Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Having worked in live theater and various aspects of TV production (though I'm more on the office side of media nowadays), I've wanted to make a thread about this for a while. We take a lot of wrestling production for granted, from the ring crew setting everything up and squatting down at ringside, to the lighting and overall look of stage and entrance setups, to the sound mixers and music composers, to the backstage crew making sure all the cameras are where they're supposed to be and putting together epic video packages for big PPV feud payoffs. That's mostly by design, because the best production is the kind of stuff you never see or think about while watching a product. So I figured we should have an ongoing thread about the backstage/unseen aspects of the business.

Venue-wise, I think the best looking venue that hosts wrestling on a regular basis is probably KBS Hall because the Old Testament stained glass wall looks amazing.

On another note, one of my pet peeves with a lot of indies is that the ropes often suck, or the turnbuckles are too loose to reliably stand on. MLW is probably the biggest offender I can think of off the top of my head for ropes, with its weird uneven plastic tubing:

So let's talk about ring construction, LED ramp snakes, cool venues, entrance themes, corporate office shenanigans, :camera6: in a worst-case scenario, and what have you.

sticklefifer fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

the first time I saw hammerstein on a 1am ecw hardcore tv I thought it was the coolest loving place to hold wrestling ever and I'm sad that the price/regulations killed it as a frequent venue.

and the wavy rope thing drives me up a wall as well, it's always the first thing i notice

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
I was at a NEW show the other night and part of the ring apron literally broke during a Rumble-style match. It was mostly 2-3 guys in at once, but once the ring filled up with about 7 or 8, the hard cam side of the ring apron couldn't hold the weight anymore. I guess they were using cheap struts. Show looked great otherwise and they've really stepped up their production values, but that was a weird hiccup.

Here's a before and after:

I don't know if you can really see the difference in the before pic, but the middle of the near side in the after pic is drooping by a good 6" or so.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Budokan and Sumo Hall are probably my favorite large scale venues visually for wrestling as they were designed for Sumo/Combat sports so everything feels close and personal in ways that modern NHL/NBA arenas can't match