Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Charles Bukowski posted:

What's better, sonic spinball or pokemon pinball? I rented a gameboy to play the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Skeleton Ape posted:

Give me a purple dog

its sonic pitbull

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
seems weird sega made pinball machines but never a sonic pinball, just stuff like starship troopers and maverick instead. maybe yuji naka cried about it

nights into dreams is a terrible game

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib

Brother Tadger posted:

Just imagine Bog the Cat holding you in his big strong arms, never letting you go…

Kudos to Sega for having the guts in 1999 to have a "big ;)" character with an obvious developmental delay. That's what I call Win 😂

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Kudos to Sega for having the guts in 1999 to have a "big ;)" character with an obvious developmental delay. That's what I call Win 😂

Beffica
Apr 6, 2009

by Azathoth
Who needs pinball?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Does Sonic shampoo his head spikes?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I wanted this thread to be about spinball

I loved that game and was really good at it

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I wanted this thread to be about spinball

I loved that game and was really good at it

It can be

Go chase your dream

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
It already is about spinball, read the thread dude

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

This thread is about Sonic Pinball for the GBA, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ7aKdZkT0M

Edmund Sparkler posted:

Imagine how gross a Sonic ripoff of Pokemon would be.
Isn't this just those Chao things they tried to make a thing?

Dubplate Fire
Aug 1, 2010

:hfive: bruvs be4 luvs
I thought this was about spinball...

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Spinball is a state of mind

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Anyway I watched the new Sonic movie today and there was zero reference to the seminal classic Sega Genesis game Sonic Spinball

0/5 would not watch again

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

man, not even robotnick saying "smell my socks" while sonic rolls into a windsock? that was a missed opportunity for sure

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

where is sonic? he's been missing for two weeks

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Sonic's playing Sonic but Dr. Nick Robot is playing pokemon :thunk:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Dell_Zincht posted:

Anyway I watched the new Sonic movie today and there was zero reference to the seminal classic Sega Genesis game Sonic Spinball

0/5 would not watch again

YOUR AT A BAR YOU BETTER EAT A CHILI DOG GOD DAMNIT I WILL gently caress YOU UP. I had given up hope but then.... CHILI DOOOOOOOG.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Devils Affricate posted:

IMO the draw of the original 16 bit era games was more about the feeling of momentum the character had, and how angular momentum was preserved over curved ground. In Mario and pretty much every other platformer at the time you just move in the direction you press, but in Sonic it's more like manipulating a rolling ball.

you're right about most other platformers but lmao Mario has a fantastic sense of inertia, have you ever actually played it? half of the speedrunning tricks involve hitting walls while moving right and facing left because that was a thing you could do

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

there were no slopes until mario 3 and those you could really just slide down or crawl up. op's got a legit point

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

The only kid I knew who was really into sonic turned out extremely gay against his mom's wishes and married a diabetic man 20 years older than him and currently lives with 3 big smelly dogs (not a euphemism).

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Nooner posted:

i thoguht it was gonna be about spinball :saddowns:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

a sphere of finger hash: 'ponic sinball

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Rockman Reserve posted:

you're right about most other platformers but lmao Mario has a fantastic sense of inertia, have you ever actually played it? half of the speedrunning tricks involve hitting walls while moving right and facing left because that was a thing you could do

Mario games usually have 3 or 4 tiers of fixed movement speed that you work up to by running in the same direction for long enough. The game engine isn't actually calculating how fast you should be moving due to the player character's inertia, it's just keeping track of how long you've been running and bumping you to the next tier of speed accordingly. When you go airborne it more or less treats Mario as a proper physics object, but that's about the extent of it.

And again, the big difference here is with non-flat ground. Angular momentum is preserved along curves, whereas the closest analog in early Mario games is just that little red triangle dude that signals the game to make Mario go vertical as long as he has sufficient run speed. If you're standing on an incline in Super Mario you slide down it at a fixed rate if the grade is past a certain point, and stand still if it's under. In Sonic games the speed at which you slide down an incline depends on the grade of the incline.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

satanic splash-back posted:

The only kid I knew who was really into sonic turned out extremely gay against his mom's wishes and married a diabetic man 20 years older than him and currently lives with 3 big smelly dogs (not a euphemism).

New thread title

Yaldabaoth
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
The only "good" art of Sonic is the stuff made by people to mock it. Also, Tails Gets Trolled.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Knormal posted:

Isn't this just those Chao things they tried to make a thing?

They were more like Tomagachi's, but kinda yeah.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I don't know why Sonic had a crew. I think they were invented for the archie comics books or the cartoon or something. All i remember was Antoine the cowardly gfox and a rabbit that was a cyborg but it was never explained because I thought the animals wanted to live in peace with nature or some crap.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
vpin ballers with virtualpinball with MAME included.

gently caress it. make it your own, why not?

https://www.vpforums.org/

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I don't know why Sonic had a crew. I think they were invented for the archie comics books or the cartoon or something. All i remember was Antoine the cowardly gfox and a rabbit that was a cyborg but it was never explained because I thought the animals wanted to live in peace with nature or some crap.

bunnie rabbot was rescued from robotnik before her roboticization was complete, duh

they couldn’t deroboticize her even when they figured out the process and used it on uncle chuck and sonics parents cuz the initial roboticization went all hosed up so instead uncle chuck and nate morgan upgraded her cartoon rabbit robot legs to sexpot pinup gams

duh

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yaldabaoth posted:

The only "good" art of Sonic is the stuff made by people to mock it. Also, Tails Gets Trolled.

Can confirm

Ten years later, this guy is now the lead designer of the sonic movies

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Find me rings and crystals, echidna!

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

flavor.flv posted:

Can confirm

Ten years later, this guy is now the lead designer of the sonic movies

This is beauty.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

thought this was gonna be about https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sonic-the-hedgehog-spinball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Amy Rose and Knuckles weren't even in Sonic Spinball!

That's p. cool though, not gonna lie