Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

an esports game that had next to no esports investment, an advertisement that did not advertise the show currently airing, and a cancelled game that still saw active development and new content right up until the very end

gundam evolution was a game that defied common logic

And with how its release was timed, plus the praise it was picking up from some streamers at the time, it could have absolutely eaten Overwatch 2's lunch and what a loving wild timeline that would have been. I didn't really touch the game beyond the beta since arena shooters aren't really my jam, but goddamn we could be living in that world. Optimistic to be sure, but there was a clear path to achieving that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

they at least could've loving tried. everything was lined up for them to take a big slice of the overwatch pie if nothing else. it was released just ahead of OW2, streamers who played it all seemed to say "yeah i'm just doing it because i was paid to but this is actually really fun, i want to come back to this", and OW2's launch was a loving disaster. all the pins were lined up and bandai just dropped their bowling ball right in the gutter.

the core gameplay was legit great too i'm upset to see it die so ingloriously

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

yeah this one was entirely bamco choosing to grasp failure from the jaws of success

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

El Burbo posted:

gundam evo did not outlive kissinger

skill issue

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

all they had to do was not make all the content obscenely pay walled and fix matchmaking.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

What if Overwatch had waited like 7 months to nerf Bastion

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ninjewtsu posted:

they at least could've loving tried. everything was lined up for them to take a big slice of the overwatch pie if nothing else. it was released just ahead of OW2, streamers who played it all seemed to say "yeah i'm just doing it because i was paid to but this is actually really fun, i want to come back to this", and OW2's launch was a loving disaster. all the pins were lined up and bandai just dropped their bowling ball right in the gutter.

the core gameplay was legit great too i'm upset to see it die so ingloriously

Yeah, I don't think it would have had a shot at actually killing OW2 because OW had so much inertia behind it and people buy Blizzard games en masse no matter how lovely they've become for some reason, but it was positioned to be a viable niche alternative for a healthy audience of its own, like how Valorant and CS or Apex and Fortnite manage to exist at the same time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
There is absoloutely no parallel world were GEvo had a chance of beating OW2

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Apparently there are private servers rising from the ashes with 1600 games played among 4700 players so far

https://1379.tech/the-making-of-side-7-gundam-evolution-private-server-project/

Anyone tried this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I have not!