a dumbass.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Same, I’m sure that was the intention

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assumed it was part of the episode's narrative about the struggles of a black creative to succeed in a space that was inherently opposed to him based on race, and so I read it as part of that critique. I dunno, I'll have to rewatch.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i saw this article title and got excited to hear some words from the man behind the magic but it's just a tiny little snippet or two, still gonna Post

Goofy Movie Director Reacts To That Incredible Atlanta Episode About The 'Making' Of The Film [Exclusive]

quote:

"I'm guessing that [Donald] loved it when he was a kid. I'm just guessing — and I'm supposed to talk to him. I have a friend of a friend. There have been a couple of videos online that people have made calling it like 'The Blackest Disney Film Ever Made.' I've watched a couple of those things just to get a sense. The Black community just adores the movie and takes ownership of it in a big way. So I'm sure it's the perfect storm of all of those things. And then I figured FX is owned by Disney. So there's that little connection there."

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
it’s season 4 rewatch day

the most atlanta - such a “we’re back!” mission statement after the globetrotting of 3. a trio of hilarious storylines that define everything this show does better than any other. Earl was such a perfect choice for Blueblood. that whole storyline would probably have been a Darius thing in season 2 but giving it to Al ties it in nicely with the legacy stuff in the d’angelo episode

homeliest lil horse - lol first thing you see the airport ticket lady do is spy suspiciously on her black neighbour. Al is not very nice about therapy! Earn’s therapist is a very good character and I love the portrayal of their relationship. the Princeton story is so good and has to be based on something that happened to one of the writers or someone they know. this time it seems clear that the ticket lady’s bullshit dampened the beakthrough Earn had during the Princeton story session that going through with attending the panel would have solidified and that was one of the reasons he took such elaborate revenge (all of which is funny as hell). a lot in this ep also shows that he’s thinking of Van as his actual family already. the character stuff in this season is intertwined very nicely

lana del ray born 2 die - ask at gunpoint this is probably my pick for worst season 4 episode. I think part of that is the weird disconnect where Paper Boi is now considered getting over the hill as an artist and in the mentor period, as well as Earn being randomly junior in a firm despite being the manager of a hugely successful artist. the yodel kid stuff is funny but far from the strongest satire the show has given us and I guess it’s a similar thing with D’Angelo, funny and weird and great, just not top-tier in my opinion. “it’s not about what feels good, it’s about what survives”

light skinnededed - this one’s just damned funny. feels like this season’s Barbershop (especially because both were written by Stefani Robinson). aunt jeanie is a comedic whirlwind. honestly I think the hat looks pretty good

weed allergies hitting me hard today for some reason

mr chocolate - “but sir, the post department has been begging us to fix it in pre.” the satire again is like not super hot all the time but it’s still hilarious overall and Glover is great. did you know Tyler Perry literally has a show called “Sistas”

crank dat killer - stone cold classic. not much else to say there. Stephen Glover’s style on full display in this one and the season premiere like Robinson’s is in light skinned-ed

more later

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could watch an entire season of Alfred on the Farm or Darius Shopping or Returning stuff.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Keyser_Soze posted:

I could watch an entire season of Alfred on the Farm or Darius Shopping or Returning stuff.

Want a spin-off with the barber from The Barbershop episode following his everyday life

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Escobarbarian posted:

light skinnededed - this one’s just damned funny. feels like this season’s Barbershop (especially because both were written by Stefani Robinson). aunt jeanie is a comedic whirlwind. honestly I think the hat looks pretty good

I kind of liked that she wasn't pushing some godawful hat on him. It honestly looked pretty good, just, you know, going to draw a lot of attention and jackass teens which isn't what a 9 AM mall walker/shopper wants.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
snipe hunt - what a flex like oh we can do normie quiet domestic drama poo poo just as well as hilarious afro-surrealism btw. kid who plays Lottie is fairly good for a child actor. very sweet and peaceful episode with maybe the show’s best photography. Glover really pulls off some killer performances this season and while Van doesn’t really have an arc besides “is pursued by Earn, continues to be a mother” Beetz nonetheless crushes it constantly

goof - no notes. I don’t really even know if this episode has any thematic depth or if it’s just a superb parody centred around “the goofy movie is pretty black, huh?” but it’s all so pitch-perfect. so much care taken in satirising the format and the guy who plays Washington is incredible. maybe not one of the shows opuses like I initially thought but still one of my favourite episodes

andrew wyeth, alfred’s world - Al sure does get into some scrapes. arguably the other competitor for most well-shot episode. turns out nature is pretty gorgeous after all! Hiro Murai is such an exciting director. did y’all see Station Eleven? this is the first episode where I really wanted more, not that it doesn’t have a complete satisfying arc but this ep could have easily been double the length and I wouldn’t have got bored. much more satisfying as a penultimate ep when you know they nail the finale like they do

it was all a dream - I gotta stop rewatching this episode when Popeyes is closed. extremely good finale, I’ll miss this show so much but what a gift to get two exceptional seasons in one year

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Al is not very nice about therapy! Earn’s therapist is a very good character and I love the portrayal of their relationship.

When the therapist revealed he was a musician and Earn asked him to play something for him, I found myself in a constant state of dread that all his good work was gonna be undone by asking Earn to give a copy of his music to Paper Boi or to his Agency or something, and I was so relieved that his,"Maybe later :)" was just a polite way of maintaining their professional boundaries and it never came up again.

LordoftheScheisse
Jan 16, 2016
This crack sandwich is good as HELL!

If I died today, I'd request this be put on my headstone.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Sometimes I'll randomly think about the scene in Season 2 when Earn had a foot race against Michael Vick outside of the club then the cut to Earn and Van sitting in the car and lol

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

He was so convinced he could take him :laugh:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

sticksy posted:

Sometimes I'll randomly think about the scene in Season 2 when Earn had a foot race against Michael Vick outside of the club then the cut to Earn and Van sitting in the car and lol

It's probably a top 3 joke in the whole show for me, alongside "it IS on the can" and "these do taste of Hot"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Aye Doc posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sRnBp4ufG8

i haven't watched this yet but the premise rocks and i threw it on my list to watch after work, figured some of you would enjoy too

thanks for this, its got some great insights. especially liked how they'd begin with a character's perspective and just see where that goes without thinking about how it ends or is received. that explains a lot of why there are so many episodes without the main cast or just one of them. real good choice

also darius was absolutely my favorite, lakeith stanfield is amazing. that scene with his brother in the finale, man

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

need to go back and do a rewatch this year

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t forget to vote in the TVIV best of 2022 poll, everyone! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4020189 let’s get Atlanta the good spot it deserves

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Just started S3 for the first time.

This show is scary! guys. I don't think a single episode has left me in any mood besides "vaguely disturbed"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

dongloverteaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVKxYKhSjZc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

looks interesting but I was really hoping he'd make a feature.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

huh i assumed it was a movie but i guess its a series

teaser looks great though. also dominique fishback has been excellent in everything ive seen her in

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WOW was not expecting one of his Prime projects to drop so soon, fuckin awesome

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

No idea what the show is about (I also assumed it was a movie) but if he's making it, I'm there watching it!

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It's a serial killer drama.

Very horny for that aspect ratio and that colour grading. I'm a terrible person but at least I'm honest.

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
Swarm drops in just a couple days. I was hoping we could just use this thread to talk about it until it, if it, gets it's own thread? I'm really excited for what they might do.

Also, apparently the whole season drops on a single day, so might make for a great binge watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Swarm thread https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027253