Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Eason the Fifth posted:

I know there are individual powers for each character, but keeping the weapon skills the same keeps me using the same effective approach every time (silenced rifle).

Yeah, pigman seems to be geared towards melee with his armor ability and the ground pound but why bother with melee when I have a fully upgraded rifle?

Maybe each character should only be able to use one or two weapon types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Funny thing about shop restocking. Someone earlier mentioned that the shops were restocking for them so they ran out of ammo completely.
Shops are supposed to constantly restock BUT if you sell too much trash then their shelves will be full and they will physically not be able to restock because they don't have any storage space.

Developers confirmed that it's a bug and it'll be fixed at a later point.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

lunar detritus posted:

Finally got to the end of the bounty hunter and I wish there were more differences in the abilities of each character. I'm not seeing a lot to convince me to not just go stealth rifle again and nothing else.

Without exaggeration you can easily complete the entire game with only ever spending an ability point into Sentry Silencer

Since I'm on the subject, I did beat this game the other day; my short take on it is: worth playing, don't try to completionist it because it will wear out its welcome by the fourth or fifth character, and its buggy as hell so maybe play it on gamepass or wait for a sale or patches.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

fast cars loose anus posted:

Without exaggeration you can easily complete the entire game with only ever spending an ability point into Sentry Silencer

On the final character I couldn't get my old nimp relics for Reasons so I literally didn't buy a single ability for them. Bullettime-dodgeroll and a revolver is all you need.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

This is a great thread about mechanics in the game we'll never see because we're too busy killing everything with a rifle.

https://twitter.com/joewintergreen/status/1510852355172204544

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I think there is a tooltip about that, but it's a nice little touch. I had my rear end saved from some Minecrawlers due to a sudden rainstorm once; also makes killing tree roots a bit of a pain but not too much of one.

Anyway, so zombies huh?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Immersive sim really doens't feel like it applies to this game. It's just a simple indie action combat game with a weird setting. I'm real disappointed tbh.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Agent355 posted:

Immersive sim really doens't feel like it applies to this game. It's just a simple indie action combat game with a weird setting. I'm real disappointed tbh.

What perspective are you talking from here?
"Not enough interlocking mechanics to be an immersive sim" or "Not immersive enough to be an immersive sim"?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Agent355 posted:

It has the 0451 code. It’s an isim.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I just played through the bounty hunter portion today and yeah calling it an immersive sim feels a little weird to me too. Like I can see the influence but I don't feel like it tells me much about what the game actually is when it's defined so broadly.

If I bought the game I don't know that I'd be super excited about it (though to be fair it's not a full price game), but as a game pass game I can drop for a while and play more parts later I thought it was a pretty solid way to spend part of my weekend.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Bugfix and content patch out:

quote:

Melee Lethal Stealth Take Down
You can now one-shot stealth kill unaware NPC with your melee weapon so you can feel more like an Assassin, in case knocking out and not killing your enemies is not your thing!

Blunt Weapons Non-Lethal Knock Out
If you are more of a non-lethal player, we have also made it so that blunt weapons (shovel, clubs) but also kick and fists now knock out people when taking them to 0 HP, rather than killing them, so you have more way to get out of combat without murdering them all!

New Projectile Aiming System
Found it difficult to throw dynamites and other weapon projectiles where you want? We have totally revamped the projectile system so you now freely control with the mouse or gamepad stick the exact position where you will throw the projectile. Projectile speed and arc were also tuned to make it easier to throw them through doors and windows!

Weapon Scrapping Mode
Finding Scrapping weapons fastidious? You can now scrap all weapons at once via the new scrap menu and even better.. you can also scrap directly the ones in your Companions or Horse inventory from there!

Posse Inventory UI Overhaul
Instead of using the "container browsing" it will be now a pausing-UI

What's next?

