Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

this Gresham guy is cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Jonny Nox posted:

this Gresham guy is cool

he is REALLY SERIOUS about ROH

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
this has been my favorite scrum so far, just hearing everyone talk about how much wrestling means to them

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

thank you mic guy

clap clap clapclapclap

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
JOE

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Hey it's that guy!

I like that guy!

he's gonna kill you.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Tony so emphatic on how badly he wanted Joe lol

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Joe mentioning Owen Tournament oh poo poo

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

ROHthoughts

Preshow

1) Colt Cabana vs Blake Christian. Lovely return from ROH Colt. Goofy, bullying, so much fun. And on the other side, Blake as premium quality white meat babyface. Loads of fun flippy poo poo. Loads of neat reversals. Great stuff. Wish the crowd was more into it.

2) Miranda Alize vs AQA. Alize looks gook. AQA looks like a loving badass. Solid technical start to near silence, but they start to get the crowd with a great armdrag duel. Alize has so much character here compared to her AEW matches. That kneeling rana was a... poor decision. This match starts to lose its energy after a while, but everything in it works. Absolutely PERFECT shooting star press from AQA. This was good. AQA could be a force.

Foundation interviewed. Rhett Titus is skinnier than I was expecting. None of these guys are what I would call a superb interview.

3) Eli Isom and Cheeseburger vs ??? Shinobi Shadow Squad. Tully's new clients are... Kaun and Toa Liona, the Gates Of Agony. These guys are huge and look great. Big violent moves. Kaun has a great big guy frame and can use it. Toa is a bit clumsy. This is a squash, but there's something to build on here.

4) Joe Hendry vs Dalton Castle. Joe Hendry needs to drop some of the cheesy poo poo from his shtick. I'm seeing double: FOUR Boys? One Boy has a mullet. Nice tenacious start. I want more of a sense that these guys hate each other. Things heat up as the match goes on. Castle gets, and deserves, the win. Good poo poo.

All right, time for the actual show.

1) Alex Zayne vs Swerve Strickland. Zayne has murdered and skinned a muppet to be here today. God, Swerve is so great. Just smooth poo poo even when Zayne is being chaotic. For a match between flippy dudes there is a lot of really good striking here. Liked this match a lot.

2) Ninja Mack vs ??? And the next member is... Brian Cage! Cool. Cage does some heavy squashing for a while. Mack has some lovely flippy spins and then dies horribly. Love Tully's beef stable.

3) Lee Moriarty vs Jay Lethal. Rooting for Lee so hard here. This is a main event match third on the card. I'm watching too much to comment excessively but I will say that this is the first match where the crowd got LOUD. When Lethal hits the low blow on Moriarty the place sounds like they want to murder him. Good match. GREAT story. Especially Lethal attacking Sydal post-match.

4) Willow Nightingale vs Mercedes Martinez. Willow is the most adorable wrestler in the world. Mercedes is genuinely terrifying. Looking forward to this. Some nice grappling to start. Willow showing iron. Wish the crowd was more into this because it rocks. Great looking Air Raid Crash from Martinez. What the gently caress that pounce! Willow is incredible, Mercedes is super strong. Oof, that moonsault was NOT good. They head to the end pretty quickly after that. Hope that Mercedes is okay.

5) FTR vs Briscoes. God, this match has such energy. No handshake. Tremendous and violent match. FTR might be mid turn in AEW, but they are heeling it the gently caress up here. Jesus, the juice is flowing. We're into the portion of the match where these boys are just sledging the poo poo out of each other. This is a genuinely superb tag match. Superb crawl fight at the end. And top guys do it. gently caress, that was good. Love the code of honor at the end.

And then the awful fuckass Young Bucks come out for NUCLEAR heat. Nice Dynamite heel work.

6) Minoru Suzuki vs Rhett Titus. I'll be honest, apart from enjoying Suzuki and being delighted he won, I kind of zoned out for this match. Rhett Titus just isn't very interesting.

