Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Some people in the Steam thread recommended Playnite and I'm giving it a try to put all my stuff in the same place. I'm posting this thread because the documentation is not great and I want to share the couple things I've learned in the last hour about configuring it.

First of all, there are third-party extensions. There may be one to do what you want it to do without manually configuring a lot of stuff. I haven't used any yet.

-Download from playnite.link

-Prompts will allow you to import installed games from various launchers. Choose to connect accounts so that you can include uninstalled games and have other functionalities. You'll do your 2FAs and stuff. If playnite says that your Steam profile is private, go to--of all fuckin things--"friends" in steam > edit profile name/avatar > privacy settings > and set ALL of those things to public. If you're taking this opportunity to install other game apps/launchers, don't bother to connect through another service, just create a new acct in the service itself.

-Pay attention if there's a "!" notification up top, something went wrong.

Emulation. That's something your storefronts' apps are not good with, but Playnite is meant for. Documentation, again, is not great here. Playnite is specifically well-integrated with certain emulators. I am trying multi-emulator Retroarch again, though it's given me problems before.

-Download from retroarch.com. I don't endorse the software, but we'll see. Tell it where to install, otherwise it will install in C/retroarch.

-Click load core > download cores. On your own here. For playstation, I've had controller trouble with PCSX, and audio trouble (windows don't know what to do with it when outputting to TV) with duckstation. Go to a third location to download a BIOS if it's an option for the emulator you use! Some emulators will be able to operate without it, but for me I had to rely on hard saves after messing up quick save states, and that didn't work until I later installed a BIOS. I'm sure other stuff works better too. Launch a game in retroarch to see if it works, then exit retroarch.

Do not use third party software to help your controller work with this setup until you are sure you need it.

-it might actually work best to just dump your ROMs in retroarch's root folder too, though ugly and not strictly necessary

-in Playnite go to library > import > scan folder and choose retroarch's root folder where the exe is. Scan the folder, you can't select the program itself.

-!!unclick "Hide imported" so you can see wtf you're doing? It didn't work till I did that and clicked import.

-go to library > configure emulators > auto-scan configurations and create a scan configuration, you choose a folder where ROMs are. After I did this, a rom loaded fine so I'm halfway there.

note: playnite can use IGDB to get cover art and stuff, for games including emulated, but apparently not icons. Put IGDB in the first slot in the art settings so that the itch.io games' cover art is the right aspect ratio.

-playnite needs to restart whenever you change anything significant, so do that as you're messing around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Fairly handy for keeping track of the thousands of games included in itch.io bundles. Did require a fair deal of effort:
https://itch.io/post/5569284

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Thanks for publicizing this and making a thread about it! It's slick as heck but my Steam games won't sync play time and it's annoying me way more than it logically should. I checked "Prioritize play time for supported libraries". I've refreshed My Steam profile has everything public except friends list and inventory. I've done "Update game library" plenty of times. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys

Lakitu7 posted:

Thanks for publicizing this and making a thread about it! It's slick as heck but my Steam games won't sync play time and it's annoying me way more than it logically should. I checked "Prioritize play time for supported libraries". I've refreshed My Steam profile has everything public except friends list and inventory. I've done "Update game library" plenty of times. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I figured this out. I needed to configure the API key, as if my account were set to private, even though it's not. When you register for an API key, you can enter any domain, supposedly, though I at least used one I own.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

I looks like playnite did not add my not currently installed steam games. Google says to make your profile public, which I have. I'm starting to think maybe API keys are sometimes necessary even with a fully public profile?

OKAY never mind I had a filter active--the funnel icon on the upper right

EDIT 2: here is how to get more icons if tons are missing! https://playnite.link/addons.html#SteamGridDB_Playnite_Metadata there may be other extensions, that didn't fix all of them for me

Mescal fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Mar 21, 2022