Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

In my mind the church is keeping very close tabs on everyone born during draculas death

Everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

And that my friends is the end of the LP!

As always thanks so so much for watching along, we always appreciate your comments and support.

We'll be continuing on with Bloodborne after a week off, I'd expect a debut on Wednesday the 8th of June, which I imagine is going to be absolutely hilarious for everyone involved.

A huge thanks as always needs to go to Bifauxnen who continues to do us the favour of making these very cool title cards for each episode.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 28, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

In my mind the church is keeping very close tabs on everyone born during draculas death

Everyone.

In a surprise announcement, the Pope urged everyone to use contraception only for the following week. "Things should be resolved by then" he said in a press conference Tuesday, "not that anything's happening. Just a confluence of holy events that you needn't concern yourselves with." The holy leader clarified that non-procreative sex would return to being a sin February 17.

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I don't think Aria's hard mode changes a whole lot, it's mostly just boosts to enemy damage and HP across the board as far as I know. The biggest change it makes is actually a smattering of exclusive equipment you can find, some of which are pretty fun (let's see... I know there's the Kaiser Knuckles, Silver Gun, Death's Scythe and Death's Robe, are there any others?). I prefer to play on hard because I like those items but it's not that different.

You can also do new game plus, which lets you keep all your souls and gear; you can change the difficulty to hard for that if you want.

Also, there are some neat rewards for beating the boss rush (though they're mostly novelties). Depending on how quickly you finish, you can get various weapons which will be added to the file you played on. There's Excalibur (which is hilarious, because Soma swings it while it's still stuck in a stone; he's not Arthur to pull it out!), Valmanway (which is a new name for the Crissaegrim from Symphony, though I don't think it's quite as stupidly overpowered here as it was), and Positron Rifle, which is just absurd in every possible way.

There is one quirk to Julius mode which I don't think you touched on. Julius doesn't level up (and has no inventory screen, so he can't get equipment), but he does gain substantial stat boosts from the orb things after killing bosses. Some of the bosses will be a lot harder if you go straight to them rather than killing the easier ones first.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Not to say Julius isn't best Belmont, but isn't the reason Dracula isn't around* anymore because J convinced** D to give up on being lord of evil? I doubt even J could punch Dracula so hard he couldn't return the next century if he wished to.

*yeah yeah Soma is around, you get what I mean
**and then there was an epic duel between the two

Unrelated: Ecclesia is hard?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Omobono posted:

It's got a very difficult beginning where you don't really have options to make the stuff it throws at you easier. The Lighthouse is probably the wall that defines the game for most people. Great boss, but tricky as heck for a new player.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Until you get a good set of glyphs going, yeah. I wouldn't put it near Circle though, that game is just dickish.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
The only time Circle gets truly bullshit is how you don't know what a particular DSS card combo does until you actually do it, and considering some of these combos involve inputting a random set of buttons like a fighting game without telling you what exactly that is, yeah, annoying. And it can be kind of dumb when some certain late game enemies will use wide ranged projectile attacks that come from off screen. You can go into a new room, just business as usual, and BAM! You just got lasered out of nowhere.

Other than that, it's great. Tough, but fair. Considering how games back in the early-mid aughts were kinda getting easier on average, it really does feel like good old school NES/SNES gameplay without falling into some of the design quirks of Soulsborne type games. And I liked how the extra modes in that one could actually be punishing, even the ones where you're stronger than usual, unlike most Igavania's, where it's just steamrolling most of the opposition. Never did complete the Arena period, even in Fighter mode or whatever it's called.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 21:12 on May 28, 2022

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Omobono posted:

Not to say Julius isn't best Belmont, but isn't the reason Dracula isn't around* anymore because J convinced** D to give up on being lord of evil? I doubt even J could punch Dracula so hard he couldn't return the next century if he wished to.

*yeah yeah Soma is around, you get what I mean
**and then there was an epic duel between the two

Id like to think Julius really is (was) that strong. But it was a group effort too. Alucard and a (DoS stuff):Hakuba shrine priest plus an entire army worked together to bring ol drac his final death and seal the castle in the eclipse.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Also the whole part that Dracula's soul was out loose. Which means Dracula is dead and I doubt he committed suicide or anything.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Shitenshi posted:

The only time Circle gets truly bullshit is how you don't know what a particular DSS card combo does until you actually do it, and considering some of these combos involve inputting a random set of buttons like a fighting game without telling you what exactly that is, yeah, annoying. And it can be kind of dumb when some certain late game enemies will use wide ranged projectile attacks that come from off screen. You can go into a new room, just business as usual, and BAM! You just got lasered out of nowhere.

Other than that, it's great. Tough, but fair. Considering how games back in the early-mid aughts were kinda getting easier on average, it really does feel like good old school NES/SNES gameplay without falling into some of the design quirks of Soulsborne type games. And I liked how the extra modes in that one could actually be punishing, even the ones where you're stronger than usual, unlike most Igavania's, where it's just steamrolling most of the opposition. Never did complete the Arena period, even in Fighter mode or whatever it's called.

On the plus side, if you know what you are doing there is a glitch in Circle.

You don't have to actually unlock the card to get the magic, you just need one combination of two cards. Press the button to activate the spell you do have, then while the animation is still happening, pause the game, and highlight any other combination. Then, when you unpause, you will have activated the combination you highlighted, regardless if you own any of the cards in the combo. OTOH, if you don't have the cards unlocked, you won't even have any idea of what you just combined.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Thanks for the LP, was good stuff.

For a real treat, check out the TAS of the game, or of Julius mode if you're short on time. It's pretty great!

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hello, just wanted to say I've been enjoying your LPs recently, and am drinking a cup of Yorkshire Tea right now.

I played the Advance Collection last year and while intellectually I agree Aria is the best, most polished of the lot, Circle of the Moon is the one I had on GBA years back so it gets my affection. It's got some BS in it, but it's well-balanced BS? But going from Aria to Circle probably feels like a big regression if you haven't played the earlier one.

Harmony of Dissonance, uh, exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Finally finished watching this, and add me to the group who thought that after the display of skill that was Hollow Knight, Nat would have an easier time with it.

Would absolutely love to see Nat tackle more of the portable Metroidvanias too, especially the mentioned Circle and Ecclesia, which actually are my favourites. Order of Ecclesia isn't just my favourite DS (or portable) Metroidvania, it's my favourite Castlevania, period.