After Patch 1.02 we will turn our attention toward... patch 1.03 (Shocker!) which, as far as new features and feature changes goes will be heavily focused on a full game economy and player & difficulty progression overhaul and a strong pass on AI, Stealth and Companions. We are also experimenting with an alternative aiming system so stay tuned for more on that... although first.. let's release Patch 1.02 :)

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Oh that reminds me, I submitted a bug report a few weeks ago and recently got an email from the devs with a game key for another devolver game as a thank you. That was pretty cool of them.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Warbird posted:

Oh that reminds me, I submitted a bug report a few weeks ago and recently got an email from the devs with a game key for another devolver game as a thank you. That was pretty cool of them.

I got that, too! My bug report was half-joking but also a legitimate bug/oversight - Snack's corpse is given the name "Villager" after the sheriff eats his brain, and I said that he doesn't deserve to lose his name just because he died, no matter what his opinion on the matter might be.

Because of that, I now own Gato Roboto.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

That's pretty cool. And Gato Roboto seems like a neat little game.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
This was not an easy thread to find.

I picked this game up the other day, been playing it some. I'm enjoying it a good bit, but I am hot garbage at the combat. The whole top-dow twin stick shooting (or whatever this would be considered) stuff. I am getting a little better at it, very slowly, but I'm still having to play on Story simply because they wipe the floor with me at any higher setting. And like, I do have party members and am leveling and stuff. I just suck.

Any tips would be nice but tbh I've watched a lot of stuff about tips and all that and at this point I'm p sure it's mostly just a me problem.

I just stock waaaay up on ammo, cause I know about 45% of my shots will miss and another 45% is bound to hit an obstacle (i am *especially* bad about not being able to tell whether someone is behind full cover or not)

But like, i reiterate: I really am enjoying the game, even though I am very bad at it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Any tips would be nice but tbh I've watched a lot of stuff about tips and all that and at this point I'm p sure it's mostly just a me problem.

There's a button that can turn on slowmotion. It's unbound by default but if you go into keybind menu you can bind it to something.
That should help a lot. You can take your time aiming. The enemy also gets highlighted if you're actually aiming at them too, just in case you haven't noticed.

You can also get some Feats that upgrade your allies and hire a gang to do combat for you.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Jack Trades posted:

There's a button that can turn on slowmotion. It's unbound by default but if you go into keybind menu you can bind it to something.
That should help a lot. You can take your time aiming. The enemy also gets highlighted if you're actually aiming at them too, just in case you haven't noticed.

You can also get some Feats that upgrade your allies and hire a gang to do combat for you.

Something I didn't mention, and that does make a difference, I guess, is that I am on PS5 and only have that controller as an option. I know it definitely makes *some* difference, because I keep accidentally grabbing civilians by the neck just because the right trigger is so sensitive that I don't realize I'm pressing it at all. I've had to reload my game twice because of doing that by accident. First time I just did my jail sentence.

Either way I'll see if there is a way to make the slow-mo easier like you suggested. I don't even know how to trigger bullet time--I forgot since the tutorial and have only done it by accident since lmao (I'll check that tutorial too when I mess with the options)

Lastly, yeah, didn't think about the fact that there's that posse leader perk or whatever that upgrades gang members. Thanks for reminding me there

Edit: or, feat, whatever

Edit 2: yeah it's a little more complicated on controller cause there's a lot of "hold [button] and [button] while [action], then press [button]" and poo poo that I'm sure probably has a dedicated key on mouse and keyboard. This game was def made with PC in mind, and I wish I had that option, but alas. Not the first game like that I've played and loved, likely not the last

Terra-da-loo! fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Jun 7, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Terra-da-loo! posted:

Something I didn't mention, and that does make a difference, I guess, is that I am on PS5 and only have that controller as an option. I know it definitely makes *some* difference, because I keep accidentally grabbing civilians by the neck just because the right trigger is so sensitive that I don't realize I'm pressing it at all. I've had to reload my game twice because of doing that by accident. First time I just did my jail sentence.

