Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

Rain World

What is Rain World?
Rain World is a survival platformer developed by Videocult and first published by Adult Swim Games in 2017. At it's core, the game has you take control of a small slugcat in a deeply inhospitable world, trying to find their family - but it's so much more than that. You are almost at the very bottom of the food chain, forced to live like an animal and fight against both the environment and competing organisms, all of whom are trying to achieve their own goals in a harsh and punishing climate.

The game at release makes few concessions for newcomers - it is difficult, it's controls take some getting used to and it's willingness to leave the player in the dark share a lot in common with Dark Souls, however this game shares a lot more DNA with games like Another World, and there's a lot more going on below the surface than initial impressions might give.

Rain?

Every 10-15 minutes, rain will begin to fall and pick up in intensity, so much so that those unable to seek appropriate shelter to hibernate are caught up in the sheer volume and killed - as a result, the basic gameplay loop consists of seeking out food to ensure a safe hibernation period, followed by exploration to find additional food sources and places to hibernate so that you can make progress through the world's gigantic zones. While this may seem harsh, it presents a satisfying gameplay loop where you'll rarely lose more than 10 minutes progress, and it creates a wonderful tension between pushing your known limits versus slow and steady.

Prey in a world of Predators

Slugcat is small and agile but not strong - and this isn't a game about accumulating power and brute forcing your way through the world. At it's heart, success in this game comes down to learning the environment, learning your own physical limits and learning the habits and behaviour of the world's procedurally generated populace. Rarely will the day be won by combat, but by either outrunning your pursuer, outsmarting them or simply introducing them to an even bigger predator. There's no RPG mechanics or stats, you grow by simply learning.

Isn't this game 5 years old?

It is, and I want to draw attention to it because A) this game is criminally overlooked for how good it is, and B) it is soon to receive a massive update in the form of the More Slugcats Expansion, developed by a dedicated team of modders who fell in love with the game and officially brought inhouse by the developers after a lengthy legal battle with the publisher for rights to the game. There is in fact a dev stream scheduled soon where we expect to see more information about the update as well as the release date:

https://twitter.com/riv_otter/status/1507493052868284419?s=20&t=90Ff97Nsv6il1uujdmQZKw

So what does MSC update?

http://eggzero.serv.pink/rainworld/web/web.html

from the website posted:

More Slugcats Expansion is a massive overhaul to Rain World that adds five new playable characters. Each has their own storyline, are unique in their abilites, and unique in their spot on the timeline. As a result, there is a lot of new content exclusive to each playthrough. There are new creatures, items, music, alternate endings, as well as 10 new regions spanning over more than a thousand new maps.

This expansion not only adds content, but tackles the base game as well, with quality of life gameplay and mechanical fixes, bug fixes, performance improvements, and other such tweaks and polish to address some of the frustrations that were cited by players and reviewers. It was made with love and passion by a community of Rain World fans who want to see the game equally loved and appreciated by a wider populace.

Characters

From the original game:

The Monk (Easy Difficulty) posted:

More in-tune with nature than the average slugcat. Enemies will be less numerous and less aggressive, and traversal through the game's checkpoints is easier. As a trade-off, he is physically weaker and less adept at combat.

The Survivor (Normal Difficulty) posted:

The classic Rain World Experience.

The Hunter (Hard Difficulty) posted:

Is a carnivore and must eat what it hunts to survive. Adapted to combat, it can carry a spear on it's back and deals more damage with the spears it throws. However, these benefits are not without their trade-offs: it requires more food to survive and it has a limited number of hibernation cycles in which to complete the game

Added in MSC:

The Rivulet posted:

Breathes underwater, and moves through the world with ease. These adaptations are essential, as you'll be pitted against a world of increasingly frequent floods, where time is of the essence.

The Gourmand posted:

An indulger of the simpler pleasures in life. Carrying the world in your stomach gives many tactical advantages, but comes at an increased cost of sustainability.

The Artificer posted:

A fierce combatant, master of pyrotechnics and explosives. Keen to move up in the foodchain, your journey will be one lined with constant bloodshed and warfare.

The Spearmaster posted:

An abnormality with no mouth, who feeds using needles pulled from its body. A traveller from a far away land; A feeling in your depths sets you out once again, messenger...

The Saint posted:

Frail and armed with a long tongue. Your journey will be one of perfect enlightenment, but walking this path requires patience, caution, and complete attunement with the world.

Where can I play this
This game is available on PC, PSN and Nintendo Switch, with a release to Xbox platforms planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I've had this on my Switch wishlist for forever... Am I right in thinking the MSC expansion would be PC only?

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

External Organs posted:

I've had this on my Switch wishlist for forever... Am I right in thinking the MSC expansion would be PC only?

It's not been formally stated yet but based off of it getting brought in house and that they're treating it as the next major update for Rainworld (as well as their words on ensuring update parity), I would assume it is coming to other platforms. I expect we'll know more this evening when they talk about it during the dev interview.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

LightReaper posted:

It's not been formally stated yet but based off of it getting brought in house and that they're treating it as the next major update for Rainworld (as well as their words on ensuring update parity), I would assume it is coming to other platforms. I expect we'll know more this evening when they talk about it during the dev interview.

Well hot drat! I'll keep my ears perked for news. Thanks for making the thread op!

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

External Organs posted:

Me too...I've never seen it go on sale.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Me too...I've never seen it go on sale.

Lol to say the least. I should just buy the stupid thing.

LightReaper
May 3, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77z9Pi9crSE

New trailer just dropped

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

:siren: Rain World is 50% off on the Switch eShop. :siren:

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Fricken finally!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i'm glad to have an excuse to get massively frustrated in the garbage pit & quit again :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
Rainworld has a few big frustrations (namely that it wants to teach all its mechanics diagetically but there are just enough complicated interactions that it can't quite pull that off) but it may legitimately be my favorite game of the past 5 or so years. It's just tremendously atmospheric, and once you get a handle on what you can pull off the Slugcat becomes very responsive and fun to control.

I hadn't heard about the upcoming expansion, but it sounds really compelling!