7) Josh Woods vs Wheeler Yuta. This is my first Pure match. Love Yuta. Really want him to get better gear. Lovely technical work here. Reminded of some of the UWF rules matches we have in GLEAT, and also to an extent some of the World Of Sport matches. Crowd is quiet but respectful. Really different feel as a match. Woods is good, but Yuta is next level. Pin out of NOWHERE, and a new champ! Amazing.

8) Jonathan Gresham vs Bandido. Gresham is so loving cool. Bandido's black gear looks fantastic. Chavo blocking the handshake is absolute gold. Lots of fun stuff here. We start very technical, but Gresham is absolutely here for dropkicks and jumping offense. Bandido is incredibly slick. This is a hell of a sports-like contest. Gresham really is That Good at technical wrestling. Bandido really is That Good at giving things a big match feel. Chavo does some sneaky poo poo, which is what he's there for. Oh gently caress, the head-cuff to nip-up spot was beautiful. This is a goddamn main event. And the motherfuckin Octopus gets it. Absolutely incredible

Jay Lethal comes out as a dickbag. Sonjay Dutt breaks things up, and... heel sonjay! Excellent. Guess we have a starting feud. Wow what a great-

OH gently caress

JOE!

JOE IS BACK!

Jesus loving christ. What a perfect way to end the night.

This was a genuinely great professional wrestling show.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Very good show. Only thing I was disappointed in was Yuta winning but he’s a good wrestler so it’ll probably work itself out.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
i think yuta's got a hell of a career ahead of him (he's 25!!!!) and my only complaint about him winning that match would be if woods never showed up in roh/aew again

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

flatluigi posted:

i think yuta's got a hell of a career ahead of him (he's 25!!!!) and my only complaint about him winning that match would be if woods never showed up in roh/aew again

I'm pretty sure they see enough in Josh Woods to bring him back for stuff. I certainly do.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Lamuella posted:

I'm pretty sure they see enough in Josh Woods to bring him back for stuff. I certainly do.

oh yeah agreed

my main question coming off of supercard though is definitely 'how many of these people that haven't already made aew appearances (even on dark) are going to be sticking around' especially with how the match results generally went across the board. i'd hope most of them, but i could also see the end of people's ROH contracts being, yknow, the end of them being around ROH

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

flatluigi posted:

oh yeah agreed

my main question coming off of supercard though is definitely 'how many of these people that haven't already made aew appearances (even on dark) are going to be sticking around' especially with how the match results generally went across the board. i'd hope most of them, but i could also see the end of people's ROH contracts being, yknow, the end of them being around ROH

I feel like some of that is still up in the air behind the scenes and probably depends on what kind of deals Tony Khan can make on where to show ROH going forward. During the post-show scrum he was saying that they are still figuring that out but with the crowd they drew and the PPV buy projections he's seeing, things are looking strong for the future. He said they pretty much needed to hit a home run and he feels they did. So if he can get some kind of decent distribution deal, I imagine he'll have the budget to keep more of the ROH wrestlers around, but I can also totally understand wanting to get the belts onto AEW guys for the moment while they figure all that poo poo out and see what kind of money they're going to have.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I'm still glowing about this show. I'm so happy ROH is back and I'm so happy for everyone involved in this. I had high expectations for the show but those expectations were exceeded in amazing ways.

Briscoes/FTR was even better than I ever could have imagined and I love both teams so much that I seriously didn't care who won. The crowd was on fire the entire time and the nuclear heat the Bucks got was off the charts.

I went to a lot of ROH shows in the mid 2000s and even though they have a lighting budget and a video tron now the show still felt like an ROH show. Like others said it didn't feel like AEW 2.0 or a developmental promotion. It was its own self-contained environment and they didn't overuse AEW people.

I'm so hype to see where this goes especially with Joe back. You know his first goal is going to be Gresham and the world title and that match will be nuts when it happens.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Gresham vs Danielson now, please :colbert:

I will accept Blackpool Combat Club vs The Foundation or maybe Gresham/Joe/Moriarty as a first step

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

Ahem.

Samoa Joe.

Thank you and have a nice day.