Either way I'll see if there is a way to make the slow-mo easier like you suggested. I don't even know how to trigger bullet time--I forgot since the tutorial and have only done it by accident since lmao (I'll check that tutorial too when I mess with the options)

Lastly, yeah, didn't think about the fact that there's that posse leader perk or whatever that upgrades gang members. Thanks for reminding me there

Edit: or, feat, whatever

Sorry, don't have any controller-specific but the way to trigger slowmotion normally is to aim and press the dodge button, that makes you do a slowmo leap that lets you shoot super fast without having to reload, Max Payne style.
It's the combat bruteforce-er.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.

Jack Trades posted:

Sorry, don't have any controller-specific but the way to trigger slowmotion normally is to aim and press the dodge button, that makes you do a slowmo leap that lets you shoot super fast without having to reload, Max Payne style.
It's the combat bruteforce-er.

Appreciated. :) I swear I my brain isn't entirely smooth.

Terra-da-loo!
Apr 6, 2008

Sufficiently kickass.
Also

Jack Trades posted:

The enemy also gets highlighted if you're actually aiming at them too, just in case you haven't noticed.

I honestly hadn't. Thanks. I see it now and it seems very obvious, but totally missed it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Got back into this after playing Shadow Tactics and realizing I wanted something with more freedom. (Never finished Weird West the first time; I over-explored with the first character and got burnt out by the third.)

I'm enjoying it a lot more after a few patches and some gameplay tweaks. I'm still really impressed with how all the little systems work together (like lightning rounds electrocuting enemies in water) or have follow-on effects (like gently caress-you-hard-to-kill zombies repopulating a bandit town I depopulated in a previous mission). Exploring almost always turns up something valuable when you're stressed for resources in the early game, but can become a chore pretty quick. Steath/sniper is still the least-fun way to play because it trivializes so much content. The new Alternative Aiming System (togglable) and the "Slow-mo While Aiming" (a four-selection slider), combined with tactical mode, makes the combat a lot more intuitive than the old system for me (but the "slow-time" power is almost completely superfluous now due to the new combat settings). I've found the game a lot more enjoyable now the less quick-loading I do, even after resource-intensive fights. Edit: There's also a new "Nimpossible" iron-man permadeath mode with limited resurrections that might be fun but I'm not good enough at the game to even consider trying my patience with it. There's also a reputation tab now that keeps track of your kills, tracks the friends you make who might "Mysterious Stranger" themselves to help when you're getting whooped in combat, and tracks the enemies you make who might come after you with vendettas. It's an okay idea that negates the "Wait, who are you again?" question when some random side-quest guy you forgot about a week ago comes out shooting, but doesn't necessarily add much to the game so much as it tries to make the player aware of a system already there.

I mentioned it a long time ago but the writing still shines in a couple of areas and has a great Blood Meridian-esque "horrors of the brutal west" vibe. Some parts are genuinely creepy. That said, I'd love a game with similar gameplay in a different setting and with a different (probably lighter) tone. The evil west vibe is compelling (and comparatively unique, at least compared to the heaps of generic fantasy/cyberpunk output from the gaming industry) but it isn't always exactly enjoyable. There is also a first-person mod now by one of the original developers that a lot of people have praised but I'm an invert-mouse shithead and the FPS mode only works un-inverted, and trying to break the inverted habit absolutely bluescreens my video game brain for like a whole day. Here's the tech overview by the dev:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNskDpRj6IA

Anyway, the "Definitive Edition" (which basically means "final build, no more patches") is $10 on the Steam sale, and I feel like I should advocate for it because I cared enough about the game to make a thread and because even if this isn't my favorite game in the world or anything, I enjoyed it decently enough, and I'm happy to support Wolfeye because they're old Arkane folks, and I want to see more games like this being made. Xaris's post upthread still solidly highlights the negatives of the game, so that's worth reading if you haven't bought it yet and you're on the fence (though some of the issues have been patched out). But I'd say for :10bux: it's a pretty great return and you'll get your money's worth.

Eason the Fifth fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jul 5, 2023