Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Better than Crimes of Grindelwald, not as good as the first one, part 3 of 4 in the Dumbledore vs Grindelwalld Fight Prequel Series is here.

The poster that back in the day said these movie screenplays are written as decent books that should then have been trimmed down for the movie adaptation is stil eternally correct, once again it's a weird film. Hot take it's dumb but there were some lovely scenes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Is that Prince Charles?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
This is like half a movie. And not in the unfinished sense. Like, you know how in most plots the main character will do something and all the side characters will do poo poo off screen? This movie is nothing but the scenes that should have been done off screen while the actual main characters do the plot out of view. So nothing happens and the plot resolves its self.

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
the same is true of the big lebowski, owned, wrap it up hatey potters

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Vitamin P posted:

Better than Crimes of Grindelwald, not as good as the first one, part 3 of 4 in the Dumbledore vs Grindelwalld Fight Prequel Series is here.

The poster that back in the day said these movie screenplays are written as decent books that should then have been trimmed down for the movie adaptation is stil eternally correct, once again it's a weird film. Hot take it's dumb but there were some lovely scenes.

big fan of two characters who together had a total of about 45 seconds of screen time in the last film get promoted to poster status for this one, while the most interesting character from the first two got ditched because she's vocal about JK Rowling being a chud.

Edit: For those who have seen it, do they resolve the plot from the last film with Queenie switching sides in any meaningful way?

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 17, 2022

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Still wishing this series was about a wizard Steve Irwin who travels around looking for magical Pokémon, helping fend off threats to their habitat, and rescue them from the recurring villain who wants to put the beasts in his zoo in Atlantis.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

big fan of two characters who together had a total of about 45 seconds of screen time in the last film get promoted to poster status for this one, while the most interesting character from the first two got ditched because she's vocal about JK Rowling being a chud.

The most interesting character from the first two was that 600 y/o alchemist dude that showed up for approximately one minute then hosed off forever.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edit: For those who have seen it, do they resolve the plot from the last film with Queenie switching sides in any meaningful way?

Meaningful? No. She spends most of the movie just kind of hanging around not doing anything and then Jacob talks to her for like 30 seconds and she changes back to good.

Nuebot posted:

This is like half a movie. And not in the unfinished sense. Like, you know how in most plots the main character will do something and all the side characters will do poo poo off screen? This movie is nothing but the scenes that should have been done off screen while the actual main characters do the plot out of view. So nothing happens and the plot resolves its self.

Yeah for a 2 1/2 hour movie it feels like nothing happens. If you've seen any of the trailers you've pretty much seen the movie.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

Fantastic Scripts And How Not To Write Them

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Probably the weirdest part of the entire movie is when the credits come up and it has one that says "Based on a screenplay by JK Rowling" in addition to the written by credits.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

muscles like this! posted:

Probably the weirdest part of the entire movie is when the credits come up and it has one that says "Based on a screenplay by JK Rowling" in addition to the written by credits.

IIRC didn't her husband write the first two scripts or something?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Not a harry Potter fan by any stretch but this movie sucked rear end. The best parts were the black witch lady and the fantastic beast scorpion things. Everything else was bad. The New Yorker human guy was fine but basically didnt do anything.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

muscles like this! posted:

That must explain the whole "everybody whose not talking or actively on camera just stand around with their thumbs up their asses until it's time to say some lines."

It was remarkable how many minutes of film were devoted to actors staring blankly into depths of the green screens surrounding them.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I like how at the end the guy marries the girl who went nazi and had no redemption arc whatsoever but it's happy because uh um, well the bad guy got away and all his followers are still there and uh well

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Neo Rasa posted:

IIRC didn't her husband write the first two scripts or something?

No, she wrote those by herself. This time they brought in Steve Kloves who wrote 7 of the 8 Potter films to try and make it work better. I am watching it on HBO Max right now and it doesnt' seem to have worked. This poo poo is DIRE

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It seems like it didn't matter who they brought in, it was pretty weak material to begin with and Rowling still unfortunately has a lot of clout to push through her plot points

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

No, she wrote those by herself. This time they brought in Steve Kloves who wrote 7 of the 8 Potter films to try and make it work better. I am watching it on HBO Max right now and it doesnt' seem to have worked. This poo poo is DIRE

I saw the first two. The first was pretty good. The second... wasn't. I wasn't going to spend money at a theater to watch the third but might check it out since I have HBOmax, but am now having second thoughts about that.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

I started the third one on HBOMax and kind of shut it off after a few minutes. That says a lot. The plotting feels that arbitrary.

It's almost like starting the franchise with a particular story focus (fantastic beasts) and protagonist (Newt Scamander) and then rendering it and him totally irrelevant to the evolving conflict was a bad idea. I feel like the script must read, "and then this" "and then this" "and then this." The connective thread or thematic push of any of it isn't really there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Xealot posted:

I started the third one on HBOMax and kind of shut it off after a few minutes. That says a lot. The plotting feels that arbitrary.

It's almost like starting the franchise with a particular story focus (fantastic beasts) and protagonist (Newt Scamander) and then rendering it and him totally irrelevant to the evolving conflict was a bad idea. I feel like the script must read, "and then this" "and then this" "and then this." The connective thread or thematic push of any of it isn't really there.

Well, it probably won't be more than a couple of years before Fantastic Beasts: Raiding the Lost Ark.